Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Working on converting my 85 Ninja 900 from 16" front and 18" rear to both 17" rims. Has anyone done it? On the Gpz900r forum we are looking at some information from "Snake" and he enlightened us with using our stock rear and placing a 90 ZX7 rim in 170/60/17.

I have a triple tree and shocks from the same bike. I was wondering what I would have to do to set it up so I don't have stability issues. Is there an expert in the house that can help?

Thanks

·
Registered
269 Posts
Shift123 will be your man for this question. He converted his GPZ750 to 17" frt and rear from a Gsx r. I am starting to look for parts and try and make that my winter project.

·
Registered
191 Posts
hey adam. Its not all that tough but it does take time and patience. Stock swingarm might be wide enough to take up to a 180(as its been done on the gpz) but I would reccomend a swingarm swap if you want to go that wide.

Do you just want to change wheels or you want to do the forks as well? If you do forks its only a matter of a custom steering stem that will press into whatever forks you are going to use. And the brakes and everything off of that bike. If you just want to do the wheel its a different story. Because you have to make sure your calipers are in the proper place for whatever rotors you use. make sure the speedo drive gear isnt too wide and will offset your rim. Older rotors tend to be thicker then newer ones as well. I went from a floating caliper setup to a floating rotor setup.

for the rear the biggest thing is to make sure your chain and sprockets all line up. You may need to get a custom offset sprocket. I dont remember if your bike runs a 630 chain or not but a 530 conversion will be needed to run modern rear sprockets. Also keep in mind if clearance is a problem that 530 oring chains are wider then 530 roller chains. when ever mm counts. The rear wheel isnt as important to get centered as the front, alot of newer bike have the rear wheel offset factory. I like to have it centered but thats just me. If you end up changing the swingarm with the wheel you wont usually run into problem getting the rear caliper to work. if you just do the wheel again you have the same problem as the front with rotor diameter/location and thickness. I know my gpz caliper and gsxr caliper were similar but the gsxr rode below the swingarm and was much thicker(on the axle). If you swap the rear arm you have to make sure that the pivot width and diameter is close to that of your bike. I lucked out with the gsxr arm being a hair shorter but the pivot was a larger diam so i had to machine a few spots, but the inner race from the gpz arm slid right in. Then the problem of the rear wheel goes away and you need to focus on suspension linkage which can be tricky.

There are alot of things to think about before starting something like this. Really the best thing is mockups. Unfortunately when i did my swap I started in the middle of summer which i regreted loosing good riding time. If you decided to swap more then just wheels i would start with the front end because it is easier and then you can put the rear how ever you want to get the chassis attitude you are looking for.

If you have specific parts you are using or dimensions I can try to give you a hand. Right now a friend and I are getting a cnc business off the ground so in a few months I might be able to do some custom parts if you end up needing them, ie caliper mounts, steering stem, etc.

good luck

·
Registered
16 Posts
i have just started to put zx9r rear wheel into gpz900r swing arm,looking like 3/8 inch off the sprocket carrier faces should get the wheel centered to within an eighth of an inch,would like half an inch off, ,but i think the chain would touch the tyre.that puts my sprocket in position,now need to remove all wheel bearings and internal spacer from old wheel,get new parts the same and fit to new wheel,make up very thin spacer for sprocket (it has to run as close to the arm as possible for true running)also carrier will need sealed bearing as old seal seat machined away,make new spacer for brake side,bolt it all together,have a good look at it... see what you think..now take it on a fast road and run it upto 125mph

1 - 4 of 4 Posts