Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 1980 kz 440 wont start....last night i replaced a potentially leaking petcock, put it all back together, wont start, wont fire, killed the battery trying....ANY SUGESTIONS APPRECIATED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
CHILL!!!

Sometimes just setting down, drinking a cold glass of tea and staring the problem right in the face is all that you need. I once had a similar problem...found out that in all of heat, I never once checked the off/on/off safety switch. I know it sounds stupid, but at the time I was ANGRY! I couldn't see the problem, till I chilled out. Now, take the time and check the switches. all good then take the tank off, and carefully turn the petcock back to the on position to see that the gas is actually trickling out of the tank through the petcock...maybe (MAYBE) you aren't reading it like it looks on the position indicator. IF it is...then, put it back on the bike and get it all ready again, and turn on the petcock. Then before turning on the switch, pull the plugs and see if they are wet with gas, or fouled....if so replace them...if they are dry then use the straw technique, of putting only a little gas from a straw into each cylinder, replace the plugs then hit the starter. if it runs then dies...your'e not getting gas for some reason or another. I guess that while you had the plugs out you could have grounded them to a good ground source and seen if you were getting a bright bluish white spark and not just a weak yellow one. Compresion, gas, timing/ignition...just one step at a time...most important of all...get back on the forum and tell us what was wrong, or what is still wrong!!!

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
START

First dump the gas and get fresh stuff. Second...get something that you can drain some gas into and pull the carb drain plug on the first carb, then turn the petcock on...gas should trickle out...if not then you need to address that carb...then try the next carb...same thing...no gas then check the line from the petcock to ensure that the petcock is actually working...could be that the fuel lines are messed up and partially blocked as well..from tje tank to the carbs...LET US KNOW!!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts