Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Official BTK Forum Pot Stirrer
37,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was on the interstate in my truck today, when I noticed a new sportbike complete with paper plate merging into traffic. The dude was wearing no shirt, long baggy shorts, open toed flip flops, no gloves and what appeared to be a very heavy backpack. At least he had a helmet on.

Anybody care to apply a term to this idiot?

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

lots of scar tissue - kinda like fire marshall bill :cry:

"lemme show you somethin'"

·
Registered
605 Posts
the technical term would have to be squid...the fact that he was wearing a helmet doesn't make the term any less effective here. His mom probably said he couldn't ride without one so he just wore that...and his new name will now be an old cherokee name with lots of meaning sound it out with me

ded-ohn-empakt

·
Registered
309 Posts
I would like to know how anyone could upshift in flip flops?

·
Registered
31 Posts
sorry im new at this but what does squid mean?? i mean i also drive in street clothes when i go to work(pant, shirt, gloves) does that mean im a squid??

·
Registered
380 Posts
I've been seeing a lot of folks similar to that lately... it's pretty regularly been around 100 outside though... So far I've only seen one or two other fully clad freaks that wear gear when they ride in the heat :lol:

Guess we're special...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Leather in summer

I wear my black leather riding jacket even in summer here in Hou, Tx. Yeah it's hot, but so is the pavement at 80 mph on BW-8. Had the bike for 20 yrs. and never been down. Don't want to be a meat ball if it ever happens. Wear your gear people!!!

·
NO---I ain't dead--yet
266 Posts
When its 100 degrees and 90% humidity------NO WAY am I wearing full gear---in reality-- it would probably cause me to crash when I pass out from the heat stroke.

No flip flops----leather New Balance cross trainers.

Sometimes you got to take your chances.

·
Registered
7 Posts
younggotti said:
sorry im new at this but what does squid mean?? i mean i also drive in street clothes when i go to work(pant, shirt, gloves) does that mean im a squid??
The way it was explained to me a couple weeks ago, I haven't been on a bike since before there was a WWW, a squid goes really fast in a straight line, stops, turns and goes really fast in a straight line.
I've seen classic squids in full gear and some fairly talented riders in t-shirts and shorts (also in halters and hotpants.) Gotta love livin in the south.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

yep-gear is part of the game - its a small price to get the grin :wink:

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've read tons of posts here about gear, I agree gear is very important, but reality is not everyone is going to wear gear, and I how I look at it is, is to each his own.

Squid was explained to me, meaning squirrelly kid. I’m sure you’ve seen the type the ones of the street bikes being dumb on them.

I'm not squirrelly on mine but being young and having a street bike, I sometimes get labeled being a squid.

·
Registered
605 Posts
1. to fix all your wrong definitions of squid... Have you seen a young rider on a sportbike who does not wear protective clothing, darts into and out of traffic at high speed, refuses to take any motorcycle training, and in general, acts like he/she doesn't know what they're doing? You've seen a squid. http://motorcycles.about.com/cs/beginners/g/def079.htm

2. Rule of Thumb: If it's too hot to wear a helmet...it's too hot to ride. I'll admit sometimes it's too hot to wear a helmet so...I wet down my shirt and have my jacket slightly open...then I put on my helmet and remember what could happen without it.

Quick Question - would you rather have sweat or blood running down your forehead?

G

·
i see squids all the time either on sport bikes or cruisers ... shorts, tee shirts,sanddles... just don't want to imagine if they crash...alot of the time they are 2 riding on their bikes...if its too hot to ride your bike take your car and put on the a/c!!!

·
Registered
309 Posts
I got one for you. I was riding to work today and I see a rider in the distance. I slowly gain on the bike to see the rider was a girl on a honda rebel. She did have a helmet on but, she was wearing shorts, a tee shirt and sneakers. I was a little suprised to see a girl riding with no protection. I always thought women where supossed to be smarter then men. Not today!

·
Registered
308 Posts
Here in Nashville, I see people all the time in shorts/t-shirt. It is an everyday thing here. There has not been a day yet that was too hot for me to wear my gear. there is plenty of good hot weather gear out there that will give you much better protection than hanes or fruit of the loom!

·
Registered
395 Posts
*shudder*

Sorry, I just don't see it. No matter how hot, no matter how short the ride, the gear goes on! A 30 minute ride in gear at 90 degrees is a lot less painless or uncomfortable than road rash or the alternative. I was in PA last week (Pittsburgh), and it sickened me to see the number of people riding aroud sans helmet. Stupid part was, the number of people who had on full gear and no helmet.

In the words of someone far greater than myself, "Stupid is as stupid does".

·
Registered
68 Posts
I ride to work daily here in San Antonio. Helmet, leather gaunts, leather jacket, black leather combat boots, and my BDU's under it all and I'm fine. Like the old saying goes, if you can't stand the heat, get the f--- out of the kitchen. :lol:

I give the finger to squids on the road instead of waving, I'm an a$$hole like that though :wink:

1 - 20 of 70 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.