Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed the oil in my bike, which I flooded yesterday. Now it won't idle. Took the air filter off and there's still gas coming out of the carb. It will run in 1st, but when I hit the clutch to shift the bike cuts off. Any suggestions? I'm new to this.

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
Your carb needs attention. Either:

1. Needle and seat are full of gunk.
2. Needle and seat need replacing.
3. Float is a sinker.
4. Float is out of adjustment.

If you would like to tackle this but do not feel confidant, get a service manual for your bike. It will describe step by step how to repair your carb.
Do not run anymore until you get this repaired as gas running down into the oil is not what the engine likes in order to live a long life!

Post back with how you make out and any questions.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I changed the plugs, took apart and cleaned the carb, and it's pretty much doing the same thing. Anyone know of a good mechanic in the Rocky Mount/ Wilson, NC area? I want it running right!!

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
If you do not have a service manual, get one. It will guide you through how to repair your carb.
Give it one more try before you concede to someone else. It will be a good learning experience, if nothing else, and will only cost you the price of the manual (which you should have, anyways) and possibly a part or two.

Post back with how you make out.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Would a new fuel filter be a good idea? I will buy the manual and see what I can do today or tomorrow. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
Follow the recommendation for the filter change as called out in your new service manual. It won't hurt anything to change out, but probably will not fix your problem, unless it has a hole in the filter media!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Having some trouble separating the carb from the throttle cables. Any suggestions? Like I said, I'm new to this.

·
Registered
42 Posts
The throttle cable is "probably" attached with a push/guide pin type set up on the very end of the cable. Also there is a nut that locks down the cable into proper allignment.

When I took mine off I had to pull the carb off the bike and spin it because of where the lock nut was located on carb. I think the other option would be to put the throttle full open which should position the end of the cable in a more friendly place.
I got the cable back on mine by moving the throttle lever on the carb to full open position and sliding it back in ad then putting it on the bike.

PS: When you put it back on, make sure to leave a little slack. Its nice to not have the bike jump every time you bump the throttle (unless you are racing and maybe then its a good thing to have)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts