Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Warn RT40 is bolted down on my 2008 3010 Trans Mule diesel and ready for wiring. A couple of questions that I hope you can help me with:
Where should I place the contactor?
Where should I place the mini rocker switch? The winch package came with a 90 degree mounting plate ILO a handlebar attachment bracket.
Where should I place the plug-in 10' remote hand held control? The winch bracket is 1/4" steel but has no hole drilled for the receptacle so if there is another place to mount it please let me know. There are some flat plastic areas around the driver's headlight which might be good.
Above all, how do I route the wires from the winch to the battery? Warn is very generic about these questions.
PLEASE,PHOTOS if at all possible. Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
Now you are running into why the Dealers charge to do the install on winches, and have kits that are designed for each model.

There is no real right or wrong way to mount the components, just as long as they are not interfering with other parts or moving shafts, etc., or grounding out the wiring.

Just put the components where you feel they are best for your use, and keep them out of harm's way.

As far as the connector goes, just mount it where it is not going to get ripped off by brush or rocks, and where you can easily reach it when it is under a foot or so of mud or snow. There is a universal rule, you never need the winch until it is completely inconvenient to reach the connector, and usually requires your arm in the muck up to your elbow! So, locate accordingly and save your arm in the mud. I have mine on a bracket up on the bumper tube above the Kawasaki logo, and tucked under the left top bar so it cannot get hit. That way I can avoid dunking my arm in the mud as much as possible.

As far as battery wiring, I am a stickler for using heavy duty commercial type PVC wire loom from a place like Lowes, and lots of oversized zip ties to run the loom through the frame by the driveline and then up to the battery. I mount it so it will never get loose and bump the driveline. When I am done, I then seal the ends of the loom tight with the screw on compression fittings made for that purpose. That keeps any crud from getting inside the loom and chewing up the wires. I never use the wrinkled plastic automotive loom that is split, but go to the house wiring section and buy that super strong flexible loom for real wiring.

Use common sense, and you will not go wrong.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Nickel plate

If you notice where the routing of the vent hose for the front drive is you can run the wire where this hose is located since it ends under the dash. Just be careful not to kink the vent hose. Once you have it pulled from under the dash you can remove the center plate on the floor and route the wires through that with all the other wires. I located the solenoid switch under the seat in the highest spot I could without interfering with anything else.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nickel plate

If you notice where the routing of the vent hose for the front drive is you can run the wire where this hose is located since it ends under the dash. Just be careful not to kink the vent hose. Once you have it pulled from under the dash you can remove the center plate on the floor and route the wires through that with all the other wires. I located the solenoid switch under the seat in the highest spot I could without interfering with anything else.
Hello John,
I have the forward gear compartment removed for this operation and I don't what the vent hose for the front drive looks like and not sure what wire you are refering to. Thanks for responding and please help me further understand.
Thank you RCW for your logical approach.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The project is done and all systems checked and good. Photo 1 is where I placed the 10' hand held remote plug-in next to the driver's side headlight. Photo 2 is the once-upon-a-time applied handlebar IN/OUT switch but now Warn sends a 90 degree mounting bracket for UTVs so I installed it on the steering colum yoke-look above and to the left of the throttle foot pedal. All went well but there was a lot of "figurin and cypherin" as Warn does not supply a roadmap as per UTV make and model. Just follow the electrical schematic and rout as per your UTV.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts