Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Wide open throttle
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody, im on my trip and have run into an issue i hope is easy to resolve. Here is the scenario, i was stuck in traffic in New York City, for about 2 hours, very slow stop and go traffic, bike running very hot with lots of clutch use. After i managed to get out of the city, i noticed that when i am in 5th gear and accelerate fast it feels as if the rear wheel is slipping, as well as higher revs but no acceleration. Is this a clutch issue? If so how do i adjust? The bike is an 07 VN900 with 37 000 km. Need help folks in figuring this out, im not stranded but i still have to drive across Canada and want this fixed before i head out. Thanks for the tips i will check back in the morning.

Barrett

·
Registered
241 Posts
Sounds like clutch issue to me. If you have a cable operated clutch be sure the clutch lever has some free play in it.

·
the "fun" guy
32,859 Posts
Before you pee your pants you might give this a try. It has worked for me before.

Keep in mind if the clutch is not toast...ruined...etc...you can try the following with good results.

If you can find some SeaFoam in an auto parts store...Wal-Mart...or wherever...buy a can of it. Next...add 1 1/2 ounces of SeaFoam to the oil (yes to the oil) per each quart of oil in the crank case. So if your bike holds 4 quarts of oil...add 6 ounces of SeaFoam to the oil. Now go ride the bike for a minimum of 80 miles...and then the oil and filter need changed as soon as the engine is cool enough for you to do the work. Yeah...I know...your on the road and will need to change the oil and filter yourself so factor that in. I was on vacation and my oil needed changing and I found a shop owner who let me use his place to get the work done. Look around...maybe a bike shop there can do it for you or will let you do it yourself. Point is...you'll need to change the oil after the 80 mile run with the SeaFoam in the oil. Once that's done...go ride the bike and see if that helped. My 1500 had 30,000 miles on it and it did wonders for the clutch slippage (cleaned up the plates inside nicely) and gave the clutch new life again.

YES...YOU CAN ADD SEAFOM TO THE OIL. I contacted the company and got the details from a rep and he was right. It worked in my case!!!

·
Politicians' Nightmare
1,871 Posts
Clutch slippage

There's a lot on this forum about clutch slippage, so a search might be helpful. Riding and stuck in traffic in NYC must be the earthly equivalent of being in hell! If the clutch just started slipping after the bike got really hot the problem may be engine oil related. Some oils don't hold up well in heat and have additives which contribute to clutch slippage. Also, on the VN900 there are clutch adjusters in addition to at the lever also in the middle of the cable and at the bottom where the cable links to the release lever. As has been said, it is good to make certain that there is a little slack, about a tenth of an inch measured at the handlebar lever.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts