Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bike has been running great for the past 500 miles. Started to miss recently. I checked the timing and the points, everything is good. I traced it down to no spark at #1 cylinder. Any ideas?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Try swapping the spark plug wires at the coil. See if the problem moves to #4. I don't think a coil can fire one & not the other but let's make sure.

·
Registered
11,328 Posts
Sparkplug cap(s) can go bad with age and heat along with sparkplug wires(or for the Brits and our neighbors to the north,high tension leads)

·
Obsessed by Z1's
520 Posts
often the problem is poor voltage to the coils. A simple check with a test meter will tell the health of the wiring. With a fully charged battery, check the voltage across the two battery terminals. You should see around 12.5v. Then check the voltage on the yellow/red wire under the tank that the coils with one probe and the other back at the battery negative post. This is a switched power feed - so you will need to turn the ignition on and make sure the kill switch is set to run.

You need to see a MINIMUM of 11v - ideally over 11.5v. If you are reading under 11v, clean all the electrical connections - that's all the connector blocks, bullet connectors, etc. - and retest. With less than 11v at the coil, the spark is very weak.

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
One other thing that might happen is that the coil secondary is grounded at one end. Then one plug would fire, but not the other of the pair.
Try swapping coils to see if the problem moves.

·
Registered
175 Posts
If your plugs and coils/wires check out its probably a bad CDI or rotor pickup.In 20 years I have replaced a total of 3 on the different makes I have owned.On the last one I was in a hurry and tried to jump start with my car.You can get by with one from a ZX900A,1000R Ninja(86-87)/Concours,ZX600A-C and possibly an older GPz model.

·
Obsessed by Z1's
520 Posts
If your plugs and coils/wires check out its probably a bad CDI or rotor pickup.In 20 years I have replaced a total of 3 on the different makes I have owned.On the last one I was in a hurry and tried to jump start with my car.You can get by with one from a ZX900A,1000R Ninja(86-87)/Concours,ZX600A-C and possibly an older GPz model.
Those bikes came with points / condensors out of the factory - although it is possible an aftermarket electronic ignition is on the bike - regardless of whether he has points or electronic, he's getting spark on #4 cylinder, so either the points/condensor or the electronic ignition pickups/black box are working (#1 & #4 fire off the same coil) . The issue is likely the coil output, the spark plug wire or the spark plug/plug cap.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update:

I first checked the voltage at the coil, 11.6 volts, great. I then swapped the #1 and #4 wires on the coil, still missed on #1. I then swapped the coils, still missed on #1. I then did a compression check, 105 psi across the board. I was ready to order a Dyna S, new coils and wires and then it hit me.

I made a small adjustment, went for a 10 mile ride, and spun the tire across a few intersections, needless to say it is running strong. I'm not convinced it is fixed yet. I am going on a 30 or so mile ride tonight. If it doesn't miss the entire time, I will tell you what I did.

Thanks for everybody's help:

Jeff

·
Registered
124 Posts
W. I. H. is a small adjustment ? Curious

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I just got back, everything is good. All I had to do is move the fuel line going to number 1 so there was no kink. Its funny how you can get so narrow minded on things. I needed to go back to the basics. If it continued to miss on number 1 no mater what, then maybe there is something wrong with number 1. Yea, its called fuel starvation!!!

Jeff

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You made me get up to go look. I didn't remember that it actually feeds #1 and #2. I guess somehow #2 was getting gas and #1 wasn't. What made even look at the fuel line was that when I did the compression check, I noticed the #1 plug was totally dry and whitish in color (very lean). Don't jinx me now...

Jeff

1 - 18 of 18 Posts