Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Would you recommend a 600cc supersport to a noob with no prior riding experience?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 232 Posts

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since lately there have been a series of threads on this topic, in this case I would just like you to answer the poll - and then argue (if you wish) any points on the following thread so as not to have the same topic open on 10 different threads:

Are sportbikes really for beginners?

I am simply interested to see how many of us would recommend a 600cc supersport bike to a noob with no prior riding experience.

The question is simple: it is not "can a noob start on a 600cc supersport", the question is "would you recommend a 600cc supersport to a beginner over a smaller cylinder bike."

Thanks in advance.

·
Dead man walking
1,994 Posts
Depends on how well I knew them and if I thought they were responsible enough to handle it. Someone I didn't know well? No.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I wouldn't recommend one to a complete noob. I started on the 650R as a street bike but I had ridden a KLR when I was 15 on the street a few times so I knew what to expect from something with two wheels and a motor and figured I could handle a big starter bike.

A friend of mine who is an aggressive driver and completely new to bikes..he wants a 650R next year but I'm trying to get him to buy a ninja 250 :)

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
A 2-cylinder or 4-cylinder? I think that would be a big difference. I think a lot of people start out on bikes like the 650 and they do fine. I will have a better opinion once I ride a 650 though.

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
A 2-cylinder or 4-cylinder? I think that would be a big difference. I think a lot of people start out on bikes like the 650 and they do fine. I will have a better opinion once I ride a 650 though.
Of the Kawi's the supersports are inline 4 cyl machines. Ducati and Triumph, on the other hand, have twin and triple cyl supersports.

·
Registered
905 Posts
It is an absolute no for me and I find those that would irresponsible. My opinion is along the lines of the one in the linked thread, so I will save my long diatribe. My opinion is further compounded by seeing people over their head. One specific case I don't really like to discuss out of respect for the family, but it has essentially cemented how I feel about people jumping on bikes they probably shouldn't. I have a now tattered blue ribbon from his memorial ride still tied on my bike to remind me of many things...

·
Registered
588 Posts
I would steer a n00b away from anything with more than 50 hp (or that weighs more than 500 lbs for the "1000 cc = 45 hp" cruiser crowd). I would caution a Ninja 650 or an SV650 and steer toward a Ninja 500 or GS500.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
One specific case I don't really like to discuss out of respect for the family, but it has essentially cemented how I feel about people jumping on bikes they probably shouldn't. I have a now tattered blue ribbon from his memorial ride still tied on my bike to remind me of many things...
RIP.

I'm sure if we started telling stories, we could go on forever.

Several years ago, a family friend's son bought a 600cc dirt-bike. One of his best friends asked him if he could try it out. The kid said yes. His friend hopped on the bike, started rolling down the street, and hit the gas. The bike wheelied, the kid lost control and impaled himself on a fence. He died. The kid has since been torn with remorse.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
You know me Stefano..."Mr. Conservative". I always error on the side of caution and besides, even though a person might do alright starting on a SuperSport, we all know that those bikes aren't meant for them.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You know me Stefano..."Mr. Conservative". I always error on the side of caution and besides, even though a person might do alright starting on a SuperSport, we all know that those bikes aren't meant for them.
You couldn't have put it better, sir :smile:

·
Registered
588 Posts
Oh, I also tell n00bs to start on smaller bikes because it'll be much more fun to learn to ride a small bike properly so they can embarrass the other n00bs that are riding 600 cc supersports way above their skill level.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Funny, everyone to reply to this thread has said "no, of course not!".

Why do the actual threads go so much differently?

·
Alien Test Subject
3,515 Posts
Funny, everyone to reply to this thread has said "no, of course not!".

Why do the actual threads go so much differently?
I don't think they actually do. I think the key here, is the word supersport. Most of us have no real qualms recommending a 650r, SV-650, or other such bike, to a newbie. But, these bikes were not bred for the racetrack, then "retro-fitted" with lights and a plate, like the 636, R1, or other SS bikes. Sure, they may get some trickle-down technology, but they're not pure-bred track weapons.

·
Registered
11,821 Posts
Because the poll is polling people who will respond NO. It is a "loaded question"...Want to go to sportbike only forum and this becomes a totally different poll altogether. Also, there are some who have seen this topic beaten to death and just do not voice out. I do since it is now becoming saber rattling and bandwagoning. You have to keep these kinds of topics multi-dimensional. There is no way everyone will buy a 250 and there is no way that everyone will buy a 600...The key is to give pros and cons and really extract what the questioner is looking to hear...Someone hit it on the nail in another thread...If I saw it was a complete idiot asking the question, I would not even recommend a bike let alone a 250...That is pure reasoning. It is not like the a 250 will accident proof you...It won't.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I don't always recommend a 250 either. I started on (essentially) an EX500 cruiser.

And for the last time, no one is saying a small bike will accident proof you. But it will definitely lower you chances of doing something stupid on the bike!

Why wear a helmet? Its not like a helmet makes you immortal... it won't.

1 - 20 of 232 Posts