Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in need of a pair of winter gloves. i would like a pair that are totally windproof and will keep my fingers warm. i don't need waterproof because I don't ride in the rain.
there are so many gloves out there but i thought you guys could help me out. any suggestions would be cool. thanks!

·
Registered
741 Posts
I have no idea what part of the country you live in or how cold the weather, but here in central AZ where it gets from about the low 30's to the 20's in the early or late hours my deer skin gauntlets from Fox Creek Leathers do the job for me. On really long or cold rides I wear a pair of silk liners inside them. Fox Creek products are so great...I have a lot of them from leather chaps & jeans to vests to summer weight gloves. They guarantee and also will repair damaged leathers if the unthinkable occurs.
foxcreekleathers.com

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have no idea what part of the country you live in
i should have mentioned this. i live in sacramento, california. it's not terribly cold. it's been in the low 40s but can get as cold as the low 30s in the middle of winter.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I'll be looking at 30'F and colder temps here in a few weeks. I recently went through the same thing in thinking about gloves. These are what I settled on to try http://www.newenough.com/tour_master_polartex_gloves_page.htm . You can get a lot more expensive, but I want to see how well these will work. I also plan to install some heated grip wraps.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I guess we have 'similar' weather in general so... I have an ordinary pair of leather biker gloves that I use most of the year. (In fact now in summer, I often ride without gloves at all, it's comfortable, but I'm not sure how clever it is).

Winters are typically lows of 0 to 5 (ummm, 32 - 40) and highs quite comfortable - so during the coldest part of winter I use a pair of skiing gloves. They do keep my hands nice and warm, but they are a bit thick. (It's like riding your bike through a duvet) :?

The worst part is when it is cold, then I have to carry both pairs of gloves because in the afternoon, the thick ones are too warm

Sorry - this post does not help you at all, does it? :?

·
Registered
447 Posts
hot_shoe_cv said:
I have no idea what part of the country you live in or how cold the weather, but here in central AZ where it gets from about the low 30's to the 20's in the early or late hours my deer skin gauntlets from Fox Creek Leathers do the job for me. On really long or cold rides I wear a pair of silk liners inside them. Fox Creek products are so great...I have a lot of them from leather chaps & jeans to vests to summer weight gloves. They guarantee and also will repair damaged leathers if the unthinkable occurs.
foxcreekleathers.com
Hi hot_shoe_cv!!

Where did you get the silk liners??

Thanks! :D

·
Registered
741 Posts
I think I got the liners from wintersilks.com
They have several different weights & colors from about $9 a pair. It is amazing how such apparently flimsy gloves can add to the warmth of outer gloves. Re the Fox Creek gloves... many of their models have what they call a Keystone thumb, which is sewn at an angle to grip the handle bars at a natural angle

·
Registered
53 Posts
Another option guys is to go to a ski swap or to a ski shop and try some leather ski racing gloves. Sometimes you can get used ones dirt cheap. I used to use an old pair of Solomon leather ski gloves and they were the best at keeping the paws warm and blocking the wind - well they are made for skiing right ?! I have a newer pair of leather ski gloves now, made by Reusch, and like the old Solomon gloves they have reasonably thick leather. There are no rivets in the palms like my Teknic bike gloves, but should they survive at least one good scrape, and as a bonus they are even black so they don't look weird.
Just another option,
Greg

1 - 9 of 9 Posts