Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Power Hungry V2K Rider
6,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Naomi needs new shoes and the Dunlop 404 I put on her at RL a year or so ago is about shot and the front is starting to show its' wear as well.

When I picked up the scoot, it had Metzlers on it. Liked them, got good wear, and handled well. The Dunlops had handled fair and the wear is "all right."

I really want wide white walls but can handle black walls.

Whatever brand it is, gotta have a 150/16H (at least) front and rear. Previous owner put a 130/16 on the front and that really made handling strange on the Nomad.

No Bridgestones, Continentals, or Chin Shings. Have never been happy with any of these.

So, the choice is
Metzler ME880 (White wall
Dunlop 404 or 402 (White wall
Avon Venom X (White wall
Michelin Commander (Black wall
Prielli MT66 Route Cruiser (Black wall)

Let the debate begin.

·
Power Hungry V2K Rider
6,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I think you really answered your own question. ME880's. Just make sure the size you go with is compatable with your rim widths.
That's the direciton I'm leaning. Just wqondering what other have experienced with the other three mfgs tyres.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
Yep, ME 880's is a good choice. I have a set that is being mounted today.

·
Premium Member
1,037 Posts
John I have the stock Dunlop 404s on my 900. They have 7700 miles and still good rubber, but have also started looking at tires for this coming year. I found that a set of the Prielli Rt 66s were about $60 cheaper than the same size Mitzelers. Mitzeler is owned by Prielli. At the recent bike show I asked the rep and he stated the Mets were a far better tire. Better handling and wear. He did mention that this sping, at Bike Week, Prielli will be announcing a new cruiser tire.

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
I've heard good comments about the Avons from a friend who has a nomad. Why aren't you considering a car tire for the back??? :)
Try to find one :wink:

It's a lot easier to find the appropriate "dark side" tire for the 900 with it's 15" rim. Never heard of anyone able to put one on a Nomad. If I could pin down the right size for my 1600 I'd do it.

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
Because he's not stupid?
Don't knock it if you haven't tried it.
Valk, Goldwing, and V2K owners have been doing it for 10 years.
It works, works quite safely, handling impact is minor, and you can get over 20k out of them.

The ONLY naysayers are those who have not tried it. Never seen a single person who's done it say they will ever go back.

·
Novice Tank Roller
15,810 Posts
The only reason I haven't tried it is because I can't find a car tire to fit my 1500 classic. :frown:

Don't knock it if you haven't tried it.
Valk, Goldwing, and V2K owners have been doing it for 10 years.
It works, works quite safely, handling impact is minor, and you can get over 20k out of them.

The ONLY naysayers are those who have not tried it. Never seen a single person who's done it say they will ever go back.

·
Power Hungry V2K Rider
6,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ME880 all the way, I think they now do a white wall ?
Yes they do a very nice white wall.

I've heard good comments about the Avons from a friend who has a nomad. Why aren't you considering a car tire for the back??? :)
Can't find a 150/16 that would fit. I'd love to go to the dark side if I could find something that would fit the 1500. I've considered going to a custom 15" rear wheel. But, the cost is just prohibitive.

Metzler 880's. Have em on my 900 lb. Venture and love em! :D They handle and wear great!
I think that the decision is made. Metzler 880s with wide white walls. Had 'em on the bike when I got it and loved 'em. Also had them on my '86 Venture. The Dunlops have worked fairly well, but I like the handling and wear of the Metzs better.

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
Can't find a 150/16 that would fit. I'd love to go to the dark side if I could find something that would fit the 1500. I've considered going to a custom 15" rear wheel. But, the cost is just prohibitive.
Just a thought.....

Is the rear hub from the Zuk' LC1500 compatible with the Vulcan final drive?
That's a 15" rim, and another bike very popular with dark siders.

·
Power Hungry V2K Rider
6,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just a thought.....

Is the rear hub from the Zuk' LC1500 compatible with the Vulcan final drive?
That's a 15" rim, and another bike very popular with dark siders.
Now THAT is a very good question. Need to find out.

·
Giggidy-Giggidy-Goo!
1,623 Posts
I can only help to compound your choice ...here's another one:

Maxxis Classic M6011 Whitewall Rear TIre - Motorcycle Superstore

I haven't used them ...don't know anything about them ...I thought I'd throw it in just in case you are in the experimenting mood to try something new (and, then, tell the rest of us).

If I go with WW for my next set, I'd probably go with the Metzlers.

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts