Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Be careful if you own a 2021 Versys 650 (all markets) since Kawasaki has no idea which parts are on your motorcycle.

I needed to change my handlebar since I've bent it so I ordered part number 46003-0624-18R as per catalog (many sites stated it is the correct one). Well it ain't it!!!

When I changed the handlebars I compared the two and found that the ordered part is 20mm shorter (10mm per side) and has the knurled areas in different locations. It still fits, but not 100% the same as the initial part.

I've searched a bit more and found that for the 2022 model the part numbers are different and the overall dimensions are exactly with my initial handlebar. The new part number is 46003-0811-18R. They also changed the handle holders and the handle clamp to match the new knurled area location.

So, I have a 2021 Versys 650 with some 2022 parts and Kawasaki swears this is not possible !!!

I did contact the local dealer and got an "FU" as an answer. Also, they don't want to sell me the service manual, still an "FU" as answer.

·
Administrator
4,457 Posts
Very interesting screwup on the handlebars. Thanks for the heads-up
You don't mention which country you are from but you can order a service manual directly from kawasaki.com online.
Sounds like the more you bypass that particular dealer, the better off you will be.

·
Registered
986 Posts
When I was a Parts manager for a Yamaha dealer, I ordered a carburetor for the then CEO of Saab of North America, Robert Sinclair, one of the most stand up people I've ever met. He came in to get the part, and in the box was a piston stuck inside. I apologized profusely, he asked if he could use my phone, I obliged. He called his personal friend, the CEO pf Yamaha of North America, and told them what happened. The next day, we got the carb, overnighted to us, with a service ticket to install it on his motorcycle, courtesy of Yamaha Motor Corporation. That call also made us a 1st tier dealership and we got everything we ordered, and fast too, and the "hard to get" motorcycles. Sometimes, it is who you know. ;)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When I was a Parts manager for a Yamaha dealer, I ordered a carburetor for the then CEO of Saab of North America, Robert Sinclair, one of the most stand up people I've ever met. He came in to get the part, and in the box was a piston stuck inside. I apologized profusely, he asked if he could use my phone, I obliged. He called his personal friend, the CEO pf Yamaha of North America, and told them what happened. The next day, we got the carb, overnighted to us, with a service ticket to install it on his motorcycle, courtesy of Yamaha Motor Corporation. That call also made us a 1st tier dealership and we got everything we ordered, and fast too, and the "hard to get" motorcycles. Sometimes, it is who you know. ;)
Nice story, but mine is not about a single mistake, every part dealer has been given the wrong info straight from Kawasaki who doesn't care about the final customer.

I am glad it fits since I will be selling the bike anyways.

·
Registered
986 Posts
I can't comment on such an experience. You would then there would be 100's of posts of multiple forums, and online retailers of Kawasaki service. A couple of bad apples doesn't ruin an orchard. Sounds like a bit of hyperbole. While I was a Yamaha dealer, they made quite a few mistakes. The parts were picked by machines, and a human loaded those parts into those bins. I worked for all 4 major Japanese motorcycle companies and everyone of them goofed up sometimes. You might never want to work on British cars, something I do often, you really have to know who you are buying from, and be prepared for the wrong fit. Sh*t happens. :)

·
Administrator
4,457 Posts
I find it really odd that you would trust a dealer who regularly tells you "FU". Why would you trust them when they tell you that it is Kawasaki that is sending them the wrong parts? Have you ever considered that maybe your dealer is the one who is ordering the wrong parts and just wants someone else to blame?

It sounds like it is the dealer who does not care about the customer.

Things must be tough in Romania.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Having spent 12 years in auto parts in the past, Including time in a GM dealership, I can guarantee you it is not just a Kawasaki issue.

·
Administrator
4,457 Posts
When you think of the millions of parts orders that get filled, it is hard to imagine anyone having a perfect score. Mistakes happen from Kawasaki Corporate all the way down to the guy at the dealership that orders the parts. How do I know? I used to be parts manager for a Kawasaki dealership and I can confess to ordering the wrong parts once in while. 😁

·
Registered
986 Posts
This is their bread and butter. Mistakes happen, but so do lousy dealerships. Unfortunately, your country has that dealership in charge, and they don't seem like cool people. Then again, it's also how the customer approaches the seller. I've had people walk in so pissed off, and maybe I made a simple mistake, or they did, they may have given the wrong year, but they were their to vent, not resolve. I like all the local dealers in my area. They all try hard, have online stores, and give me the best prices they possibly can. I don't mind paying a little more when I can walk out of the dealership, with the part in hand, no waiting, just going home to install it.

I am planning to buy a helmet from them. They have some really nice ones in stock. I can try these helmets on too. Some have been sitting their for a couple of years. I will try to beat them down throughly if they fit. Ultimately, once I try it on, I could go online an buy it, but if it's a $30 dollar difference, I'll buy it from them. They stocked it, and sometimes that convenience is worth paying for. :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I find it really odd that you would trust a dealer who regularly tells you "FU". Why would you trust them when they tell you that it is Kawasaki that is sending them the wrong parts? Have you ever considered that maybe your dealer is the one who is ordering the wrong parts and just wants someone else to blame?

It sounds like it is the dealer who does not care about the customer.

Things must be tough in Romania.
Just this crappy Kawasaki dealer/importer who is acting like this, and it can continue to be like this since it is the only importer in the country and Kawasaki Corporate doesn't give a crap (I did emailed them about this).

I think this is a local problem. They probably have old inventory they are trying to sell. Can't you order from outside a neighboring country? ;)
Parts were ordered from Germany, it was 5 times cheaper.

The bike is fixed now and I did a few test rides, I actually think it works better than before when it comes to steering.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts