Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am fascinated by all the rave reviews that the V2K gets. But what is this beast really all about? For instance I browse quite a few You Tube vids of V2k and I get the impression that the thing has very smooth power but....but it seems so unbelievably quiet and refined. Even a few that are boasting aftermarket pipes. A few of the videos you can't even hear the engine at all on fly-bys. I am afraid I would be really disappointed in a V2K if I want something a little more jagged and visceral. So are V2K's really that refined...or is it just some of their owners?

·
the "fun" guy
32,859 Posts
As you are probably well aware of...you can make any motorcycle "LOUD" if that's what you want. :)

I left my stock pipes on mine as I was tired of my 1500 drowning out my MP3 music at highway speed. The stock pipes have a nice rumble to them and yet allow you to hear other things as you ride. It's all about personal choice.

·
2012 GT1400 Concours
658 Posts
As you are probably well aware of...you can make any motorcycle "LOUD" if that's what you want. :)
It's all about personal choice.
+1. I totally agree. It was cool having the pipes stock & stealth. Great feeling pulling up next to someone and cracking the throttle to wizz by and seeing the suprised look on there face as the quiet and smooth sounding bike laps them. Theres also much to be said about having pipes (I have HK Sideburners) and doing the same - they just hear you coming.

·
the "fun" guy
32,859 Posts
+1. I totally agree. It was cool having the pipes stock & stealth. Great feeling pulling up next to someone and cracking the throttle to wizz by and seeing the suprised look on there face as the quiet and smooth sounding bike laps them. Theres also much to be said about having pipes (I have HK Sideburners) and doing the same - they just hear you coming.
LOL...:)

Sooooo....maybe we need two bikes...one with and one without loud pipes. :)

·
Last 007 MOM
9,231 Posts
I have that. Have the 900 to make noise and the V2K for comfort :smile:

Aside from noise I don't know that you can gain enough power going to aftermarket exhaust to really make a difference from stock anyway. Some of the aftermarket stuff may look better depending on your own perspective, they can really get loud (Spok and Moparman's are loud), but sound good.

Is the V2K refined? I guess that depends on your definition of "refined." Will it try to pull your arms from their sockets as you roll the fuel on ... yep. Is it good on the super slab ... yep. Its not the fastest big dog on the street, but climb on one, really roll the throttle on and then see if it is refined. Its not a momma boys ride. :wink: :biggrin:

·
2012 GT1400 Concours
658 Posts
Now there's an idea... 2 bikes... hmmmmm!

·
Last 007 MOM
9,231 Posts
My 900 is loud with the Cobra Slashdowns ... I do love that bike.

·
V2K In Torque We Trust
1,121 Posts
Big With Style

So I am fascinated by all the rave reviews that the V2K gets. But what is this beast really all about? For instance I browse quite a few You Tube vids of V2k and I get the impression that the thing has very smooth power but....but it seems so unbelievably quiet and refined. Even a few that are boasting aftermarket pipes. A few of the videos you can't even hear the engine at all on fly-bys. I am afraid I would be really disappointed in a V2K if I want something a little more jagged and visceral. So are V2K's really that refined...or is it just some of their owners?
I don't know that the bike so refined. It's big and bad and different and I've got the stock pipes. It is very smooth, fast and handles really well and it's BIG, did I say that already? I think that's what I like about it the most it's big and looks big but with style not like the Rocket III (only My opinion) And the way it sits. Now I haven't ridden but did sit on the VTX 1800. Rocket III, Stratoliner and the M109. They just don't sit like the 2K. Now these are all BIG bikes but the 2K is BIG with style! Did I say that already? :mrgreen: 8)

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks fella that just about covers it. Sounds like the V2K is a bit of a Cadillac...with attitude. :D

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
I left my stock pipes on mine. the stock pipes have a nice depth rumble.
I do love that sound. Like "2WheelFun" said it's all about personal choce.
Have safe and Happy Holidays.

·
BACK ON TWO WHEELS
13,542 Posts
The V2K rocks, it is quiet from the factory and that is "fixable". The V2K is pure raw muscle and it pulls like a banshee from hell. I never though i would ever like a "V-twin" until I rode the V2K. Having always been a road rocket type. I enjoy my V2K as much as my 14. I love being able to have unlimited torque and cruise, esp on the days I want to just relax....WIll kick the livin **** out any HD

Heres what i have done to my thus far:

Muzzy drag pipes
Kuryakyn Hypercharger Pro-R
Dynojet PC III
Kuryakyn ISO grips
Kuryakyn Throttle Boss both sides
Kuryakyn Streamers (Red/Black)
Kuryakyn Red Accent Rings
Kuryakyn Wide Chrome Levers
Kuryakyn Shifter Covers
Kuryakyn Brake Cover
Kuryakyn Floorboards
Kuryakyn Highway Pegs
Kuryakyn Switch Covers
Kuryakyn Mirrors
Goodridge Chrome SS Brake Lines
Cobra Fatty Highway Bar
Show Chrome Radiator Cover
Show Chrome Font Fender Rail
Mustang Seats
Kawasaki Luggage rack
Baron's Handle Bar Tach (chrome)
Willie and Max Trunk Bag
Willie and Max Tool Pouch
Willie and Max Windscreen Bag
National Cycle Light Bar w/Spots

·
Registered
401 Posts
I would have to say many of the cruiser being built today would all be put into that "refined class". Since the advent of the couterbalancers, FI, the V twin engines don't shake the hell out of you like they use to. Some Manufactures do a better job at it than others. When I was looking it came down to the V2k, and Stratoliner. The Stratoliner to me felt more refined than the V2k. When I sat on it you could not even tell it was running, except for the exhaust. The V2k still shakes you a little, the way I like it.

·
Registered
235 Posts
The V2K is refined, to a degree. It maintains the classic V-Twin design and rumble, but screams at higher RPMs. I believe it has the best sound of any stock bike. I love it's sound stock. There are times I wish it were a bit more aggressive sounding, but not enough to spend the bucks.

As it's been said before, the V2K excels in every situation. You just have to ride one for a day. That's all it will take! But I warn you, don't ride one unless you're ready to pull out the checkbook!

Dennis

·
Last 007 MOM
9,231 Posts
Carlo ... you are a noise maker :wink: :smile:

·
Registered
157 Posts
I'm on both sides of the fence too. I really like the sound of the stock pipes on my V2K. However the sound of the aftermarket pipes on my brother inlaws bike is great as well.

When I was a teenager there used to be a diverter valve you could buy to put on your car's exhaust. It was very crude and leaked like crazy, but the principle was that you pull a lever and either run the exhaust through the muffler or through the straight pipes. I'm sure the rest of the old [email protected]%ts on this forum will remember them.

Someone just has to develop something for a bike that will give you the best of both worlds. Press a button when you really want to let her rip.

OK, I'm not really serious, but it would be neat.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts