Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Patriot Guard Rider
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im good till about 55 degrees. Thats in my "normal" riding gear.

This consists of

no helmet
hoodie underneath my normal jacket
thermal underwear under my normal pants
cheapy gloves from WalMart

Im thinking of buying some heated stuff but Im questioning how effective it is and nobody near my rides in the winter so I have no basis.

If I buy heated jacket and gloves, along with a full face helmet can I ride into the 20s/30s?

How comfortable?

How about the heated pant linings?

I dont mine putting on the heated gear and bundling up but I dont want to drop a TON of money here, will this heated stuff work decent with my normal winter jacket (not a riding jacket) and thermal/pants? Or must I spend hundreds on riding gear in addition to the heated stuff?

How long do you ride in your heated gear, where are you located?

I dont mind spending $300 to $500 to ride thru the winter but that would be my limit.

·
enjoying the ride
448 Posts
I live in Iowa City and I ride down into the 20's. I put 2-3 layers under my leather coat and my torso is good to go. I wear long uderwear under my levis and my legs are good. heavy leather boots, feet good. Full face helmet, head good. My weakest point is my hands. I have deerskin gauntlet gloves with thinsulate lining and my fingers get cold. I need better gloves and I will be very comfortable down to 25 degrees or so.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
I live in Iowa City and I ride down into the 20's. I put 2-3 layers under my leather coat and my torso is good to go. I wear long uderwear under my levis and my legs are good. heavy leather boots, feet good. Full face helmet, head good. My weakest point is my hands. I have deerskin gauntlet gloves with thinsulate lining and my fingers get cold. I need better gloves and I will be very comfortable down to 25 degrees or so.
Same here...still searching for that kind of gloves.

·
Patriot Guard Rider
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thats sounds promising.....might try just the heated jacket and gloves....along with a full face helmet. Thanks.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I don't have heated gear, and I'm in NE Nebraska, by Sioux City. Ski bibs, full face helmet, and snow mobile gloves. SOUTHERN Iowa? Hell I'd probably still be in a Tee shirt.

Dave

·
Patriot Guard Rider
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Im currently eyeballing some Carhartt Extremes coveralls......artic lined, look like some decent stuff at around $150....add some gloves and a full face helmet, might work out.

·
jerkybear's Vulcan
418 Posts
Hi ya'll! I bought some neoprene gloves from Gander Mountain and they are quite warm. I have ridden with the outside temp 31 degrees. I wear Frog Tog pants to keep my legs warm. The Frog Togs are great due to their wind resistance. When I have all my gear on, my throat is only thing that gets cold, because my neoprene mask doesnt cover my lower neck. Hope this helps. Ride safe.

·
Registered
342 Posts
The Carhartt Extremes should work very well, as for cold necks, try a fleece neck gaitor. Mine works pretty well.

Dave

Edit: Freezing temps don't allow the tires to warm up as much or as fast so be careful when starting out and there after.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts