Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I'm looking to install a Headlight Modulator on my 2007 Nomad. For safety reasons-:smile: . I'm looking at the Kriss brand and Kisan brand. Has anyone had experience with either one of these? If so, which brand you recommend? Any feedback will be greatly appreciated!

·
Livin' fast, dying slow
1,084 Posts
I have a Signal Dynamics Diamond Star hooked up to mine. It really hasn't worked right since I installed it. Tech support keeps telling me I have a 'ground issue'....maybe. I'm saving it for a day when I really have run out of things to tinker with. In the meantime, I think the concept is great.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I have installed three Kissan modulators. Very easy to do... it is plug and play simple. Works great.

upon getting a new bike.... this if the first thing I purchase. I am convinced it has prevented many scary moments

R. todd

·
Proud Hokie!!
564 Posts
I have a Signal Dynamics Diamond Star hooked up to mine. It really hasn't worked right since I installed it. Tech support keeps telling me I have a 'ground issue'....maybe. I'm saving it for a day when I really have run out of things to tinker with. In the meantime, I think the concept is great.
I too have the Signal Dynamics Diamond Star, and as I recall, I had grounding issues as well. Let me check later today to see how I hooked it up. I THINK that I first went for an easy ground - a screw/bolt inside the bucket (where I mounted the unit). This was confirmed with a test light. When that did not work, I BELIEVE I then ran a ground from a true ground on the bike (tapped into a known ground wire - again confirmed by a test light). But then again, the scenario could have been just opposite of that! Sucks to be old ;). Regardless of what I did - it's worked flawlessly since then!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Headlight Modulator Yea got one

Yes I’ve been using the Diamond Star Headlight Modulator for the past two years on my 06 Mean Streak .I had no problem installing it and its worked great for the past two years so much so that a few months back I installed the Back-off Tail light modulator. (Also Diamond Star Brand)

No matter what brand you decide to go with I cannot stress enough the value of a Head light modulator. I’ve ridden both with them and without and since I installed the HM people just seem to notice the bike more, not that I let my guard down or assume they will give right of way. But I’ve found over the past two years people just don’t pull out in front of me 1/10th as much, it just seems to get there attention and hold it .

Some will say that HM will upset people or attract police attention, as far as cagers go I’ve never had anyone give me so much as a sideways look in the 20,000 miles I’ve been riding with my HM. As for the police, HM are legal in all states most web sites selling them have pages that you can print out and put in your saddle bag that show as much. But with the local cops you never know, hell I was given a parking ticket at a Flying J truck stop while I was driving for PRIME Inc in Waco TX about a year ago.

In closing this long post not only do I have a Headlight Modulator after riding with one for over 20,000 miles I will not get on a bike without one

·
V2K Classic
242 Posts
This is the one I use.
Motorcycle Headlight Modulator Index by Bulb.

I have used it on my last two bikes over the past three years and never had any reliability issues with it.

I would not own a bike without a modulator on it, people see you when you have a light flashing in the front. It wakes them up from that daydreaming slumber that most motorists are in.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Never had police problems. Have had to tell some people that it was a high vis unit and that I'm not police. The four that I've had to tell that laughed at the fact they pulled over and wished me well. I've had one guy looking straight at the flashing light and pulled out in front of me anyways.

They will increase your visibility but remember there are still deer out there so keep your guard up anyways, you're still invisible.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have one on my 2006 'Nad and wouldn't want to be without it.

I have had one on my last three motorcycles and its usually the first thing I add when I buy a new bike. I bought mine from www.headlightmodulator.com (comagination) and it's a 5 minute install (plug and play).

Darryl

·
Proud Hokie!!
564 Posts
OK Scott - I pulled the headlight and it's all coming back to me! At first, I had taken the ground wire from the SD modulator and crimped a ring end on it and tied it to one of the bolts in the bottom of the headlight bucket. While that appeared to be a solid ground based on continuity and a test light, it did not work properly. I then pulled that and tied it to the black w/yellow strip (common grnd) wire coming out of the headlight wiring harness with a scotch-lock tap and it's worked perfect since then!

Hope this helps!
Ned

·
Livin' fast, dying slow
1,084 Posts
OK Scott - I pulled the headlight and it's all coming back to me! At first, I had taken the ground wire from the SD modulator and crimped a ring end on it and tied it to one of the bolts in the bottom of the headlight bucket. While that appeared to be a solid ground based on continuity and a test light, it did not work properly. I then pulled that and tied it to the black w/yellow strip (common grnd) wire coming out of the headlight wiring harness with a scotch-lock tap and it's worked perfect since then!

Hope this helps!
Ned
Thx for doing all that backtracking for me. I think this weekend I'll re-check all my connections, re-solder, and make sure I've gort a ground they can't question. [Plus it's another reason to hang out in my garage (or my "bunker' as my wife calls it) for hours My experience was the same in that my tester showed the circuit were grounded, but evidently not to the liking of the device. I've had a brake light modulator by SD for a couple of years with no problems..
Thx again!

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Wow, mine just plugged in, no wiring necessary. It's separate from the brake light modulator

·
Livin' fast, dying slow
1,084 Posts
Wow, mine just plugged in, no wiring necessary. It's separate from the brake light modulator
Live and learn I guess. I was trying to save money and don't mind the 'extra' work involved like the cutting and splicing of wiring. I kind of get into the challenge of it which was the right attitude to have when I moved all wiring into my handlebars. Now that was a good time..:cool:

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
I have the comagination on my 900 and would not as others have said be without it. I think it was plug and play but can't remember as its been in there a while.

·
Boomer
40 Posts
Hi Everyone,

I'm looking to install a Headlight Modulator on my 2007 Nomad. For safety reasons-:smile: . I'm looking at the Kriss brand and Kisan brand. Has anyone had experience with either one of these? If so, which brand you recommend? Any feedback will be greatly appreciated!
KISAN-If you're doing the headlight, consider the taillight modulator. Both are plug-n-play and worked as advertised.

·
Registered
85 Posts
It pulses, modulating means to pulse. My Signal Dynamics has two settings, and it pulses at different rates depending if I have it on high beam or low.

I have had no problems with SD modulators.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts