Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ride an 07' ninja 500r that I keep in my living room when I'm not out riding (which of course is never below 75 degrees). This is pretty much my first bike considering my 89' ninja 600 didn't last but a few weeks(story in previous posts). I've read the many posts on winterization and was planning on following most of the steps. I moved to Denver about 6 months ago from louisiana and I'm not used to the unpredictable weather, well a few days after thanksgiving it snowed without notice. I turned the fuel valve off and ran the bike until it was about to die, to try and get as much fuel out of the carbs as possible, then I parked the bike in my living room like I always do. It's been about a month and I haven't been able to take it out yet, and I'm concerned that I might be causing damage. It has about 535 miles on it and I was about to change the oil (600 mile change as in manual) when It randomly snowed.

My question is, am I possibly causing damage to the carbs or anything else by not changing the break in oil, and/or not draining the gas tank? If not is there anything I can do to prevent damage?

Any suggestions or advice is always welcomed.:smile:

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
The short answer is: You're fine.

The long answer is: If you plan on it sitting without running for 3 or more months, addition of fuel stabilizer and putting the battery on a trickle charger are recommended. If you wanna be really anal next year, you can warm it up, change the oil, add stabilizer to the gas, run it around the block, and put it away with said trickle charger on the battery. If it's in a damp environment, lube the chain before you put it away too.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks so much, after investing alot of money in the bike, of course it got me really worried. I know that I don't have a stock battery, when I picked up the bike from the dealership the battery in it was dead so instead of making me wait for it to charge they put some new battery in it. The tech said it was a maintanence free battery or something(if thats even possible) and that it was a huge uprade from the stock one.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Just so you know, maintenance free merely means you don't have to check acid levels on a monthly basis. You'll still want a trickle charger if you don't use it over the winter.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea, I figured that........ I'm hoping for a day soon where I can safely go out for a ride. Thank you for all of your help, I visit this forum daily mainly to gather info. I don't really post much yet because I'm still new to the game. One of these days I'll post up pics of my bike, I have a few small (non-performance) mods planned for the time it will be inside.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts