Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Former Vulcan Lady
4,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The title was supposed to be "For those with XM on their bike" but I get a fatal error when posting with more than a one word title. I hope they figure out the issue soon. I originally thought it was just when posting pictures but it seems to be for other instances as well.

Now for the message:

My husband is giving me XM for the motorcycle (my holiday gift). I have two choices and I would love input from the group.

1. Have it go through my Zumo - the problem is that if my Zumo dies, I am stuck.

2. Mount it on the bike - Not sure how to do this and how do others deal with the rain issue.

Any input would be greatly appreciated as I am anxious to get it.

·
TV Guru
11,779 Posts
In my case, my GPS has an MP3 player, so I use that, but here's how mine is mounted. I use a bracket by RAM:

If it looks like it might rain, I put a sandwich bag over it (the cheap kind with the flap closure, not the zipper kind since the zipper makes getting it into the mount harder).

They also make waterproof cases for those units.

A light sprinkle likely won't hurt it, though, especially if it's behind your windshield.

As far as power, I picked up a weatherproof cigarette lighter plug from my local shop that connects to the pigtail for my battery tender. I ran the plug up to the frame, just ahead of the front of the tank.

Here are some links to some products RAM makes for what you probably need:

XM Radio Mounts

RAM Aqua Box Mounts

·
Former Vulcan Lady
4,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the links. I should have thought to google XM mounts. I have a RAM mount for my Camera.

·
Premium Member
820 Posts
I have a techmount mount with velcro on the base. This serves to hold my gps or mp3 player. At first I was skeptical whether the velcro would hold, but actually it holds perfectly well and softens the vibrations a bit at the same time. It's held my gps and i-pod through rain, 110 degree temps for thousands of miles. As far as rain, being behind the windshield makes it OK for use in light rain while moving, for standing still in rain, or heavier rain, a plastic baggy or just pulling it off the mount and putting in my pocket works fine.

Never mind the arrow in the picture below, that is the power adapter I installed for power. The techmount mount is on the left, the chrome square base with the black velcro patch on it. I simply put velcro on the back of the gps and ipod, and it works wonderfully.

The velcro on the back also does not interfere with using the Garmin gps in its regular mount in my truck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts