Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking that simply having experience in riding a bicycle will help me to ride a motorbike. I've just read about tips that you should know before starting to ride a motorcycle.
" Being experienced with the bicycle doesn't make you experienced with a motorcycle (they are both 2 wheels but are handled very different, mainly because of the ride's weight and speed). I underestimated the bike's weight and leaned too much while standing still, **** is it heavy. Also pushing the bike for the first time... when I looked at other people it seemed so easy but it is darn heavy.
However, being a bicycle rider, I somewhat knew what kind of stuff not to do, or at least to watch out for, while riding on 2 wheels. E.g. jamming the front brakes too hard, turning the handle too much, not leaning enough in a turn... that kind of stuff.
I'm not sure if it's because of my cycling experience but I found out keeping straight and balanced very easy. I believe this is because of the motorcycle's weight and speed/traction and has nothing to do with my previous bicycle riding. I might or might not be wrong, though. "
I'm interested in what people think about this. And whether you remember your first time on a bicycle/motorcycle. Does everybody was riding a bicycle first?

Thanks

·
Registered
757 Posts
I used to ride 40 miles 3 times a week when I rode my bicycle. Nothing on my bicycle prepared me for motorcycling though, to be honest. I think the reverse is true too though. I know some professional bicyclists, and what they do with their bicycles is amazing. I would add, if you can't ride a bicycle, you probably have no business riding a bike, so there must be some kind of important conection (gyroscopic precession, counter steering, etc.) ;)

·
Administrator
4,189 Posts
I think the sense of balance learned on a bicycle may be of benefit when learning to ride a motorcycle. Other than that, I really don't think a lot of other skills are transferrable.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Very interesting topic Mike. However I completely disagree with bicycles and motorcycles being similar other than two wheels. To ride a motorcycle in an expert sort of way is more like swimming. Its a physical thing knowing the limits of your ability. As is said 'sink or swim'. I just read some news from my area about excess motorcycle deaths see this link: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/london/motorcycle-deaths-safety-opp-1.6535286
Seems that the recent experimental medical treatment may be involved with excess deaths, that along with the dope that has been legalized by a certain WEF minion up here in Canukistan. These feeble riders are typically on machines well beyond their personal/physical/mental ability to ride. Sure bicycles have two wheels but your speed never exceeds 30kph, whereas many machines will do 160kph. A mishap at that speed while under the influence of dope or other medication can be fatal.

·
Registered
757 Posts
You ever see someone land on their head at 30 kph (18.6mph)? If you don't have a helmet on, doesn't matter if your on a bicycle or motorcycle, you're most likely dead. I see the majority of bicyclists without a helmet, or something that would not work very well at the speeds, especially downhill, with the much higher speeds that they reach. :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
I always wear a full face helmet with visor when riding, except in my backyard. Not sure what your point is, sure you can hit your head simply falling off your chair, doesn't mean I should wear a helmet everywhere I go. Bicycling and motorcycle riding are not the same at all, and that is my only point. Feeble persons should be weary when comparing bicycles to motorbikes, even scooters, or mopeds.

·
Administrator
4,189 Posts
Ditto. Full face helmet with visor always.

In an accident I was trapped under the bike and was sliding down a dirt road at 60+ kph. I watched through my visor while my visor and helmet was literally plowing a groove into the gravel and the dirt while I prayed the visor would not break. It did not.

What would have happened if I had an open face helmet? I likely would have needed extensive facial plastic surgery and lifetime facial scarring. Thanks to my helmet and proper riding gear, I sustained only a broken ankle and wrist. No blood was shed anywhere. No surgery needed.

·
Registered
757 Posts
I'm a full face helmet person too. Only full face, Fieldsheer Armored Jacket, excellent gloves, carbon fiber knuckles, in case I have to pop someone, and a really nice pair of Harley Davidson boots, that has incredible quality to them. If it's too hot, then I don't ride, but I have found that once you get moving, that Sun reflected off my Silver Jacket, I don't get hot, keep it over 70, and it's quite nice, even if it's 90 degrees. ;)

·
Registered
33 Posts
The OP topic wasn't really about safety gear, sorry that I mentioned it earlier. We seem to agree that riding a motor bike is quite different than riding a bicycle. Sure I rode a bicycle as a child and young adult, loved it too, but getting on a decent motorcycle and learning to ride it properly, well talk about fun. Not having to peddle like crazy up a hill, gear changes that take less than a second, leaning into a corner, accelerating, no comparison at all. I used to teach swimming classes, and boy oh boy some people just don't have the mental ability, or maybe its just bouyancy. A skilled person knows how to adapt. Just because you can wade in the water of a shallow beach doesn't mean you can swim in a big deep cold lake with nothing under your feet. Be safe riding, wear the proper gear, and don't go while under the influence, and most important of all never ride when you are angry or upset.

·
Registered
757 Posts
I find motorcycling very relaxing. It puts me in a very different place, kind of the same way I felt when I flew aircraft. Walks off of short docks can be fun too, as long as the water is deep enough. The single life can be hard, I guess. ;)

·
Administrator
4,189 Posts
In the immortal words of Queen:

"I gotta be cool, relax
Get hip and get on my tracks
Take a back seat, hitchhike
And take a long ride on my motorbike
Until I'm ready
Crazy little thing called love"

Speaking for me personally, riding makes me forget all of my troubles. It is very therapeutic which is probably why they say you never see a motorcycle outside of therapist or psychiatrist's office.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts