Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Stealth Custom
4,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would it better to switch over to synthetic oil before winterization or after?
I just read something that said that the synth is better for winter......

QUOTE: "Synthetic oils have a big advantage for winter storage. The increased film strength of synthetic oils means it takes considerably longer for the oil to all drain down to the oil pan, so when you finally do start your engine there's still a little oil on all the bearings. Also, synthetics offer superior protection for cold weather starts. If you drained out normal oil and replaced it with synthetic, you have to start the motor and run it for a minute to get the synthetic oil pumped all throughout the motor."
from Hauling, Shipping, Storing your Motorcycle

also, is Sea Foam okay as fuel stabilizer?

Thanks......
Robb

·
Stealth Custom
4,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Okay, now this page says to use cheap regular oil.......
QUOTE: "Also, you're probably going to get rid of this oil fairly early next season, so don't get the latest, greatest, $9/quart synthetic ambrosia. Get cheap-*** oil. If you're paying more than $1.25/qt, you're paying too much"

"If you stored the bike for more than two months, do an oil change. "What, again?!" you say? Yeah, it's probably a good idea. The cheap oil you stored the bike with probably absorbed a bunch of icky combustion byproducts that the pre-storage oil change didn't remove. Hey, that's why you used cheap stuff -- you're getting rid of it. Feel free to use $9/qt synthetic ambrosia this time, or whatever motor oil makes you feel best. You do not need to change the filter this time, but do make sure you recycle the old oil properly."

·
Power Hungry V2K Rider
6,395 Posts
Do you really believe the missives of a schiod? <G> I use Mobile 1 full time and do one change a year. (I know, I'm a strange one). I believe that the synthetic does a good job of protecting the bearings and slidie parts when I start it up again later.

And, yes, I change it in the fall. That way it has proteciton through the winter months and I don't waste time and energy in the spring.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts