Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.... i'm a new rider... i don't have my own bike yet... i just ride my friends bike... but i'm looking at getting 250R just because i'm a new rider. Does anyone know of a great place to buy good helmets online or what type of helmet i should get?

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

welcome to the forum! - ridegear.com has helmets and i would recommend a full face
i use a nolan full face gemini series and have been very happy with it 8)

·
Proud Owner Of This Forum & Beartooth Kawasaki
2,735 Posts
Welcome jbed glad to have you on board give Lauri a call at 1-800-556-3098 Beartooth Kawasaki she will help you save big$$$ on a helmet. 8)

·
Registered
239 Posts
Welcome aboard. I have had good success with helmetharbor.com and I also reccommend full-face with visor. Personally, I use a Shoei RF700 which, I think, has been replaced with the RF1000 now. They're not cheap but they are a quality product.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thank you

thanx everyone for their input... um to try to answer all ur questions... no i haven't taken the msf yet... but i plan on it... Here in Pa, they only offer it like april through october... so i'm taking it with my uncle in april. Also I like the shoei helmets they are very, very nice but a lil pricy any better ones to just start out on? i mean i was looking at getting a KBC VR-1 either that or just purchasing one with my bike. but please let me kno... thanks...

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
Re: thank you

jbed22002 said:
thanx everyone for their input... um to try to answer all ur questions... no i haven't taken the msf yet... but i plan on it... Here in Pa, they only offer it like april through october... so i'm taking it with my uncle in april. Also I like the shoei helmets they are very, very nice but a lil pricy any better ones to just start out on? i mean i was looking at getting a KBC VR-1 either that or just purchasing one with my bike. but please let me kno... thanks...
The way I always go through it is buy the best gear you can possibly afford, it is the one thing between your body and the pavement, make sure it is DOT (all are) and Snell certified, the KBC's are all Snell certified I believe.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
sharks

there is one like that!! - i almost got it!! i believe nolan makes i'll see if i can find it again
in their gemini series they have some bad graphic helmets similar to the high $ shoei lids
but for much less :wink:

·
Registered
167 Posts
250R

I originally was going to buy a 250R, but when I thought about how little power it was I figured I would get tired of it quick. I am a new rider as well, my first bike I chose was the 500R. It's not too much power but I won't get tired of it anytime soon. It was the first bike I've ever ridden and it's a great starter bike as anyone will tell you.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hi to you......Just to let you know I started out with the Ninja 250....great bike........It was a easy bike to learn on........the great thing about this bike was.... it was light, low to the ground and it looked like the big boys you could not tell it was a 250....I had a jet kit on it and it had some pep I'm only 5'2 and the bike would roll....it tought me alot of things......it was easy to handle, and it was fun....but I had a couple of problems with the bike....it was light...so when it was windy....oh man .......I just fought with the bike....of course I had to have more speed after the first couple of months, soooooo I sold it (that was not hard) and moved up to the zx-6, I love this bike.....so anyways good luck... and be safe.....

Sunshine out......Peace

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
Lots of good helmets out there, but first consideration should be "fit" an ill fitting quality helmet will probably protect less than "lesser" quality helmet that fits you right. Crash protection aside an uncomfortable helmet with hotspots takes away a lot of the fun of riding.

As far as protection goes, any full face with snell certification will offer about equal protection, the extra money goes towards bells and whistles. Colors, vents, weight, removable linings, breath guards, etc...

Visit dealers and try them on, we don't all have the same head shape.Not all helmets fit every head properly. Some people have Shoei heads others have Arai heads,etc... Actually Arai and Shoie have different models for different head shapes.

When you do try them on, once you've found one you like, try keeping it on your head for as long as possible before making a final decision.

I remember buying my first helmet, luckily the salesgirl who was helping me choose, insisted I keep a helmet I liked and thought fit well on my head, after about 10 minutes I started feeling hotspots ( feels like a blister starting to happen ).

The helmet should feel snug ( borderline too tight ) when you put it on. When you grab the helmet and move it from side to side and front to back your skin should move with the padding . As long as there are no hotspots you should be okay, the padding will compress slightly with time eliminating the too tight feeling.

Tie the chinstrap, grab the lower edge of the helmet at the back of your head ( nape of the neck ) and try to roll your helmet up and off your head. If it does roll off then choose another type of helmet or a smaller size.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I've got a KBC TK-7 silver and black. It was cheap and looks/feels great. There are many better helmets out there, but this one's cheap and nice.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts