Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As this is going to be the first winter for my first bike VN900, i need you guys help. I got Seafoum and Battery juicer. Tomorrow im going to put my bike to sleep for next 3 months.
1. Fillup the tank
2. while engine is hot, put the whole bottle of seafoum in the gas tank.
3. Go for a little ride to make the seafoum mix well.
4. Connect the battery juicer
5. Let it sleep for next 3 months.

Does the above mentioned steps are right? Am i missing any?

·
Registered
604 Posts
Disconnect the battery before putting the trickle charge on. Best to actually remove it from the bike. Cover the bike too... even if it's indoors. Otherwise you'll have an inch of dust on it by spring. (voice of experience speaking, sucked to clean that first time out ;) )

·
Barrett Motorcycle Repair
202 Posts
Stabilizers only really work on semi fresh gas not month old stuff , dont let it sit in 1 spot the whole winter roll it forward&backward and be sure to change the steering angles 1 month to the left 1 month to the right 1 month centered up saves on the chance of flat spotting a bearing , over infalte the tires to prevent gathering of the sidewall leading to cracking when the tire is properly inflated tires will lose a pound of air a month in normal conditions it also helps to coat the entire bike except tires and leather items with WD40 and place a couple of sand bags on the floor near your ride they will absorb moisture and keep it off your bike if you can take the battery in the house unless your garage is heated

·
Power Hungry V2K Rider
6,395 Posts
raja - Which battery charger are you going to use? I use a Battery Tender, Jr and leave it hooked up through the whole winter. It puts out 0.75 amp and has circutry to protect the battery from over charging and/or boiling out. Standard trickle chargers can result in a motorcycle battery boiling down.

·
the "fun" guy
32,859 Posts
Don't forget to sit on the bike from time to time while making engine sounds as you wait for better riding weather to return. :)

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
raja you live in Virginia- the way you winterize it is like this- put on layers of clothes, start it up, ride for an hour, come home. Repeat as often as you can! :)

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
raja you live in Virginia- the way you winterize it is like this- put on layers of clothes, start it up, ride for an hour, come home. Repeat as often as you can! :)
Agree! This is the best winterization. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
55 Posts
raja - i'm in ashburn VA also - I rode today - it was a little cold but had a great ride -do you know if there is a riders club here in the area - should get a weekend bike ride going when roads are not covered in winter

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Even though I am in Ca. I just had an idea for those of you in colder climates. Why not start a "Polar Bear" club for motorcycles? that way you can forget about winterizing

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
I took my own advice to Raja and took a ride today here in DE. It was in the low 40's but I layered up and was nice and toasty.

·
Thanks to all Veterans!!!
16,933 Posts
Don't forget to sit on the bike from time to time while making engine sounds as you wait for better riding weather to return. :)
I don't make the sounds, I let the bike talk to me... :tongue: You gotta keep the relationship going you know?

Does anyone recommend changing the oil?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts