Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wendy, that looks like a great event! Hmmm, how can I get myself and my bike there…???
It would be a bit of a ride for you. I'd say you could fly and then rent a bike but I don't know of anywhere nearby that rents motorcycles. Maybe NCDave would lend you his 650.

·
Addicted to riding…
1,892 Posts
It would definitely be too far to ride, at least this year (I don't have the time to make that kind of a trip, either). Dave might lend me his bike. Also, I have some good friends who are just moving back to NC, so I know I would have a place to stay. It could be fun! I'll get on the mailing list, but keep me posted on the details, too. Are you going to do this ride, Wendy?

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It would definitely be too far to ride, at least this year (I don't have the time to make that kind of a trip, either). Dave might lend me his bike. Also, I have some good friends who are just moving back to NC, so I know I would have a place to stay. It could be fun! I'll get on the mailing list, but keep me posted on the details, too. Are you going to do this ride, Wendy?
I am planning on going with my hubby. It is about a 5 hour ride for us (if we avoid too much highway driving). I am a wimp but he says he won't come if I insist on trailering the bike. It will be pretty hot then until we get to higher elevations. Also I am REALLY afraid of the mountain edges, even in a car so that should be interesting for me.

I just bought a set of Cortech bags - top and sides for $75 used. They are blue to match my bike. So scared or not, I am ready to go!

·
Novice Tank Roller
15,810 Posts
It would be a bit of a ride for you. I'd say you could fly and then rent a bike but I don't know of anywhere nearby that rents motorcycles. Maybe NCDave would lend you his 650.
Liz,
You're welcome to borrow the 650 if you'd like. not sure what Tony would ride though, assuming that he came with you. I might be able to swing borrowing the Triumph TT600 from my son's friend, since he owes me LOTS of favors for wrecking my VX 800! :)

·
Novice Tank Roller
15,810 Posts
I am planning on going with my hubby. It is about a 5 hour ride for us (if we avoid too much highway driving). I am a wimp but he says he won't come if I insist on trailering the bike. It will be pretty hot then until we get to higher elevations. Also I am REALLY afraid of the mountain edges, even in a car so that should be interesting for me.

I just bought a set of Cortech bags - top and sides for $75 used. They are blue to match my bike. So scared or not, I am ready to go!
Wendy, plan on the trip there to be about 7 to 8 hours with stops, assuming that you don't got "directly" there and take curvy roads. I can give you lots of options if you get to the point of planning your route there.

My Dragon trip is planned for 9/18 to 9/21 if you guys would like to go along.

Also, I didn't look at the link, but if you are planning to stay in Robbinsville (which is the closest town to Deals Gap), get reservations at Phillips Motel. It's cheap (50 bucks a night for a good sized room). It's an older place and the rooms are dated, but they are clean and the old couple that run the place are very nice. When my son showed up last fall soaking wet from riding in the rain, she took his clothes and put them in the dryer for him! Really nice people!

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wendy, plan on the trip there to be about 7 to 8 hours with stops, assuming that you don't got "directly" there and take curvy roads. I can give you lots of options if you get to the point of planning your route there.

My Dragon trip is planned for 9/18 to 9/21 if you guys would like to go along.

Also, I didn't look at the link, but if you are planning to stay in Robbinsville (which is the closest town to Deals Gap), get reservations at Phillips Motel. It's cheap (50 bucks a night for a good sized room). It's an older place and the rooms are dated, but they are clean and the old couple that run the place are very nice. When my son showed up last fall soaking wet from riding in the rain, she took his clothes and put them in the dryer for him! Really nice people!
The website says Fontana Village. Fabian has been up there on motorcycle at least 3 times and a few more times by car. He has a route that he takes, I just hope it's not too scary :eek: He took my youngest son up in his Audi, he was sleeping most of the time but then he woke up and said "daddy, please get off this crazy road". He also went up when he had the NSX and maybe another time. He has ton of pics from Killboy from the times that he went. I've never been, although I probably would've gotten sick in the car as a passenger.

Depending how that weekend goes, if it doesn't totally freak me out, I can probably get my mom to watch the kids again in September and we can head up there with you. Maybe you can get your wife riding by then :biggrin: .

·
Registered
19,728 Posts
+1 on the Phillips Motel. If I remember they have chairs outside each room, it's quiet and the people were excellent.

·
Addicted to riding…
1,892 Posts
Dave, thanks for the offer to borrow the bike! Wendy, is it really okay for men to come on the Women's Sportbike weekend, or do they hang out and wait? I had been thinking we'd just make it a girl's trip.

I don't know if this is something Tony would be interested in, or if we could afford for both of us to come out. And it seems to be the weekend before my daughter goes back to school…it's really too far away at this point for me to commit to, but it seems it would be loads of fun.

And the fact that my good friends here are moving back to NC makes the whole thing more appealing.

Wendy, maybe you should come out west here and ride our twisty roads in prep! :D I do know what you mean about roads with steep drop-offs, though. Those have never been my favorite.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've never been out that way by myself and I've never ridden for more than an hour so I don't feel comfortable going on my own. I would feel better having him with me (and he won't be at home worrying about me).

My hubby has been there a ton of times and would have no problem going out on his own or riding with some of the other guys if any of the events are "girls only".

If you look at their site and their forum they say that guys are welcome. You will see a few guys in the pictures as well.

·
Addicted to riding…
1,892 Posts
I've never been out that way by myself and I've never ridden for more than an hour so I don't feel comfortable going on my own. I would feel better having him with me (and he won't be at home worrying about me).

My hubby has been there a ton of times and would have no problem going out on his own or riding with some of the other guys if any of the events are "girls only".

If you look at their site and their forum they say that guys are welcome. You will see a few guys in the pictures as well.
Cool!

Remember, though, you have a whole spring and summer to "practice" :D I'll bet by the time that comes around in August, you are going to feel so much more comfortable on your bike. But, it is great to have the company of one's sweetie! ;)

I keep thinking of going for a long ride by myself, and I probably will once the weather gets warmer. I just enjoy being on the bike so much and I would like to explore my own limits in terms of being on my own on the bike.

·
Novice Tank Roller
15,810 Posts
The website says Fontana Village. Fabian has been up there on motorcycle at least 3 times and a few more times by car. He has a route that he takes, I just hope it's not too scary :eek: He took my youngest son up in his Audi, he was sleeping most of the time but then he woke up and said "daddy, please get off this crazy road". He also went up when he had the NSX and maybe another time. He has ton of pics from Killboy from the times that he went. I've never been, although I probably would've gotten sick in the car as a passenger.

Depending how that weekend goes, if it doesn't totally freak me out, I can probably get my mom to watch the kids again in September and we can head up there with you. Maybe you can get your wife riding by then :biggrin: .
Fontana isn't far from Robbinsville, but I'm sure Fabian already knows. It shouldn't freak you out at all. Just make sure to ride at your own pace. The Dragon (and other roads in the area) WILL bite you if you are not careful and focused.

And don't ever count on my wife riding a bike. she's definitely not interested in that.

·
Novice Tank Roller
15,810 Posts

Personally, as a husband, I'd be tickled to ride up and then have time to go do my own thing while the "women" are doing theirs. I think the best ride I've ever experienced was going over Cherahola Skyway all by myself. A couple hours of not worrying about losing or keeping up with anyone else, just carving curves and generally trying to push my own limits. :)

I have to stop or I'll start crying! :D

·
Registered
181 Posts

I do not know your route but If you do not like drop offs, I would ask your husband to avoid 64/28 from Highlands to Franklin. There is one section by the gorge that has a high rock bank on one side and a sheer drop off on the other and is just wide enough for 2 vehicles to pass. It is not too bad when you are coming down from Highlands since you will be by the rocks but going up you are looking at the dropoff and only a 2 ft high rock wall to keep you from going off. It is beautiful view of the gorge there but you will not enjoy it if you do not like drop offs. There are also a number of pretty water falls between Frankin and Highlands if anyone likes them.

If you are going to follow 64 over to 28 and do not want to take 64/28 from Highlands to Franklin, You can cut off and take Buck Creek.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts