Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
the "fun" guy
32,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Today was nearly a duplicate of yesterday which allowed me to head out once again for another brisk but beautiful ride. As promised I took my camera and took pictures along the way so you can see what the area looks like around here.

Let me give you a brief description of the pictures.

Where I live (Albion, WA) is about 40 miles from where I took the pictures which accounts for about a 1500 ft drop in elevation so the temps were actually mild compared to when I left home. The temp was around 35 degrees when I left home and about 42 degrees where the pictures were taken. This is only a small impression of this region which mostly is comprised of wheat fields however, down by the Snake river there are barges that haul lumber, grain, peas, lentils, and other goods toward the Washington / Oregon coast.

The pictures show the Snake River region and by no means capture what
differences there are as you travel along it's route. In fact you can take a
Hells Canyon Jet Boat Tour which takes you to some very pretty and hostile area up the Snake River. A few pictures show the Lewiston Idaho valley and give you a better idea of how deep Lewiston sits below the mountain range that drops down into it. I believe Lewiston is around 750 feet above sea level and at the top of the Lewiston Grade the altitude is around 2100 feet above sea level. Beyond this region heading back toward my home town is all rolling hills where wheat, lentils, peas, barley, and mustard are grown.

Not much further from my home town is a small town named Moscow Idaho and once you are there you begin to see more of a scattered forest setting mingled in with wheat fields, etc. It's a very diverse scenery for sure and allows for some beautiful areas to enjoy while riding.

There are 3 pages of pictures so be sure to click each page to see all of them.

Ok.....enough said. Here is a link to see today's pictures if you have time:

http://groups.msn.com/RCHobbiesRFun/november212004vulcanride.msnw?albumlist=2

·
Banned
3,883 Posts
Looks like it was a great ride, wish I could take the bike out but this picture was taken this AM, don't think I'd better go ridding anytime soon :roll: :roll:

·
I miss you, Deron
19,783 Posts
Beautiful pictures, whistle clean! I used to live in Portland; sure do miss the Pacific northwest.

RampRat St., where in Wyoming do you live? Looks like you got more snow than we did. We got about three inches yesterday, but the streets were dry by mid-afternoon today.

·
RIP Deron Harden :-(
32,545 Posts
pics

nice pics whistle, looks like some nice country over there.

ramrat, can you send that stuff this way ? my bike is parked anyways, so i might as well be able to use my new skis !

·
the "fun" guy
32,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks All,

Yes....we are very lucky to still be riding considering it's late November. I was watching the news and I heard them mention snow in the forecast.....but it doesn't look anything like what the picture does in Wyoming. I'm sure eventually that will change as it does every year.

Skiing would be nice....since it's inevitable that the snow will fall so why not enjoy it until we can get our bikes back on the highway again.

I have grown up "Out West" and will die "Out West" when my day comes. I have traveled back east to New York....both upstate and the city and while the upstate country is beautiful.....it just didn't do it for me. I love the wide open spaces here in the Pacific Northwest and the diverse country side.

More pictures if you have time and can show us what your area looks like. :)

·
Official BTK Forum Pot Stirrer
37,387 Posts
very nice pictures. if you find yourself west of the cascades, drop me a line. i'll make a ride with you

·
Registered
105 Posts
Very nice. My ex wife had family out in Curlew WA (north of Spokane) and in Seattle. We did the round trip drive Curlew to Seattle. It was beautiful like no place else. Too cold for me seeing as how I was born and will die Southern, but I love to visit.

Take care and ride safe.

·
the "fun" guy
32,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
spok said:
very nice pictures. if you find yourself west of the cascades, drop me a line. i'll make a ride with you
Thanks spok!

I will gladly take you up on that offer.

I went for a ride at lunch time today and man....the skies were looking black and the clouds are hovering low on the rolling hills around here. The nip is in the air! :shock:

I did manage to snap a few pictures and will try and add a link later tonight.

·
the "fun" guy
32,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
vulcanrob said:
Very nice. My ex wife had family out in Curlew WA (north of Spokane) and in Seattle. We did the round trip drive Curlew to Seattle. It was beautiful like no place else. Too cold for me seeing as how I was born and will die Southern, but I love to visit.

Take care and ride safe.

Thanks vulcanrob!

I have never been to Curlew before. Spokane and Seattle yes. I'll have to look at it on the map.

I understand how the cold can put a damper on the fun of riding. When it's nice out it's just awesome to ride.:)

I was heading home this summer on a 10 day riding vacation by myself....coming from McCall Idaho and a storm was brewing on the Palouse n Prarie and my luck ran out at about Grangeville Idaho. I was heading up the Whitebird grade and could feel the temp dropping like a lead ballon. When I got to the top of the grade there were several highway maintenance workes all huddled up along the side of the road wearing huge winter coats with hoods and drinking hot coffee and stomping their feet trying to get warm. As I topped out and on over the other side and headed down I could look out and see snow falling from the sky...like someone was painting the sky with white strokes and moving their brush left to right. The closer I got to Grangeville the colder it got. I pulled into the gas station and filled up the tank and thought about going inside for a cup of hot coffee but then I didn't want to get "Stuck" there....so off I went. I knew that about 80 miles away was the Winchester Grade and once I dropped down that to the lower elevation I would be out of the frigid cold and back to somewhat bareable temps. I saw one other guy on a touring bike and he looked huge with all of his clothes on....including a face mask. He barley waved as did I as we passed each other since all we were both thinking about I'm sure is reaching our destinations. I think I was luckier than he was since he was going the direction I had just come from.

I finally got down the bottm of the grade and just missed a huge rain storm further down but lots of water was still running on the roadway. This is how the weather changes around here late in the year. You can start out just fine.....but then your wishing you could duck for cover to get out of the cold.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts