Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok,
I just signed on the dotted line for airline...and sent request for moto. A BMW1200gs...for a week.

IN SPAIN! :biggrin:

I'll have a week to play in the Pyrennes, both Spain and France. The Irish contingent is a little worried that the American will just be spoiling for milage while they are wanting to relax. :tongue:

Guess we'll just have to fight it out over some beers while there.

The guy at rental place sounded a bit worried when he learned my current ride is a VN2000. Asked...'have you been in the mountains?' :rolleyes: I almost told him I had been off roading on my monster...but that might get me disqualified...:twisted:

I went with the 1200 over the 800 because it has better ride reviews online and since I am 6'1" and 235lb...figure small probably aint better? (The f800st is the second choice though)

Been looking forward to this trip since it was mentioned as a possibility 2 years ago!

·
Loud Pipes Keep Me Awake
1,648 Posts
Oh, you so suck!;) :mrgreen:

Just kidding. Did you notice my smiley was green with envy? Enjoy the ride, and feel free to pop in and ply us with proper pictures while you're traveling.

·
Extreme Gizmologist
2,347 Posts
I rented a 1200GS for a week ride in the Australian Great Divide. You're gonna love that bike. I rode 7-8 hrs a day with no discomfort at all. Took me a few hours to get used to the footpegs right under my butt, but once I got used to that location, they were comfortable and it was nice to be able to stand on the pegs.

·
We need a Sarcasm Font!
3,864 Posts
Hate You!!! :biggrin: Man, I'd love to do such a trip!! Have a terrific time, don't fall off any mountains, and take LOTS AND LOTS of pics to post!

·
My hat is made of tinfoil
20,826 Posts
Oh man your going to love it.
I got to spend a couple months riding in Europe, and most all of it was awesome.
And yes Spain, france, Portugal that area is sweet for sure.
If you ever get a chance ride north and go to the Ukraine, what an incredibly beautiful country to visit, and the people are awesome there to.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Awesome trip!
What time of year you're going?....

Ok,
I just signed on the dotted line for airline...and sent request for moto. A BMW1200gs...for a week.

I'll have a week to play in the Pyrennes, both Spain and France. The Irish contingent is a little worried that the American will just be spoiling for milage while they are wanting to relax. :tongue:

The guy at rental place sounded a bit worried when he learned my current ride is a VN2000. Asked...'have you been in the mountains?' :rolleyes: I almost told him I had been off roading on my monster...but that might get me disqualified...:twisted:

I went with the 1200 over the 800 because it has better ride reviews online and since I am 6'1" and 235lb...figure small probably aint better? (The f800st is the second choice though)

Been looking forward to this trip since it was mentioned as a possibility 2 years ago!

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh yeah...trying to figure out how many cameras/camcorders I can mount on one bike without looking silly.....

Eight? Ten? Hmmmm.

Anyway, seriously looking forward to it. Anyone that thinks they can stop by, would be great to met. Only concrete plan at moment is to be around the Pyrenees. We don't really have destinations or time schedules or reservations or or or or.....AHHH!

Is it really possible for an American to travel without a schedule and a mapped out route? Not sure.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Not sure, but I might be in july/august in the pyrenees.
If not, I'll be looking forward to your video's.
Keep us posted when things are going to be concrete.

Oh yeah...trying to figure out how many cameras/camcorders I can mount on one bike without looking silly.....

Eight? Ten? Hmmmm.

Anyway, seriously looking forward to it. Anyone that thinks they can stop by, would be great to met. Only concrete plan at moment is to be around the Pyrenees. We don't really have destinations or time schedules or reservations or or or or.....AHHH!

Is it really possible for an American to travel without a schedule and a mapped out route? Not sure.

·
Registered
460 Posts
BTW
Is there such a thing as a single camcorder pod, instead of a tripod?
I mean, something that hasn't a sucker on the end but a bracket or something?

Eight? Ten? Hmmmm.

·
ULTIMATE Forum Supporter
7,748 Posts
Ok,

Sounds like an awesome trip, can't wait for the photos and trip report. Here's an interesting read on choosing a bike for riding in Europe...

http://www.bmca.com/t_bikes/biketip

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'll be there in Spring...(uncomfortable throwing the dates out on internets). Supposedly it could still be a bit chilly, but hey, all part of the experience.

It'd be great to meet up with any of the Europeans (Rocket_88, Steve, etc)...we could work it out in PM or email. May have to work it out while there with txt message/email since as I said...the old guys in charge of the pacing on this trip.

As for pics...I'll probably have thousands of em...:biggrin:

·
TV Guru
11,779 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Thanks, that's supergreat, I want to buy that right noooowwww!!

Well..April is nice to hop on a plane and rent a ride overthere.
Not so much enjoyable for cruising from NW europe to the south, can be really cold...

Probably you know this already, but...what I heard of and some own experience.
April will be probably sunny and sometimes a bit chilly.
Also sporadically some overcast.

The month May, clear skies and warmer.
It really depends at which part of the Pyrenees you are.
The more South/East you go, the direction of the Mediterranee, the better it will be.
Stay out of that bend of the gulf of biscay, it's depressing in any month, always rainy and moisty, in April even more.
On the Spanish side better roads than the French (but I guess that doesn't matter with your BMW).
I believe that the Pyrenees are one of the oldest mountainranges in Europe, older than the Alps.
Sure you'll have plenty of pics to make of the scenery..

YouTube - Around the Pyrenees

I'll be there in Spring...(uncomfortable throwing the dates out on internets). Supposedly it could still be a bit chilly, but hey, all part of the experience.

It'd be great to meet up with any of the Europeans (Rocket_88, Steve, etc)...we could work it out in PM or email. May have to work it out while there with txt message/email since as I said...the old guys in charge of the pacing on this trip.

As for pics...I'll probably have thousands of em...:biggrin:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.