Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
15,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was checking out Scorpion's site and was noticing some things that can be added to a FF to make it better for winter riding. Specifically the breather box and the double pain shields. Anyone have any experience with these or any other models? I was thinking about trying them out because I ride all winter and fogging is a PITA. Any idea on just how much a difference those wind skirts make?

On a somewhat side note, I really think Scorpion makes some of the nicest looking FF out there. I know it doesn't have some of the options that the more expensive brands do but I think they're awesome. I wore my EXO-700 this morning in anticipation of heavy rain that appears like it's near. I forgot how much I liked that helmet.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Have you tried a windproof balaclava under the helmet? I've got a long one that tucks down well below the collar of my jacket. Works wonders in cold weather.

·
Registered
15,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have you tried a windproof balaclava under the helmet? I've got a long one that tucks down well below the color of my jacket. Works wonders in cold weather.
The cold isn't really my issue. I normally where a half-shell but am going to wear my FF for the winter. Fogging is my issue. The items I'm talking about are supposed to correct that.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Ah, gotcha. Yeah, that's a pain. The HJC I've got supports the pinlock anti-fog inserts, but I haven't had a chance to try them out yet. Cat Crap might work too.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I was checking out Scorpion's site and was noticing some things that can be added to a FF to make it better for winter riding. Specifically the breather box and the double pain shields. Anyone have any experience with these or any other models? I was thinking about trying them out because I ride all winter and fogging is a PITA. Any idea on just how much a difference those wind skirts make?
I can't speak about these or similar for riding, but I know double pain makes a world of difference in paintball. I'd never wear a single pain there as they fog up a LOT more often. I imagine it'd help out on a helmet as well.

·
2x the bike for 1/2 the $
1,175 Posts
I just leave my scorpion exo sitting in the garage and wear my shortie and a neoprene face mask. Works great for me. :)

·
Registered
15,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just leave my scorpion exo sitting in the garage and wear my shortie and a neoprene face mask. Works great for me. :)
Yeah, that's what I did last year and have been doing in the rain as well. I've been having issues with my glasses fogging as well so I decided to give the FF a go.

·
Line rider
326 Posts
I just picked up an HJC IS-16. It has the nose guard and a chin curtain to keep the wind from blowing up the front of the helmet. Plenty of vents that can be opened or closed depending on how cool you want to be. Also the anti-fog visor seems to work well. I get no fogging while riding and it takes a while before fogging becomes a problem when stopped, usually the light turns before I have to pop the visor. It's also been getting good reviews from places that aren't normally HJC positive. My headtrip half wasn't keeping me warm enough during the early morning ride to work in 28 degrees.

This color is like a shiny gunmetal and looks really nice. BMW used to run this color on a few models. They also have flat black, gloss black, white and graphic heavy models. I took the forehead sticker off, looks much better without.

·
Registered
15,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK, well it appears that I was somewhat dumb this morning. :oops: I had my sunglasses on and what I thought was the shield fogging as well was only my glasses. :oops: I just rode home without the sunglasses and there was no fogging in the rain.

Still curious to know what people think about the above items since I'm sure as the temps get colder I'll have an issue. I do remember riding last winter a few times in the FF and that happened.

·
1,175 Posts
Yeah, that's what I did last year and have been doing in the rain as well. I've been having issues with my glasses fogging as well so I decided to give the FF a go.
Gotcha. My glasses will only start to fog if I'm at a stop light. They're fine while I'm riding. I found that if I just pull the glasses away from my eyes a little bit (kinda breaking the seal between them and my face) while at a stop, they dont fog up. Then I just push em all the way back against my face before taking off down the road again.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Hey Ryan,
I use the Pin Lock inserts in a FF. I actually tested the inserts in a KBC helmet for them. I'm using it right now in a Shoei (since they took my KBC). They work great and they are easy to swap out the different tints. They're available for KBC, Shoei, Arai, and HJC helmets. If you want to have a look at it just let me know and I'll take a ride over.

·
ULTIMATE Forum Supporter
7,748 Posts
Hey Ryan,
I use the Pin Lock inserts in a FF. I actually tested the inserts in a KBC helmet for them. I'm using it right now in a Shoei (since they took my KBC). They work great and they are easy to swap out the different tints. They're available for KBC, Shoei, Arai, and HJC helmets. If you want to have a look at it just let me know and I'll take a ride over.
I frequent a UK moto site and they all seem to swear by their Pinlocks as well, and they know about riding in the cold and wet.

·
1,175 Posts
i dont understand, doesn't the exo-700 come with the everclear no fog shield? I have the exo-400 and the stock clear shield is anti fog and works great and so is the smoke shield i bought. I thought the 700 was a bit more expensive in comparison?
I have the EXO 400 as well, and although it does have an "everclear no fog shield", i've still experienced some fogging with it.

·
Registered
15,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i dont understand, doesn't the exo-700 come with the everclear no fog shield? I have the exo-400 and the stock clear shield is anti fog and works great and so is the smoke shield i bought. I thought the 700 was a bit more expensive in comparison?
You must have missed the below post. :oops:

OK, well it appears that I was somewhat dumb this morning. :oops: I had my sunglasses on and what I thought was the shield fogging as well was only my glasses. :oops: I just rode home without the sunglasses and there was no fogging in the rain.

Still curious to know what people think about the above items since I'm sure as the temps get colder I'll have an issue. I do remember riding last winter a few times in the FF and that happened.

·
Workin' to ride
559 Posts
I have three Scorpion helmets, 2 700's and one 1000. I find the anti-fog worked great when it was brand new, but now I get fogging on all. I think it's because the Plexus spray I've used on the shields has washed off the anti-fog coating. I don't know how you're supposed to clean the shields without doing that. Anyone have any ideas?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts