Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
V2K Classic
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many ride when the temperatures are mid 30's to high 40's?

I love riding in these temperatures when dressed properly.

·
but still a NooBie
1,104 Posts
After several days of rain and a couple of busy weekends, I dressed out and took a short 25-mile ride "just to keep the battery charged." :biggrin: The high for the day was 42 degrees. Of course, I was the only bike on the road.

·
2x the bike for 1/2 the $
1,175 Posts
I've went for a few couple hour rides over the last week, just for the enjoyment of riding. No actual destination. Its been between 35 and 40. I have no problem with it. I wont ride in the morning when there could be ice on the roads, but a cold pleasure ride later in the day is nice.

·
Live to Ride
185 Posts
Sand & Salt

As soon as we start getting snow they start sanding and salting the road. I also do not have the luxury of being able to just pull out of a garage. I keep my bike in front of my apartment covered until she gets put away. I would rather keep it safe up here in the North East and keep her away for the winter. Had our first storm on Saturday and expecting another 6 inches tomorrow. Winter is upon us.

·
900 LT
1,135 Posts
I winterize my bike by adding clothing to the saddle bags, filling it with fuel and pointing it to the garage door.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I rode the Vulcan 500 from Roanoke to Atlanta (430 miles) overnight on Thanksgiving when it was in the high 30's. Chily, but very do-able with the right gear on. It's parked in the garage now while I wait for the new rear tire to come in, but as soon as that's sorted I'll be back on it for daily commuting when the roads are clear.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I don't ride everyday during the winter anymore but do try to get out at least once a week. (Age may have something to do with that.) I will have 50 years riding experience this Christmas going back to my "scoot" I received as my present from my father. Back to the subject, but on New Years day I always ride however many miles the days high temp is. If it is 30 degrees, I ride thirty miles out and back. Last year I stopped in some little podunk town in northern Alabama and had the local law asking me what I was up to within three minutes of stepping off my bike. :D

·
I'm your Huckleberry
3,317 Posts
Of course...those temps aren't bad at all (with the right gear). I've gone down to 20F. I think I'll end up pushing that lower this year, but it really won't be that impressive...as this year I'm only riding 3 miles (one way) to campus...not 100 (one way).

Won't be riding today though...lots of precipitation coming...big chance of ice. :frown:

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
An amazing thing happens this time of year, when the temps, get down below 40. for some reason, my bike refuses to leave the garage. Hopefully soon , we'll get some decent weather (after this winter storm leaves).

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
I try to get out as much as I can all winter. Not 200 mile joy rides, but 50 mile get some fresh air type rides. Once there is a lot of sand and salt on the road, I don't ride as much.

·
MadMac
246 Posts
My wife and I have a temperature range for riding of 35 to 90 degrees. We have the riding gear to cover the entire range of temperatures from electrics and full face helmets for the cold weather and mesh and 3/4 helmets for the warm/hot weather. The trick is to have the gear and a nice, big windshield like our Vulcans have. Our rides at this time of year tend to be no more than 100 miles while our rides in the spring and summer and early fall run about 200 to 300 miles.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I ride in those temperature ranges, but my wife's temp range is around 50 and up.I might get to ride tomorrow and thursday if the weather woman is correct.:D

·
Deeppurple52
2,072 Posts
We ride all year around and, yes it does get below freezing here and very cold in surrounding mountains. Regardless of the conditions, having the right gear is everythng.

·
Fat Bottomed Girl
15,029 Posts
I do it all the time in late October through November and then again in parts of March. Come December, it gets cold around here. :)

·
The Bassman Rocketh
25,244 Posts
The temps don't bother me as much as the road conditions. Properly geared, you can ride in the 20s, 30s and 40s with no problems. Ice and other winter stuff that can be on the roads will keep my bike in the garage long before the temp does.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Here in NW Iowa I ride in those temps until snow and ice cover the roads. With good gear cold temps are not a problem

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
I realize about the clothing, but when it gets cold , i prefer my other Kawasaki , the snowmobile

·
Registered
17 Posts
Still new to the bike, and still new to being back on. With the right gear, I'll ride 12 out of 12 months, but not in snow, heavy rain or ice. Gotta have some sense :)

·
08 Vulcan 900 Classic
106 Posts
I have the gear for temps into the low 30s but haven't tested it any low. I only have a 30 minute commute to work and alot of that is at stop lights so it gives me time to warm-up.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts