Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We were working in Sibley, IA last week. We went to eat at the only Mexican resturant in town and it was good. As we were going in a guy pulled up to the building across the street on a black 1600 with sidecar, then again as we were coming out. The next day as I walked people out to our work trailer I again saw the 1600 going down the road. I ask some of the folks where we were working about the sidecar & was told they were made in Sibley.

So when we got off work I had to go by & check them out. They make three difference sidecars & at least one bike trailer. One thing I never thought of is a electric lean adjuster to keep the bike going strait down the road where you have someone in the sidecar or not.

One of the guys who worked there had a sidecar on his old wing we went out for a ride. Do not think I will be getting a sidecar, but it was interesting.

Oh yes the 1600 had left just a few minutes before we got there for OK on at trailer. He must not have checked the weather as it would have been a great ride down to OK. How often do you get weather in the high 60's up on the IA, MN border in Nov.

red

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well if you are in the sidecar it was a lot like ridding in the right seat of a old MGA but faster. The bike pulled to the right when you take off & to the left when you stop, & the harder you push it the harder it pulls. If you do get a side car get brakes on it. You are right no more draging you floor boards on the twisty. I think the only way I would have sidecar is if I had 3 bikes then it would be cool but not on my only bike.

red

·
2x the bike for 1/2 the $
1,175 Posts
I haven't.. but I wouldnt mind having one so I could bring my dog with me on rides. :) She'd look so cute with a lil helmet and goggles on. :lol:

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
Definitely not like a car. I have installed one and rode several. The nicest thing I can say is that they're pretty weird to ride. Also very alignment sensitive and to how much, or little, weight is in the sidecar.
So it doesn't have two wheel tracks? It is like a car in this aspect. Which is what I was saying. I agree about it being weird to ride. I have also rode one so... :confused:

·
Nobody Home
1,768 Posts
It has two wheel tracks...hence like driving a car. Unless you are getting lean angles in the turns? :shock:;)
So it doesn't have two wheel tracks? It is like a car in this aspect. Which is what I was saying. I agree about it being weird to ride. I have also rode one so... :confused:
It is not "hence like driving a car", they're weird and different. As for two wheel tracks, they "crab" enough from the drag (and toe-in) of the sidecar wheel that 3 wheel tracks is probably more correct.

·
Bug Killer Extraordinaire
490 Posts
It has two wheel tracks...hence like driving a car. Unless you are getting lean angles in the turns? :shock:

;)
I guess it depends on the setup. I followed a BMW with a sidecare. he and the sidecare were leaning, parrallel to each other.

its got me thinking about one

·
'06 V2K, Baby!
2,325 Posts
Met a guy at a shop with a sidecar. He said it was like "steering a tractor". Big handlebar moves since counter-steering is gone.

Yes - the sidecar was for his dog.

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
It is not "hence like driving a car", they're weird and different. As for two wheel tracks, they "crab" enough from the drag (and toe-in) of the sidecar wheel that 3 wheel tracks is probably more correct.
Yes it is obviously different...but it does indeed have two tracks, hence my own personal observation when I rode one. A sidecar takes a lot of the fun out of riding a motorcycle. (I must add IMO, so you don't come back and tell me that I am wrong and you are right because you had a different experience than I did)

LOL about the two wheel track vehicle being closer to a 3 wheel track vehicle. Whatever you say. I swear on this forum, if I say the sky is blue, I will get replies saying I am wrong because it isn't always blue or it is a specific shade of blue. Not worth my time to debate it. I have my own personal opinion, and last I checked everyone was entitled to their own.

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
No you're not.

;)
Yeah I got that feeling in multiple threads over time. I don't know if it's because I am a crotch-rocket rider, based on age, or because I can rub people the wrong way. I certainly don't come here with the intention of picking a fight, but admittedly my opinions can be different than others here. I quit posting here for a LONG time because of the bickering...it is on every forum to some degree, but it just gets old. Peace be with you all LOL ;)

·
Registered
194 Posts
Yeah I got that feeling in multiple threads over time. I don't know if it's because I am a crotch-rocket rider, based on age, or because I can rub people the wrong way. I certainly don't come here with the intention of picking a fight, but admittedly my opinions can be different than others here. I quit posting here for a LONG time because of the bickering...it is on every forum to some degree, but it just gets old. Peace be with you all LOL ;)
I think you just need to learn how to rub people better... ;)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.