Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You know your bike is Canadian when it needs an IV of Tim Horton's coffee to get it going in the morning.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
that's quite a contraption you built there. I just bought a test tank. It wasn't that expensive as I remember.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No doubt a proper test tank would have been better, but I was too anxious to get the first startup after many years in storage. This contraption was cobbled together in under an hour. Just a shelf bracket and a tin coffee can. The part that took a little time was soldering a barbed connector to the bottom of the can. Anyway, the good new is that she lives and breathes. Chasing down a few vacuum leaks and almost ready for a test ride!

·
Registered
4,501 Posts
I like the support bracket. I use a thick plastic lawnmower fuel tank to sync the carburetors & it's also handy for test rides as it can be bungeed to the frame with a homemade bracket. hee.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Now that it what I need next; a test ride gas tank. Hmmm, a lawnmower tank eh? I will have to look around.
Thanks for the idea!

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well Martin, I stole your idea and used a plastic lawnmower tank, but did not want to rely on bungees so I used angle brackets from the regulator mounts and some wood. I am very pleased to say that not only did this work great, but my very first test ride on this bike restoration project was a huge success. The bike (1984 ZN1100) has lots of power, sounds great and runs really well. I had my doubts because I bought it as a junker; not running, it was in pieces and had not run in 5-10 years. So now I will go ahead and buy new tires and fork seals and seal the real gas tank.
Here is a picture I took today.

·
Registered
7 Posts
When you try to seal your tank look around the metal tang that sticks down from the bottom of the tank. My tank had cracks all around that tang. I tried to seal it several times. never lasted very long until I cut the tang off and fabricated a new one with a sheet metal patch that I mig welded over the mig welded cracks.Hasn't leaked since. Talk about shitting bricks.... Trying not to damage the paint on my new antique motorcycle while grinding and welding on it upside down....... It all worked out though.. ...Oh and wondering if I was going to explode while doing the work was another facet because I never welded a gas tank before.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cracks around the tank tang must be a common problem. When I looked at mine, someone had done an extensive patch job with what looks like JB Weld. I hope it holds. I think you were very lucky your tank did not explode when you welded on it.

·
itching to ride
2,226 Posts
Wait, you welded on it upside down?
Why didn't you take the tank off the bike?

On my old GPz I brazed the tank after several patch jobs only lasted a few months each.
The metal was pretty rusted and rotten along the seam on both sides too and it would blow a bigger hole when I applied the torch.
It took some manipulating to fill the holes but I got it done.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts