Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Novice Tank Roller
15,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, so my buddy and I are planning to do a trip from NC up to WV to enjoy the mountains for a long weekend. We're gonna leave on a Thursday and ride up, spend Friday and Saturday, and come back on a Sunday. The routes/rides are from some literature he found, and they are generally in the eastern and central part of the state. From a glance I got, looks like around the Canaan Valley area and south of there.

What I'm wondering, is if anyone from up around there knows of a good local motel that would be a good base of operation to plan day-rides from. We'd be looking for someplace local, clean, and inexpensive.\

Thanks all....

·
Ahhh Crap
2,344 Posts
Canaan Valley would be a good staging area. Never been there but the guy across the street rides his C50 down there to some kind of event every summer and loves the area. A little further north in the MD panhandle is Deep Creek, just north of Oakland, which is a nice resort area. Just south of Oakland is Rt. 50 which is an amazing ride. There used to be a motorcycle touring company around here somewhere that offered guided tours of the Canaan Valley area which tells me it would be a great place to spend a few days.

·
Vintage bike addict
4,812 Posts
Hey Dave. PM me when you know the dates for certain and the route. I'm real close to the Wv panhandle. Maybe we can meet up somewhere.

·
Spinach Eating Moderator
22,962 Posts
If you hear banjo music...RUN! :shock:

·
Registered
22 Posts
try to look up info on the blue ridge parkway,i have ridden it from N.C.toVA. a couple of times,jump off the blue ridge in va at hwt 58 that will take you up over lovers leap and put you out on interstate 77 go north to interstate 81 go south and pick up 58 again right up into bluefeild wva.

·
Novice Tank Roller
15,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think we're going to be riding in the Snowshoe area, so we'll probably pick up 219 somewhere along the way and follow it up. Not sure yet about other riding in that area, but the roads look like there's lots of possibilities!

·
Haulin In Seventh Gear
657 Posts
I think we're going to be riding in the Snowshoe area, so we'll probably pick up 219 somewhere along the way and follow it up. Not sure yet about other riding in that area, but the roads look like there's lots of possibilities!
I rode 219 last year and it was a SLOW paced road. Awesome though. I rode up to snowshoe and cut over and up through to the eastern panhandle. I would have to look at a map to know the exact roads, but any "old" highways in WV are good ones!

·
Novice Tank Roller
15,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I rode 219 last year and it was a SLOW paced road. Awesome though. I rode up to snowshoe and cut over and up through to the eastern panhandle. I would have to look at a map to know the exact roads, but any "old" highways in WV are good ones!
What do you mean by slow paced? I'm looking for curves. Going to take the 650 instead of the Vulcan, so it will be more of a sport riding weekend. Do you know what the mileage was up 219? Can you suggest any reasonable places to stay?

·
Haulin In Seventh Gear
657 Posts
What do you mean by slow paced? I'm looking for curves. Going to take the 650 instead of the Vulcan, so it will be more of a sport riding weekend. Do you know what the mileage was up 219? Can you suggest any reasonable places to stay?
It was two years ago when I did it; I planned on running the whole length of 219 but due to the road conditions (twisty, dirty, busted up roads) I had to cut east in Snowshoe and head north from there. It was still a GREAT route. I thought I could do 219 in 4 hours but realistically I think it would have been 8-10 hours long on the bike. Unfortunately I don't know places to stay because I was heading back home and made it home at the end of my ride and I started in deal's gap. I was on a sportbike, too. Also, get gas frequently because I recall there being very few gas stations. I forget the mileage from one end to the other but I seem to think it was 200 miles (give or take) from south to north.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Dave, I used to ski in Canaan Vally. The roads in that area are very twisty. Because of the snow they get there, they do a lot of salting, and put gravel down.

It's almost heaven for sure, but watch the roads this time of year.

D

·
Registered
839 Posts
I rode 219 last year and it was a SLOW paced road. Awesome though. I rode up to snowshoe and cut over and up through to the eastern panhandle. I would have to look at a map to know the exact roads, but any "old" highways in WV are good ones![/QUOTE

How long will it take to ride from Bluefield, WV. to Deep Creek, Maryland? Based on the 219 Hwy. Got that ride on the calendar, hopefully :lol:

·
Haulin In Seventh Gear
657 Posts
Honestly without looking I have absolutely no idea. It took me all day to get from deal's gap, tn to kearneysville wv and that was literally ALL day!

·
Novice Tank Roller
15,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Dave, I used to ski in Canaan Vally. The roads in that area are very twisty. Because of the snow they get there, they do a lot of salting, and put gravel down.

It's almost heaven for sure, but watch the roads this time of year.

D
Not going until May. Hopefully they'll be clear by then! :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts