Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Would you trade down in model years to trade up in cc's or percieved quality?

• Yes.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Every dog has it's day...
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the dilemma:

I've got an 07 1500 Classic that I've had since October 08. Not that long ago I purchased this bike... has 4k miles and the stealership knows every oil change.

I like it and I've done a lot of things to it, but I also like what am I hearing about another bike that Kawasaki makes... the V2k.

I may have the possibility to tone some of my additions on my bike down (saddlebags, trunk, batwing... maybe the boards) and keep some on (pipes, BAK, speedo cover, and other little things). With that done, I may have the possibility of trading it for a used 05 baby blue V2k with 5k miles.

Would anyone in their right mind do this? I was trying to talk to them about a NOS model on the floor, but only to find out they want 17k for that one because they put a big tire kit, pipes, and i guess a couple other things on it. I don't believe them, but oh well. Any suggestions on what I should do instead if you don't agree with any reasoning (such as keep the bike a couple years and see what happens).

·
You bought a WHAT?!!
1,503 Posts
Michael,
Beartooth Kawi has an '08 V2K LT "forum special" for 12,499. Check out the podcast.

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
Very, very, very tough call.

KBB on your Classic (no mods) is $7260 retail, $5010 trade
'05 V2K is $8565 retail, $6980 trade.

So... if this is a straight-across trade, the dealer is giving you over $1,300 for your mods.
If he's wanting cash with the trade, book value would be $5010 compared to $8565. Figure the value of your mods, I wouldn't make the deal for more than $2500 cash.

·
*** V2K Rocks!!! ***
1,692 Posts
I don't know if the dealer offer is a good one or not, but I do know you won't regret trading up to a V2K. I'd say don't be in a hurry and shop around. You might even find a brand new one at a good price.

·
Registered
59 Posts
If you can get a deal you can live with, and if you really want the V2K, then I say go for it. It's not about being in your right mind, it's about what makes you happy and what you value in life.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Hmmm... Give up a bike I've had since it was new and isn't even really a year old yet... that I like, know very well, and have poured time and money into, for one that's a bit older, has a few more miles on it, and that I may not like as well? And may cost me a bit more money to boot? Based on what I've heard?

Maybe I'm too much of a "bird in the hand beats two in the bush" kind of guy, but I have to say no, I don't think I'd take that trade. Better to hang on to what I've got and see what I can do later, if needed.

But that's just me, I guess.

·
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Michael,
Beartooth Kawi has an '08 V2K LT "forum special" for 12,499. Check out the podcast.
Yeah, i saw that one... problem being Red Lodge is a long way from Lubbock... very nice looking bike, though.

·
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hmmm... Give up a bike I've had since it was new and isn't even really a year old yet... that I like, know very well, and have poured time and money into, for one that's a bit older, has a few more miles on it, and that I may not like as well? And may cost me a bit more money to boot? Based on what I've heard?

Maybe I'm too much of a "bird in the hand beats two in the bush" kind of guy, but I have to say no, I don't think I'd take that trade. Better to hang on to what I've got and see what I can do later, if needed.

But that's just me, I guess.
Yeah, that's the other side of reason talking. It's not that I don't like my bike or know that it isn't very capable... it is that I know a V2k can produce 30 more hp, belt drive, the engine looks a little nicer, and is a little roomier.

I'd have to talk more to the dealer about the bike and where it came from, they might know every oil change on that bike like mine.

·
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Very, very, very tough call.

KBB on your Classic (no mods) is $7260 retail, $5010 trade
'05 V2K is $8565 retail, $6980 trade.

So... if this is a straight-across trade, the dealer is giving you over $1,300 for your mods.
If he's wanting cash with the trade, book value would be $5010 compared to $8565. Figure the value of your mods, I wouldn't make the deal for more than $2500 cash.
Yeah, I could work a couple more things in to the deal if need be, and putting up a little cash woudln't be hard. I would get more for the bike, because the dealer would know that all maintenance was done to factory spec because I got the service deal from them for the next 3 years. Giving up that much cash this soon in the game would be a tough bug to swallow, though. That's why I'm wondering if I shouldn't just sit on it a couple more years and maybe just get a new one.

·
Official BTK Forum Pot Stirrer
37,387 Posts
Are you sure the "baby blue" V2k is an 05? I have an 05 and its a dark saphire blue. If the color you are talking about is the Glacier Blue, it would be a 2004. If so, you would want to be sure that the pully bearings had been changed, the early 04's had an issue with those.

·
Registered
70 Posts
You know exactly what you have now and you are taking someones word on what you are looking at buying. How much better would a V2k work for you than your Classic with all your upgrades. Sometimes bigger ain`t necessarily better. Just one old mans opinion.

·
frequently disturbs class
2,220 Posts
Well, if you think you need a V, go ride and then decide.
Personally, I wouldn't walk past a sorted-out 1500 for a v2, but then again, I don't recall ever seeing a post from someone who regretted making the step up.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
I sold a 2007 Ninja 250 to get a 1981 Yamaha XV920. Shocking difference in power...it takes about 25% of the throttle twist for similar acceleration.

Enjoyable bike, but not terribly comfortable.

·
2x the bike for 1/2 the $
1,175 Posts
I'm a classic example of my "yes" vote. I just went from the 08 900 Custom i purchased brand new, to a 2003 1500 Mean Streak. Well worth it. :)

·
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I sold a 2007 Ninja 250 to get a 1981 Yamaha XV920. Shocking difference in power...it takes about 25% of the throttle twist for similar acceleration.

Enjoyable bike, but not terribly comfortable.

I was kind of waiting to see if anyone had ever made a step like that. Kind of interesting to see that it has been done. Those 250s sure do need to be wound up, no doubt about that.

Very nice bikes.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Ninja 250: Awesome bike if your riding is 99% in town. I might've kept it if I had no desire to get on the highway. 9000 BUZZING rpms, traffic, and gusty sidewinds turned out to be sensory overload for me. It wasn't enjoyable in the least. But the bike couldn't be beat for my 10 mile daily commute on side streets and frontage roads.

·
'09 Vulcan 900 Custom
906 Posts
I have to agree with Rich's assessment here. Tough choice.

If you can take the V2K out for a day or at least a decent ride, it might make it an easier decision. I saw someone else say they had never heard anyone regretting the V2K and I can't remember a negative post about that bike either.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts