Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Darth Rider
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the early stages of planning a cross country trip this summer.
So far I have the following.
3 weeks to go from Idaho to North Carolina to Vermont and back to Idaho. (6k miles)
Is this enough time to complete this trip? What sights routes are a must see/do?

·
Slow Guy on a Fast Bike
25,224 Posts
Have a chat with David (ispeed). He criss-crossed the country a couple years back in a lot less than 3 weeks.

I'd think 3 weeks would be a decent amount of time, that's about 250 miles a day.

Good luck, sounds like a fun time.

·
Registered
249 Posts
That sounds like a GREAT trip... wish I was going, too.
Trikebubble's right, you should have enough time. But you're bound to get rain at least some of the time, especially in the midwest and northeast. And that will slow you down (or even stop you). Also, sight seeing will take up some time. You've got lots of daylight, and you may need to do some 10-hr days where the roads are long and there's not much to see (North Dakota comes to mind).

·
Premium Member
2,603 Posts
...3 weeks to go from Idaho to North Carolina to Vermont and back to Idaho. (6k miles)
Is this enough time to complete this trip?
Sounds like plenty of time to me. You should be able to do it in 2 weeks so that extra week gives ya a comfort factor. :wink:

Is there some specific reason why you've made NC and Vermont you goals here -family, bike rally, etc ?

Oh and have you done some long rides before (are you an old hand at this ?), and what bike are you gonna make this run on :wink:

·
Darth Rider
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lets see I have a 2007 Vulcan 2k LT, I put 9k on it in 4 months. You could say I ride a lot. I almost live on. My brother said that the top of the tank was big enough to make sandwiches. I have done a few long distance trips.

My significant other is the one I am worried about.
She has no experience with ridding. She took the m/c training class last fall. She just picked up her bike this weekend. Its a 2006 Vulcan 900 custom. From what I read the bike should be fine for this trip.
We are planing on many weekend trips prior to leaving.

·
RIP Deron Harden :-(
32,545 Posts
this year was my longest trip, 8069 miles in 16 days. went from MA to WA, via Nebraska. then through MT, UT, CO, KS, IL and back home. it is doable that way, but it wasn't much fun. i did have a few days of down time and barely any riding though. three weeks is plenty of time to give you guys a good trip and plenty of time to enjoy the sites.

·
Registered
437 Posts
North Carolina - Vermont begs for a run on the Dragon and some Blue Ridge Parkway. Although some of the lesser known roads are as enjoyable, this ride is tailor fit for that run. Especially after all of the straight line interstate getting over here.

Idaho, how are you planning on coming into NC? If you can hit I-40, the trip I have laid out makes sense.

So many possibilities, let see: the Dragon to the Parkway to the Skyway, down through Richmond and over to the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel, and up the coast: mountains and beaches, with some History thrown in.

Yeah, that would be it. As much as I love the run through Western/Central Pa up to NY to 5/20, being you are from Idaho, you need some ocean/beach sightings.

·
IBA#34418
6,332 Posts
In my opinion the Blueridge was a much better ride than the dragon! If you can ride part of the Blueridge you'll love it!

If your wife is riding that 900 with you, I would highly suggest getting her a Mustang seat first or her butt will be killing her!

·
Darth Rider
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
wow, and I thought I was the only one that was crasy for riding!
I have to be in NC on the 19th for a wedding. Then I have to be in northern VT by the 26th for a family reunion. Then I should be able to hit Sturgis on opening weekend.
I have heard that the OEM seat on the 900 is bad.
I know the tail of the dragon is a must and the blue ridge parkway. One of my biggest concerns os getting around DC and NY City.

·
Registered
437 Posts
One of my biggest concerns is getting around DC and NY City.
That is why I considered telling you to go up 17 or 15 (or whatever it is called now) in PA to upstate NY, then cutting across: eleiminates DC and NYC and Jersey and all of those toll road nightmares on a motorbike, but you don't get as much beach, and the beach is nice.

And about the Dragon: it is good for the T-shirt, the ultimate bragging tool at the local Idaho motorcycle shops. And you can get the pics of you online to prove. Other than that, the only cool things are the lack of driveways and a neat tree. The parkway is also (mostly) driveway-less, but the slow road to VA.

Where in NC is the wedding?

·
Darth Rider
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I will be in Rocky Mount. I am no stranger to the east coast. I grew up in NH and spent 2 years in Rocky Mount, graduated HS there.

·
US Submarine Force Vet
66 Posts
You can pick up Rt. 301 just north of Richmond and take it through Delaware. It bypasses DC and Baltimore. Then either take the Cape May-Lewis ferry and ride the Jersey coast or head up past Philly into NY. Enjoy your trip and be safe.

Keith

1 - 14 of 14 Posts