Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Need to fix bike
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its that time of year to put my bike away.

This is my first time putting a bike away so I have some questions.

Is it best to run teh bike out of gas(like I have always done with all my mowers), or is it best to fill the bike up and add stabilizer. If I have the stabilizer should I shut the fuel flow off and run that empty?

Thankyou.

·
I miss you, Deron
19,783 Posts
I have several motorcycle maintenance books. They all say to fill the tank and add stabilizer.

·
Registered
87 Posts
The best way to winterize your bike is to ride it all winter... Oh. Sorry, ah jes' noticed y'all are from wayyy up north.

Never mind... :wink:

·
Official BTK Forum Pot Stirrer
37,387 Posts
risdo said:
The best way to winterize your bike is to ride it all winter... Oh. Sorry, ah jes' noticed y'all are from wayyy up north.

Never mind... :wink:
here, have a little salt for you wound :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Never empty, you'll get rust

You can buy a fogging agent to fog the tank and cylinders with. Personally I'd fill it with Aviation gas (100LL) and add STABIL to the tank, and then start it every so often durring the winter...Putting extra oil on the airfilter, and wrapping the exhaust outlets with plastic wrap or inserting corks into the exhaust to prevent rusting, moisture from entering or anything else...keep the tires off of the ground (use a jack or a stand, or both) and keep the battery cables greased up and clean and use a battery tender to keeep it charging...make sure to check the water level. Keeping it covered and if you can in a covered condition in a dry warm place...even a storage shed with a light on (60W) will keep it dry and warm enough. It would be great if you could take it out on dry clear days and run it around some and then park it and store it away again properly. Changing the oil and filter, even going to a 5-30 or 0-30 would be great for storage...even if you only kick it over long enough to start it up and get it to it's proper temperature...be sure to check the manufactures recommendations on antifreeze. You will find tha tif you cover the bike with a moving and storage pad and then put a small light under it the temperature will stay relative warm...a 7 watt bulb may do the trick without causing to much heat under the pad to start a fire, and keep the engine from freezing... much of where you are storing it is the most important factor. If you can afford to get a climate controlled space and share it throughout the winter and share it with several other friends then that would be great...if someone has a basement, or a large garage that is heated that's cool...Putting the bike in an enclosed trailer and installing an electric oil filled radiator heater with a thermostat control would keep the bike warm and toasty, moisture free...

·
Need to fix bike
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The bike is going to be kept in my basement near my furnace so it will be kept plenty warm.

On nice days I may ride it around the neiborhood just to keep everything nice. That depends on teh amount of salt and sand on teh roads.

·
Registered
487 Posts
a tank of gas emmiting vapors next to a furnace :shock:
hope you have good insurance :lol:

·
RIP Deron Harden :-(
32,545 Posts
sta-bil

i've heard mixed reviews about using stabil. a friend of mine swore by it until he had to run 3 tanks of gas through the bike just to get it to run right. i fill mine and then top it off with a jug or two of drygas, just to keep the moisture out. then when it is time to run it, it will run without a problem. enjoy.

ps. glad you have warm enough days during the winter to take it out !!! it may get warm enough here occassionally, but the salt and snow tends to make it not cool to ride !

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
STABIL

I use STABIL in my gas tank on everything but when I get ready to use it I pull most of it out of the tank (siphon) and fill it with premium...I use the gas cans with STABIL mix and fresh gas for my garden tractor. Mowing 6 acres every several weeks uses it up pretty fast...that way the Camaro and our usual vehicles don't have STABIL in them because we use Ethanol blend which is 3 cents more than regular but has an octane rating 3 above the unleaded regular...I use the Ethanol blend (alcohol) throughout the winter and it is basically hte same as adding HEAT to your car except it is already mixed in and you don't have to worry about spilling or having a can around...It burns good and if you want you can always run premium...just always keep your tank full to prevent condensation...just like on a glass of tea on a hot day in july...only on the inside...that is why I use the Ethanol blended gas...to keep itall clean and burn what ever water may be in my lines and then the fuel lines won''t freeze, or wors yet the fuel pump o todays cars...and bikes...almost forgot,..

·
RIP Deron Harden :-(
32,545 Posts
stabil

Hawkshot99
sounds like ZX-2R has a better recommendation than mine. i know my info is second hand and my friend did not empty his tank, he ran it through. seems to me that he has had a lot more experience with it, so i would take his idea's into more consideration. (thanks for setting it straight Lindsey).

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
KAWASAKI

Although I prefer Kawasaki to anyother bike in the entire world, really, I would hate to see even a honda moped go to dust because someone didn't take care of it. A lawn mower engine is a great example...air cooled, no filter only a screen and usually not even a magnetic oil drain plug...keep good oil in it and change it often...when you go to store it in the winter keep it full of gs loaded with the proper amount of STABIL or waht everyou want to put in it...but change it before you try to use it...gas sours much sooner now than it used to many years ago. gas companies guess the weather as to add the proper additieves for whatever is coming our way...everherd of gas lines freezing? add a tank of ethanol mixed gas at a local gas station...Remember the alcohol dragsters...they make tremendous power...jetting is much larger and they use a lot more fuel because of that very reason...clean out that gas tank add fresh fuel and then go for a ride...leave the old spark plugs in, make sure you use anti-seize on your steel plugs in your aluminum heads...!... and change the plugs when you get ready to start the bike and changed the gas. also you should block off the exhaust pipes from mositure and plug or saran wrap the airbox shut to prevent ...anything from entering, mice, dust, moisture...bugs...disconnect your battery, clean your terminals use a dielectric grease on them and put your batttery on a battery tender to maintain its voltage....remember to use ONLY distilled water. Keep the bike jacked up off of the floor and the tires slightly underinflated until youare ready to ride it...I guess you should order the Service Manual from Beartooth Kawsaki and read it tomake sure tha tI haven't misssed some things...polish out the bike/..you could even spray the cylinders with wd-40 and many things you could. do...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts