Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Ninja tomato farmer
17,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm heading out the door to Robbinsville, North Carolina to face the music. On the way home from my last trip to the tail of the dragon I received a high speed driving award, so the great state of North Carolina invited me back! Wish me luck. :biggrin:

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I'm heading out the door to Robbinsville, North Carolina to face the music. On the way home from my last trip to the tail of the dragon I received a high speed driving award, so the great state of North Carolina invited me back! Wish me luck. :biggrin:
Anyone else think of the first four notes of the "Dragnet" theme?

·
Poser Proud®
3,778 Posts
Anyone else think of the first four notes of the "Dragnet" theme?
:lol: Sorry, but what CDR said was funny. I know the citation isn't funny. Talk to them maybe the judge will let you off easy.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
****, that sucks.

All the best to ya man....I hope they let you off easily.

The more i hear about this dragon place, the less the desire to ever ride it.
I like the highways in the kootenays....incredible roads, and can ride for 4 hours and not so much as see a cop.
And if they do see you, and your speeding...the chances of them ever catching up to a bike to get close enough for you to even see their lights in your mirrors is about zippo.

My pal said he passed a cop going the other way there this summer....he saw the cops brake lights come on for about 1/4 of a second, and then never saw the cop car again.

Really is not much they can do if you ask me.

They have few cops, and all the ones they do have are in cages.
Maybe train a few cops to be really good riders, and give them a ZX14 breathing spray.....and then they may catch 5 bikes a summer....lol

I hear of tons of bikes passing thru the kootenay roads, and many never see a cop...and those that do see them, have never been stopped.
I passed one a few years ago down there, and he did not even try to turn around to chase me....I think he basically thought, what is the point.....by the time he stops and turns around, accelerates back to speed, winds around the corners etc.
All I have to do is maintain the speed I am already going, and the gap between us would just continue to grow and grow.
My 3 pals I was with all asked each other if they saw the cop car, when we stopped for gas finally about 100 kms further away....we all did, and all said he never even braked to slow and turn.
I was leading, and glanced in my mirror, but never saw a light either.
The raod is narrow as heck, and twisty and hilly as can be , and still have traffic actually get over it.
And we were all doing I bet 3 times the posted limit when we met the cop coming at us head on....I could see the radar unit on his dashboard even....hence why i expected him to turn and chase us down.

The locals told us hey basically do not bother unless its maybe a real low slung chopper styl bike that handles like crap....them they will chase as they may actually catch up to them.
The dude at the gas station actually said a cop told him this....the rest they just let fly by, and dang did i laugh.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
I am curious.
If this dragon is so twisty, and the cops say you are speeding.

How the heck do they manage to stop so many bikes?

Do they all ride crotch rockets, and have incredible skills?

Surely a caged cop, on a never ending serpentine road, is not catching a biker doing any speed at all.

So I am curios, as I have not been there to watch them catch the bikes.

Dod they chase ya down with a helicopter and land in front of you, forcing ya to stop or something?

·
03 ZX-12R
609 Posts
Never ridden the dragon, huh? :)
It's so twisty, you really couldn't "get away", it's pretty much a relatively low-speed highly technical road. You're normally riding between 30 and 55. And yes, cars can whip through there nearly as well as bikes, besides on extreme twisties, often times 4 wheels on the ground is far more stable than two. I've been down there (unfortunately) during 2 car rallies. (Miata, then Mini coopers). I can assure you that if you were trying to "get away", you'd find yourself tumbling down a cliff or impaled into an embankment. There are MANY scarred trees to remind you of the dangers of not respecting the dragon. (also, google the "Tree of Shame" a big tree at The Crossroads of Time (Deal's Gap) nicely decorated with hundreds of various victim's bike parts) Last time we were there a young lady with us "donated" the green ZX6 upper about half way up the trunk of the tree.
But to answer your question when they "crack down" on the dragon it's usually a "team effort". One guy with a radar gun and half-mile down the road there's a friendly officer to wave you to the side of the road.

the dragon is fun once, maybe twice a day. I prefer the Cherohala Skyway between the two. But since I've moved to Denver, I've found incredible roads that easily rival those.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
It's so twisty, you really couldn't "get away", it's pretty much a relatively low-speed highly technical road. You're normally riding between 30 and 55. And yes, cars can whip through there nearly as well as bikes, besides on extreme twisties, often times 4 wheels on the ground is far more stable than two. I've been down there (unfortunately) during 2 car rallies. (Miata, then Mini coopers). I can assure you that if you were trying to "get away", you'd find yourself tumbling down a cliff or impaled into an embankment. There are MANY scarred trees to remind you of the dangers of not respecting the dragon. (also, google the "Tree of Shame" a big tree at The Crossroads of Time (Deal's Gap) nicely decorated with hundreds of various victim's bike parts) Last time we were there a young lady with us "donated" the green ZX6 upper about half way up the trunk of the tree.
But to answer your question when they "crack down" on the dragon it's usually a "team effort". One guy with a radar gun and half-mile down the road there's a friendly officer to wave you to the side of the road.

the dragon is fun once, maybe twice a day. I prefer the Cherohala Skyway between the two. But since I've moved to Denver, I've found incredible roads that easily rival those.
I would not actually run from the cops.
Just wonder how they stop people is all.
It sounds like a nearly never ending corner.....so if a rider is going so fast that they need to be written a ticket, who would be crazy enough to step out in front of you or something.
The time from them seeing you coming, getting a solid radar reading, and then trying a stop would be a split second if in a turn....same for some guy getting a radio call down the road, and then determining it was for sure you via the description given....you would if speeding be a glimpse in his eyes as you flashed by.....he would be saying to himself, yup that guy met the description i got of the bike, leathers, and helmet, and flash, your gone.
If he stepped out in front of you he and you both are going to the hospital are you not?

Not for a trillion dollars would i step out in front of a speeding bike in the middle of a turn.....unless I was the bionic man and could leap over the bike as it came at me.

Guess I must be missing something here is all.

Or else the cops there are very brave, and also very stupid.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
dude, the speed limit on the dragon is 30. You might reach 55 in short bursts. They're crackdowns are well orchestrated, and yes, at times they DO use helicopters.
Spend an hour or two on Tail of the Dragon at Deals Gap and Cherohala Skyway, Graham Co, NC and you'll probably get a better understanding.
Thanks.....I guess I just cannot grasp a cop stepping out in front of a speeding bike is all.
All that goes thru my mind is the deer that ran in front of me mid corner years ago.

The deer died, my wing was totalled, and me and the passenger hurt.....once leaned over and going at any speed is not the time for a cop to suddenly pop out in front of you. :eek:

·
I miss you, Deron
19,783 Posts
dude, the speed limit on the dragon is 30. You might reach 55 in short bursts.
This reminds me a big of the two major river canyons up our way--Poudre and Big Thomspon. The posted speed limits are quite low through most of the canyons, but you can get your speed up pretty fast. The cars tend to go fairly slow, though, and I feel uncomfortable passing on those twisty roads. Both really fun roads to ride, though, with fantastic scenery.

Have you done any riding up this way since you moved to Colorado, Connman?

·
03 ZX-12R
609 Posts
Hey jukief,
Oh yeah! I've been out here for about 5 yrs. (although 2 were bikeless) I primarily go out West. I love Lookout Mtn road, Squaw Pass from Evergreen, 103 from Idaho Springs, and Berthoud Pass heading up to Winter Park.
Do you ride? Pardon if that's a silly question, i'm new here :)
I've been on 2 other boards for a few years but just found this one.

·
Vintage bike addict
4,812 Posts
With luck maybe the officer won't or hasn't shown. I guess I'm a little late here.

·
Ninja tomato farmer
17,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The more i hear about this dragon place, the less the desire to ever ride it.
I got my ticket on the way home coming into Robbinsville on 143. Never saw an officer on the Dragon or the Cherohala on that trip. I was being stupid speeding in that area. I saw 2 officers on the Dragon on my trip to pay the ticket. I will be going back next year, man that place is too much fun to stay away from. Other than this year, the enforcement on the dragon is no more than anywhere else. On the weekdays it's unlikely you'll see anyone.

·
Ninja tomato farmer
17,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The great State of North Carolina was kind to me. Dismissing the double yellow passing charge and reducing the speeding charge. And, it was a nice trip to boot! :cool: :D

·
Ninja tomato farmer
17,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
:lol: Sorry, but what CDR said was funny. I know the citation isn't funny. Talk to them maybe the judge will let you off easy.
They were very nice about everything. They took the traffic violations first and I was out of there in a little over an hour. Very freindly people in that part of North Carolina.

·
Slow Guy on a Fast Bike
25,224 Posts
****, that sucks.

All the best to ya man....I hope they let you off easily.

The more I hear about this dragon place, the less the desire to ever ride it.
I like the highways in the kootenays....incredible roads, and can ride for 4 hours and not so much as see a cop.
And if they do see you, and your speeding...the chances of them ever catching up to a bike to get close enough for you to even see their lights in your mirrors is about zippo.

My pal said he passed a cop going the other way there this summer....he saw the cops brake lights come on for about 1/4 of a second, and then never saw the cop car again.

Really is not much they can do if you ask me.

They have few cops, and all the ones they do have are in cages.
Maybe train a few cops to be really good riders, and give them a ZX14 breathing spray.....and then they may catch 5 bikes a summer....lol

I hear of tons of bikes passing thru the kootenay roads, and many never see a cop...and those that do see them, have never been stopped.
I passed one a few years ago down there, and he did not even try to turn around to chase me....I think he basically thought, what is the point.....by the time he stops and turns around, accelerates back to speed, winds around the corners etc.
All I have to do is maintain the speed I am already going, and the gap between us would just continue to grow and grow.
My 3 pals I was with all asked each other if they saw the cop car, when we stopped for gas finally about 100 kms further away....we all did, and all said he never even braked to slow and turn.
I was leading, and glanced in my mirror, but never saw a light either.
The raod is narrow as heck, and twisty and hilly as can be , and still have traffic actually get over it.
And we were all doing I bet 3 times the posted limit when we met the cop coming at us head on....I could see the radar unit on his dashboard even....hence why i expected him to turn and chase us down.

The locals told us hey basically do not bother unless its maybe a real low slung chopper styl bike that handles like crap....them they will chase as they may actually catch up to them.
The dude at the gas station actually said a cop told him this....the rest they just let fly by, and dang did i laugh.

Actually, my fine neighbour from Kamloops is lying. Their are no mountain roads and twisties in the Kootenays. No beatiful sweepers, that follow river valleys for a hundred miles anywhere. It's flat, Saskatchewan type flat, Kate Moss flat. And boring as heck too...........and the dirt roads, their are dirt roads everywhere, dirt roads and pot holes, big friggin pot holes.
It's a motorcyclist's nightmare actually. The bears will hunt down and kill any passing bikers, no word of a lie. And the reason their are no police is that they are scared of the "horticulturalists" that frequant the area with massive chain saws. They hate bikers too.

So heed this warning and stay away from the Kootenays. :smile:

·
Registered
1,703 Posts

Is this tree for real? Dosen't seem to deter people though.
We have a road here that is called Chain of Ponds and all the newbies go test there new bikes out, it's not a long stretch but very twistie and higher speeds are the norm, some don't make it back.

·
Registered
19,728 Posts
Is this tree for real? Dosen't seem to deter people though.
We have a road here that is called Chain of Ponds and all the newbies go test there new bikes out, it's not a long stretch but very twistie and higher speeds are the norm, some don't make it back.
Yes it's real. Has purty plastic pieces all over it!

·
Registered
19,728 Posts
Actually, my fine neighbour from Kamloops is lying. Their are no mountain roads and twisties in the Kootenays. No beatiful sweepers, that follow river valleys for a hundred miles anywhere. It's flat, Saskatchewan type flat, Kate Moss flat. And boring as heck too...........and the dirt roads, their are dirt roads everywhere, dirt roads and pot holes, big friggin pot holes.
It's a motorcyclist's nightmare actually. The bears will hunt down and kill any passing bikers, no word of a lie. And the reason their are no police is that they are scared of the "horticulturalists" that frequant the area with massive chain saws. They hate bikers too.

So heed this warning and stay away from the Kootenays. :smile:
So you want none of us to visit you? :wink:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts