Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this in the flea market thread to contemplate moving this bike as a parts bike as my mechanic told me the bike wasn't worth repair. However, I guess I will just throw this thread out here to see what others feel about it's chances. In case the pics don't really show it, there is a hole punched in the block.

I am sick to my stomach. About 5 weeks ago, I rounded a corner about 2 blocks from my house and a car in the opposite lane struck my '82 KZ 1100A and smashed my engine guard up into the block of the engine and also smashed my ankle! I was ATTGATT, so damage was minimal to everything but the ankle. I am in a boot and recovering, but I am at a loss as what to do with the motorcycle. I think there is plenty on this bike that could be of value to others. I bought the bike last summer and bought brand new rubber for her. The day I wrecked, I had a new seat put in her. The seat has exactly 2 blocks on it! I don't even know what to ask for it. Hopefully it can be of use to someone It's sad. . .

Here is a link with photos of her sittin' in my garage.

Ridewcoach Motorcycles Home - Ridewcoach Motorcycles

·
Registered
124 Posts
I'm Sick Too , Senseless damage to you and a classic old bike.....

·
Registered
461 Posts
Glad you weren't injured further than the ankle. As far as the bike goes, well..........it looks bad, like the lower case was damaged along with the covers too. But, it might not be as bad as it looks. Make a list of what you need to replace and ebay and craigslist it. You might get back in business cheap, maybe even find a whole motor to boot. Good luck with whatever you choose and get well.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
I'd hang on to it for a while to give you time to search ebay or wherever for a replacement engine. There must be some out there.

·
This space for rent
687 Posts
Wow! You split the cylinder block open! Never seen one do that before.
That engine is about as trashed as you can get. Cylinder block is split, so the case is split, and even money the crank is bent.
New motor.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Stell, the bad thing is my foot was sitting right there where they hit that block. Good to see Eaton, IN. represented! I am an Anderson U grad, coached at Ball State for two years, then coached at Taylor for two years. I know the area well. Been through Eaton many times!

·
Obfuscation Engineer
6,686 Posts
Having a soft spot in my heart for the Gen III air-coolers I'll jump in with some good news .
There is no difference between the 1000(998cc) and 1100 cases INCLUDING the A model (shaft)
The differences are in the right angle drive and the counter shaft .
Hollywood motors is in the habit of selling engines only as is a Nevada outfit that I hear good things about . use search tempest to look at Craigslist throughout country as well as ebay .
This was and still is one of the longest produced aircooled inline four motorcycle engines on record .
Introduced in 1982 as the J model @ 998cc and the Police . Late in the year saw the introduction of the shaft in 1100 and the GPZ and LTD . Police model production didn't cease until late 2002 .
Don't hesitate because there arn't any more . just get an engine of any description and use the best parts of both after careful examination .
The most odd and difficult exchange will be the counter shaft but a quick look at the parts pis at kawasaki or bike bandit will relieve most of your fears about the mechanical aspect . Again , it just isn't that hard .A clear work space and the FACTORY SERVICE MANUAL (I wouldn't wipe your dog's a** with a chilton's clymer's or haynes) . A little help to get the old lump out and on a bench and a little help to get the new on in and you're set .

Short answer ? keep it , fix it , ride it :D

I'm always around if you need help

~kop

·
Obfuscation Engineer
6,686 Posts
steell , "even money the crank is bent" ???

The dyno end of that crank is pointed somewhere in the vicinity of left field ...

even money , pffft :D

·
Registered
359 Posts
Wow, that's painful looking but I'll bet your leg isn't any prettier. I think what your mechanic meant is that to pay him to repair it would not be worth the value of the bike. That is for sure. If you want to do the work yourself as a labor of love, well, maybe. I have a very nice '81 shafty with 15k miles. It is in very good shape but i would consider it's value at maybe $1500. (twice what I paid) so, go from there. I saw a J engine naked on CL yesterday for $200 but you never know what's inside. If you don't care, just part it out on ebay, probably get the most money but lot's of work. Anyway, good luck and take care of your ankle!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Kopcicle and Chocohills,
Thanks so much for your encouragement! The leg is getting better even though I swear somedays I have no idea how I'll ever walk on it again! I am not a very talented wrench. All my mechanic experiences were limited to when I was a poor 17 year old that was trying to keep his '80 El Camino on the road! After I starting making a little money, I started hiring people to work on my stuff. I've always had this desire deep down inside to learn how to work on engines/etc and thought bikes would be the perfect opportunity for that. I would love to put a new engine on, however it will be complete baptism by fire! So let me get this straight, I just need to locate a Kaw "J" engine? Anything that is an air cooled I-4 around 1000 CCs from 1982 to 2002 will do? I'm assuming I will need a factory service manual (per kopcicle's post). What are these parts pics at Bike Bandit? Thanks for putting up with a true hack!

·
Obfuscation Engineer
6,686 Posts
It might have been near 40 years ago but what do you think I was when I first started ? A genius ? Gawd Almighty's gift to motorcycle maintenance ? You have to start somewhere and these forums and these fine people as well as the known result since you have ridden it a bit should be incentive enough .
I currently have one running and and several in parts GenIII's
elr658 has been tinkering with these since the revolution (which revolution I don't remember)
steell and I seem to get to the same conclusions by different paths
Mfolks is a wealth of information generally and specifically about these bikes
Zorro is an enthusiast beyond and above the call . quite the cheerleader .

There are several less experienced (don't count posts as experience here :) ) wrenches here that we have guided through some rough spots that are more than willing to help . All the bunch here needs to see is a little initiative and they will jump on the bandwagon .

I suggest a rebuild thread documented with lots of pics and reciepies for home made beer and chili . Make a journal of it for others to refer back to .

Oh , the ankle ? Long walks in the short end of the pool . Care to ask how I know ?

~kop

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Kopcicle,

Sounds like you've wrecked the ankle too!! Okay, well, let me ask this question: When you say "Gen III's" what does this mean? Why are these called "J" engines? Could this post on Craigslist be a candidate?

1981 kz 1100 (gpz) motor

·
Obfuscation Engineer
6,686 Posts
keep in mind one intrinsic difference between the shaft and the GPZ . Other than the counter shaft the shift mechanism is just different enough that the neutral light indicator won't work with the 1100 shift drum stopper outer . You'll understand if you see them side by side . It's because the GPZ uses a linkage on the shift shaft and the standard doesn't .
Gen I the 903cc original in two variations with and without the channel around the camchain tunnel for the oring .
Gen II the 1015cc that includes the shaft and the classic with the head modified for fool infection (their first attempt wasn't very impressive )
Gen III includes the 998-1100cc , A model shaft , the LTD , Spectre , GPZ et all and has just one variation besides displacement . the 84' got a 18mm piston pin .
I won't go into all the differences but there was an assortment of crankshafts from light to full circle counterweight .
Beware of incomplete engines and projects . No telling what sins and travesties might be hidden in those cases :D
I would rather use a worn out virgin than a fresh 'ho . But if the right deal arises and you get a goo feel from the seller there's no reason no to jump . You do have plenty of good parts to go along with what I see as one of the more complete engine totals I have seen . Well save for a few semi ballistic , atmospheric crankshafts I've created over the years .

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just read what happened and it's really sad, I have an 81 kz 1100A KAWASAKI that I am restoring and I'm looking for a complete head and was wondering if you would consider selling yours, I haven't seen the picture but if I read correctly it's your block that's bad, I've been searching for a head for mine for what seems like forever and you would really be doing me a favor if you sold it to me,,my number is 8325161953 ,thank you

1 - 18 of 18 Posts