Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Learning To Ride .
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to say Hi and Tell you a little about How I got here . First off I am 39 and always had an interest in motorcycles but for some reason I just never did it . I was a Mechanic until I had a bad car accident in 1989 . It left me Disabled . So I do have a lot of not wonted time on my hands and I like to tinker with things . I came across this Kawasaki KZ440 . I asked around the people that had it told me they got it off of some one that was going to scrap it do to he lost the Title ( He has died since ) and they thought there son might have an interest in it . He did not have one do to it was from 1980 (it was to old and it needed to much ) . Yes it is old and Yes it needs a lot . They told me if I wont it take it so I took it . This was 3 day ago and yes if it was a basket case it might have been easier . I have never driven a motor cycle so I thought this will be my first . The one that I rebuilt not something off over the show room . I will have to find a doner bike or hit ebay hard for some parts but it will get done . I got it running yesterday for the first time for hew now how long but it dose run and idles
nice . After I got it home I hit the net for info and found this forum and I got most of the info I needed . I think it is nice to save things .

Mike

·
Sick Puppy
3,210 Posts
Congrats on your find, I always liked the KZ440 though never had one. Glad you found your way to the Forum it's a nice group of people. Were you able to get a title for the bike, or plan for getting one with the doner?

·
Registered
10,122 Posts
Welcome Mike! Welcome to the motorcycle world! If you search over in the vintage threads you might find some good info on your project scoot,

It would be a really good move to sign up & take the MSF coarse. You'll learn how to ride & learn correctly. Very short coarse & well worth the time!!

We are a visual bunch, so post some pics of your scoot!

Ride safe! 8)

·
Learning To Ride .
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have not gotten a title yet . From what I under stand it would not be a problem getting one as long as the thing was not 5 fingered ( stolen ) . If I do find a doner with a good frame and a title I might give it a hart transplant and use it but I will not hold my breath on it . If I can not find a doner I am thinking of making my own covers for the sides and frankin bike :twisted: the front to get a head light and signals on it .

Pitchinguy I will be taking the Safety Course . All it is is time out of my life and it will give me a lot of good Info .. Right now it is in bad shape . It would be embarrassing :redface: to show compered to the bike pics up here . but I am thinking of making some what of a photo diary . So I can show what I have done on it . That can be a different thread

Thanks
Mike

·
Learning To Ride .
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had a change of hart . My cam is not a good one but you can still make it out and when I got it started the first time a kid was helping me that said he know what he was doing and added to much oil and the bike pulled a BP on me . Sorry but it will be cleaned up faster then BP will .

Mike

·
Learning To Ride .
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Congrats on your find, I always liked the KZ440 though never had one. Glad you found your way to the Forum it's a nice group of people. Were you able to get a title for the bike, or plan for getting one with the doner?
Ricksza So far I have not had any luck in are great state they make it difficult to get one but I have not lost hope . I can do a title search and try to find the last titled owner and hope it was in Pa and that they are still around and get them to send for a now one and then have it put in my name . This would be a large pain but unless I do something I really do not own it . If I can not get a hold of the last titled owner I could get a court order and get one that way . Either way this is not going to be cheep . I have another way . I thought of this and ask around and included Penn Dot and they said it would work . I am going to look hard and I mean hard for a good frame with a title and switch everything over . Mine runs . That way I can make shore that everything is sound also . I will have to redo the title with the motor number but it is do able . It might be a problem finding a frame in western PA . Some good news I went to take my Permit test yesterday . I had gotten the book for it last Monday and had past it . I am on my way on going all of you on the road . I will be taking the safety course next month . Either way I am planning on riding a bike that I put back on the road my self with my two hands .:D

Mike

·
TRIPLE NUT
240 Posts
wewlcome from butler pa...run an ad on craigslist===wanted titled kz440 frame/parts bike...i needed papers for a cb550 i had=
got a whole non runnig titled parts bike for $100 out of youngstown

·
The little guy said it.
17,962 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Best of luck with your build, I hope it turns out well.

·
TRIPLE NUT
240 Posts
if you are considering a frame purchase ship by greyhound..the cheapest..you will have to drive to the closest greyhound depot to pick it up

·
Learning To Ride .
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I am thinking of trying the locale Craigslist and salvage yards first . I need to get some funds up first . I found one that still runs for $500 looks nice also but I would like to build one to make it mine along with custom paint .

Mike

PS . I am planning on taking the safety course July 9th . The wife says it is midlife crises . Either way I can not wait .

·
Learning To Ride .
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Any advise on the Course would be appreciated I am a little nerves . This will be my first time driving a bike . I did down load the book I wish they would let you print it . I have gone over it 3 times .

·
Sick Puppy
3,210 Posts
The motorcycle safety course is the best, don't worry about it. They teach the class as if everyone has no experience and will show you the proper way to ride. You will get the book at the first class. For the riding class, make sure you have gloves, eye protection, and should have a helmet (they have loaners sometimes).

As for the bike, you might consider getting the one that runs, and use the other as a mockup for the custom parts so the bike doesn't need to be down while working.

·
Learning To Ride .
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I am thinking of get a bike that I can get running with little work but is not a looker . I use the parts off of the bike I have to get one up and running since this one is running it just does not have a title but I give the tins a nice paint job so when I get good at riding it I can make it look good .

I am ordering goggles ( I where glasses ) and I am going to use a helmet off of them . As far as gloves I have a set the I have had for a long time that are lam hide . They have been with me for a long time . My father inlaw likes them . He rides all of the time .

Thanks
Mike

1 - 16 of 16 Posts