Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, just wanted to do my initial posting and ask a couple of noob questions... I've only had one other motorcycle and that was a Kawasaki 440LTD, can't remember the year. It wasn't real fast, but it was fun, mainly cuz it was my first. Then I drove my brother-in-laws Ducati 650 and knew I had to have a sport bike. So I have the money and I'm shopping around now.

I'm looking at getting a brand new 2004 ZX-6R. Questions:

1. What is the "major" difference between the ZX-6R and the ZX-6RR?
2. Should I get an extended warranty?
3. MSRP is $7,999. Is that what I can expect to pay from the dealer?

·
Registered
456 Posts
I can't comment on questions 1 and 3, but here's my thoughts on question 2. The reason dealers push an extended warranty is because they make a big profit on it. They're betting the bike is reliable, and you're betting it's not. But if you really think it's a lemon, shouldn't you be buying a different bike?

I never buy extended warranties. I think it's better to just take good care of it, especially the items related to long-term life, like oil changes.

If you just want peace of mind, then feel free to buy the extra warranty. I don't like taking risks when my life is at stake, but if it's only money, then I don't mind taking some risks. And I think this is one where the averages are on your side, especially if you do a good job with maintenance.

There is one more potential problem with extended warranties. And that is that dishonest dealers will do everything they can to not pay out on them. And it's your word against his. If he says no, your only recourse is to take him to court. If you have a reputable dealer, it's no problem, but if your dealer is a sleeze, you can kiss your warranty goodbye. So check the rep on your dealer.
Curt

1 - 5 of 5 Posts