Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:eek: Well im going to put some tires on the old 1600 and as im looking and reading I have become more confused than when I started. Here is my conclusions and please jump in if they are wrong.
1. front tire is 150/80/16 I think some are running a smaller front but not sure of the size.
2. The Back is 170/70/16 but alot are running 180/70/16
So far so good. Now im looking and thinking that the white wall would be cool but I cant find them in the size I need. Thats a shame;so if someone knows a good place please let me know.

I think I have it down to two tires
1.Metzeler Me 880 Marathon Touring

2. Dunlop ( But I am having trouble with the sizes there)

I under stand there have been many threads on this matter as I have read most of them instead of working like im supposed to be doing right now. I just thought if someone knows of a good sale somewhere right now or a good website. I have found the Metzelers at motorcycle-superstore.com (109 front and 166 back blackwall). Any info would be great. Thanks:D

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the link daemon I will check it out.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Jared its not going to good so far . I like the WW but its not my nature to look to long for them I will just get BW and say the heck with it.

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
1. front tire is 150/80/16 I think some are running a smaller front but not sure of the size.
2. The Back is 170/70/16 but alot are running 180/70/16
1600 Classic uses a 130/90-16 front, which is the MT90B16 in the Dunlop E3 Bias. The Nomad uses the 150/80-16 front.
Most are running a 180/70-16 rear because the 170 is not available in the "good" tires.

The Dunlop E3 Radial is a very good tire for the rear... I seem to be getting at least 50% better wear out of mine, and most of my riding on the E3 has been 2-up, 100% of the riding on the stocker was solo.

WWW are indeed sweet, but you're stuck with no larger than a 150/80-16 for the rear... stock size for the 1500 Nomad. That size will slightly increase your speedometer error... the 180 will correct it by about 2%.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Rich you are always a book of knowledge and all of us newbi's do appreciate it! Thanks man.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey rich I was looking on the site that daemon listed and for the EIII front it list MT90-16 is that the same as the MT90B-16?

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
Hey rich I was looking on the site that daemon listed and for the EIII front it list MT90-16 is that the same as the MT90B-16?
Ya... the B only indicates that it's a bias, not a radial. A bias may or may not have a "B" in the size, but a radial will always have an "R".

And before anyone asks... no, it's not a problem running a radial on the rear and bias on the front. :wink:

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks again I really appreciate the info.

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
+1

BUT... scout your local shops and find out what their policy is on mounting carry-in tires.

Some shops outright refuse, citing liability (BS, they just want the sale).
Other shops will charge an arm and a leg... $60+, with the rim off the tire... though they will mount in-house tires for free with the rims ON the bike.

I found a local shop that has no service department... everything is carry-in. $5 to dismount, $5 to mount, $5 to balance... that's $20 for my dirtbike and $30 for the vulcan for a pair... only catch is, they will not keep and dispose of carry-in tires.
A "good deal" would be $25 per tire with you carrying in the old ones on the rims, off the bike.

A set at $300 from the internet may look like a good deal until you find out that it's going to cost you $120 for mounting when it would have been $350 total from the local shop.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts