Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats up guys? Been havin a few problems with my 37 Chevy taillight. We wired it up to get me home last week, but since then, I've had nothing but problems. It has two single filament bulbs, one that stays always on, and the other that lights up when I hit the brakes...well, at least it's supposed to.

My question is, do we have to wire it into the rear brake light wires for it to work correctly? The only one that worked was the always on light, but not the brake light. This is an original 37 Chevy light with the push/turn bulbs, and it's in pretty crappy shape, so I planned to buy new single socket w/ pigtail to resplice, but will that even work?

Guys that have wired up a side mount plate light, how did you do it? What wires did you splice into?

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Whats up guys? Been havin a few problems with my 37 Chevy taillight. We wired it up to get me home last week, but since then, I've had nothing but problems. It has two single filament bulbs, one that stays always on, and the other that lights up when I hit the brakes...well, at least it's supposed to.

My question is, do we have to wire it into the rear brake light wires for it to work correctly? The only one that worked was the always on light, but not the brake light. This is an original 37 Chevy light with the push/turn bulbs, and it's in pretty crappy shape, so I planned to buy new single socket w/ pigtail to resplice, but will that even work?

Guys that have wired up a side mount plate light, how did you do it? What wires did you splice into?
You should have two wires going to the light. One for running light and one for brake light and then a ground off of the light to the frame.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I haven't looked at a 37 Chevy tail light, if it has two separate bulbs then you should have two separate wires, one for the tail light and the other for the stop light and both will need a good ground connection and yes they should work if connected to the correct wires. If you are using the correct bulb for a 37 Chevy it will be a 6 volt bulb not 12v so make sure you get a 12v bulb.

Later models have one bulb that has two filaments inside, one will be heavier/thicker than the other, the heavy filament is the brake light. The tail light should have two wires, one for each filament and the socket should have two connectors down inside that touch the two connectors on the bottom of the bulb, the bulb should only go in one way. Sometimes you can get a poor connection inside the socket and only one filament will light.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responses guys. It has 2 bulbs, 2 wires. There was no ground, so maybe thats why the brake light wasnt lighting. I should be using 6v bulbs? I'm gonna try and replace the bulb and socket assembly because its so old and the wires are crap. Should I be splicing it into the rear brake light wires or some other wiring? Reason I ask is the rear brake light has 3 wires (one grounded to the actual rear socket that I wont be able to get without destroying the socket), while the light only has 2. I'll try and get pics tonight when I'm off work. Thanks again guys

·
Registered
33 Posts
No you don't want to use 6v bulbs but that is what you would get if you walked into the auto parts and asked for bulbs for that year car.

You will need to wire the brake light wire into the power wire for the bikes brake light. If you need to you can unwrap some of the tape from the wiring harness to get some more exposed, that is what I did when installing a brake flasher unit.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, had it figured out for a little while. Went to the local auto parts store and bought a new single contact pigtail assembly. Spliced it into the brake light wires, and presto.....it worked. Took it out for a short ride (no seat yet), smacked a pothole I couldn't avoid, and the gauge lights and brake lights went out. Headlight and turn signals still worked. Made it home, but the brake light fuse is blown. I wrapped the connections pretty well, so I don't think any wires touched metal. Hopefully it was just the fuse. Pickin some up tomorrow, and I'm crossin my fingers that the gauge light will work too :mad:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts