Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought the bike to help out a buddy in financial need. I don't know if this is a good deal or not but I paid $4k with 18k on the odo, he takes care of it well and most of the miles are from his commute. How much more life can I expect out of it? Looks like I'll be spending maybe $1,000 just to fix the puppy :[ By the way, just because I painted the entire panel red does not mean it's all damaged, it's scrapes or cracks mostly.

I need to know how difficult it is to remove the body panels for replacement. I'm man enough to take responsibility of learning how to fix it and doing so as soon as possible so I hope you guys can help. I also bent an aftermarket shift lever that sits farther back and higher up. I think I can bend that back, however nearly the entire left side needs to be replaced. Can the gas tank be hammered out? It has a dent a little smaller than a baseball on it's side. The kawi dealer said it was $245 in labor just for the front painted clip to be put on, let alone the parts cost, and the rest of the labor. I'm mechanically inclined, done a lot of work to my truck (see pics below) so I think I'm ready but want to hear some feedback and any ideas the experienced may have.

What are good sites to find parts for this bike? What are the names of the parts I need (front fairing, upper fairing, etc). What should the cost be to replace most of this (max)? The red in the pic below is what's damaged.

Storyline said:
Got onto the onramp and eased the throttle to near wide open and towards the apex of the turn (I think thats what it's referred to as) I got a little cocky and throttled a hair too much, the back end got out from under me and whipped me off the bike when I corrected. I was going about 30mph but accelerating fast, and skidded to a stop. I thought it was over until the bike slams into the back of me and rolls on top. I was pinned for a few seconds until I pushed it off me. I'm a long time dirtbike rider, new to streetbikes and made a stupid move. Thank God I was given a second chance. I have some damage but was wearing enough gear not to ***** about it (sprained ankle, bruised foot, back, road rash on knee, elbow has road rash somehow even with a leather jacket). I couldn't believe I was ok and neither were the people who witnessed it. I could hear the sirens coming and decided to leave, I didn't need their recommendation to go to the hospital, I can't afford it being a college student :[

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Plastics are crazy expensive. Best of luck. Your best bet is ebay or salvage yards, or a ZX-10 specific forum. Lots of users are usually trying to part out crashed bikes.

If the plastics arent too badly destroyed and they're ABS you can buy some quality ABS cement and repair them yourself. Do note you'll have to paint them afterwards, but you'll more than likely have to bodyfill and paint the tank anyway to get rid of that dent, unless you buy a spare.

(I dunno if the plastics on the ZX-10 are fiberglass, ABS or other so take this for what it's worth).

If you get this done at a dealer you're looking at probably closer to 2500/3000 after labour. The tank alone is worth 500-600 dollars.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Man I could cry. They can't repair the tank, maybe drill and pull, or knock out with a hammer from the inside? Man I'm unlucky, I'm willing to bet those are words that should never describe a streetbiker.

I'm not interested in repairing, just replacing and bolting back on. How difficult are the repairs? I'll have the tank done somewhere, but the rest I will bolt on myself. Just checked out your site, what are the technical terms of the parts I've damaged called in the bike world?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Check Ron Ayers Motorsports - Motorcycle, ATV, Jet Ski and Generators Parts and Accessories for the parts you need. Or you might be able to get new aftermarket body work for less than stock parts. Check ebay and the various Kawi boards too. As far as the tank goes if it's not dented on a crease try pulling it out with a plunger - wipe it clean and wet it, then suction it with the plunger - it'll get most if not all of the dent out and you can use body putty to complete the fix. Beats drilling and pulling, something I wouldn't want to do on a gas tank.
Get a shop manual to learn how to disassemble and reassemble it correctly so you don't spend more time than necessary or break anything inadvertently.

·
Registered
22,566 Posts
I didn't have pricing for all the parts but looks like without the gas tank and frame you are looking under $1K just for parts. without being able to look at the actual bike for a full crash estimate that's as close as I can get.

parts for this bike are cheaper than mine.

·
The Cruising Gunsmith
1,459 Posts
Man I could cry. They can't repair the tank, maybe drill and pull, or knock out with a hammer from the inside?
You can't get a hemmer in there. Drill and pull with a slide hammer is POSSIBLE, but you would really have to have the holes welded up TIGHT to make sure it never leaked gas. It's doable, not sure who does it. I'll bet the welder would want to make SURE all the gas fumes had been washed out before he starts....:biggrin:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The frame is only scratched/scuffed/roadrash. Is that not a plastic cover but the actual frame exposed? Jeez, I'm in deep. The prices on Ron Ayers aren't bad. These are the parts I need correct:

Center Tailsection (?) - $29.36 (is it really this cheap?)
Left Hand Upper Cowling - $106.34
Left Hand Mid Cowling - $184.81

So far $320.51 with my install.

And then the frame, gas tank need to be fixed as well as handle bar and peg need to be bent back.

Gas tank pics will be taken when I am home. The dent is in the top left of the tank, about the size of a lady's fist.

·
The Cruising Gunsmith
1,459 Posts
The frame is only scratched/scuffed/roadrash. Is that not a plastic cover but the actual frame exposed? Jeez, I'm in deep. The prices on Ron Ayers aren't bad. These are the parts I need correct:

And then the frame, gas tank need to be fixed as well as handle bar and peg need to be bent back.

Gas tank pics will be taken when I am home. The dent is in the top left of the tank, about the size of a lady's fist.
Plastic is pretty cheap, but they have to be prepped and painted. That's where they really get you. It's possible the dealer's labor quote may have factored that into the price?

·
Registered
22,566 Posts

that was roughly the price I was coming up with but like I said, looking to see if there is more damage than obviously visible can run a bill up, which was why I was prepping you to spend $1K rather than $350.

you could try a paintless dent removal place for the tank.

if the frame has a scratch on it, the insurance company would total it, even if it is just the paint. your call about that part.

you are better off buying new peg and bar, if you bend them they will probably brake and if they don't they are now stressed parts that could brake when you don't need them to.

another thing about the frame. I was just looking where you put the red dot. without actual pictures of the damage I can not tell you anything.

·
Registered
22,566 Posts
Plastic is pretty cheap, but they have to be prepped and painted. That's where they really get you. It's possible the dealer's labor quote may have factored that into the price?
these things will come in the color of the bike. NO PAINTING REQUIRED!!

the only time you will have to paint fairings is if you go aftermarket, they usually come in white or unpainted.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
these things will come in the color of the bike. NO PAINTING REQUIRED!!

the only time you will have to paint fairings is if you go aftermarket, they usually come in white or unpainted.
Well apparently sand got in my lense on my camera at pismo and does not work! However, I re-edited the photo to show what was actually damaged. It was not the fram but the lower engine cover, it's black plastic. It's just scratched and can be sanded and painted unless it's a cheap part to buy new?

That said, I'm still looking for local junk yards. Found one in fremont and asked for some parts, we'll see about their reply. I heard there is one in hayward as well, will look at other salvage yards. I was trying to bend the handlebars back and I broke it, I guess when alluminum stresses the first time, the second time it is even stronger.

Also, the bike has an aftermarket Vortex rearset shifter, the peg broke off while trying to bend it back as well. **** alluminum. I am going to contact Vortex, do you think they sell the shifter linkage bracket and peg on left side only or as a separate purchase. It's $350 new for both sides, I only need a couple parts though.

·
Registered
22,566 Posts
Well apparently sand got in my lense on my camera at pismo and does not work! However, I re-edited the photo to show what was actually damaged. It was not the fram but the lower engine cover, it's black plastic. It's just scratched and can be sanded and painted unless it's a cheap part to buy new?

That said, I'm still looking for local junk yards. Found one in fremont and asked for some parts, we'll see about their reply. I heard there is one in hayward as well, will look at other salvage yards. I was trying to bend the handlebars back and I broke it, I guess when alluminum stresses the first time, the second time it is even stronger.

Also, the bike has an aftermarket Vortex rearset shifter, the peg broke off while trying to bend it back as well. **** alluminum. I am going to contact Vortex, do you think they sell the shifter linkage bracket and peg on left side only or as a separate purchase. It's $350 new for both sides, I only need a couple parts though.
do you have the part number for the lower part that is scratched? is it the black plastic between the seat and the motor?

I wouldn't bet on them selling the parts separately but don't hurt to ask.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's these pieces I need. Here is the pic. I don't know if I highlighted the shifter side or the brake side, but it's the shift lever side I need.

Attachments

·
Vintage bike addict
4,812 Posts
As far as the tank goes. I have a method you can try. Empty the tank, Rinse it really well with fresh water. Warm the dented area with a heat gun on low. Apply dry ice to the deepest portion of the dent. It may pop right out. You may have to do it several times but you may be able to get most if not all of the dent out. Once it's close a little body filler and sanding and it's ready for paint. There are products for repairing the plastic bumpers on cars that could be used to fix the plastic fairings. Remove ,repair, repaint. All is good.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Thats a really good idea antiq.

I'd say no to the drill and pull though. It's just bad news. You'd have to do a repair job that's 140% to be sure it doesnt leak. You'll still need to bodyfill any dimples (you wont pull it back out 100%) and if you drop the bike again on that side the weld will more than likely come out. Gas coming from a sparking motorbike is not what you want in the event of an accident.

You might try ebaying for a good tank off another bike. If it were me I'd just try to beat out what I can, use suction cups and the dry ice method, and body fill whatever wont come out.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
As far as replacing the plastics, its easy. They are only held on by some screws maybe a bolt or two, but thats it. I take the pastics off my bikes all the time, the first time you do it, its a little harder because you got to find out where all the screws are. Believe me, they can hide some screws in some tight and unsuspecting places. Youll get all the screws off and start to pull only to find out that the son of ***** wont come off. Oh man, there is a screw in such a tight place that a tooth pick wont fit. once you do it once, its a breeze after that. Sorry your bike got hurt but its fixable. Everyone is saying just to replace the parts, I say take the old parts and fix them. The cracks in the pastics? easy. Elmers glue works wonders. Tastes good too. lol Just kidding

1 - 20 of 36 Posts