Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I buy this bike from a guy who tells me its a z1 900. Vin check shows its a 76 kz900 a4. So its not really a z1 or is it? The motor says z1e.... and the frame is similar z1f... Also the forks aren't off that model and the carbs appear to be off a 77 because of the idle screw position. The wheels are grey mags. Point is do I have an amalgamation of a z1 and a kz or... is it all the same?

·
GHOSTRIDER
3,361 Posts
You have an "amalgamation" of a "KZ"-900 ...Note the twin rotors up front and the single rotor rear. The Z1's had spoked wheels with a single rotor up front and a drum brake rear. The Z1-900's had unique cams and crank shafts that made more HP than the KZ's...Hopefully Jeff Saunders aka Mr. Z1 will chime in with some notable details...Thats a VERY NICE 900 by any standards! Do the float bowls have the 17mm drain screws?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The previous owner installed the triple disk and mags as well as the forks as an after thought. No drain screws. My research tells me that its a 76 kz900 Although it was manufactured in 75 ( built in Lincoln Nebraska). Custom seat and paint job. A bracket was welded for the rear brake pedal to engage the rear master cylinder. Also the wiring was completely cleaned up. After market Koni shocks on the rear. Fly screen. I need to fix the tach. It sounds like its binding up and the needle is unsteady. The speedo doesn't work either. I think it was well worth the 1200 bucks. She sounds great too.

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,842 Posts
If it runs and rides good, judging by that and the looks of the bike, you didn't get hurt at all and should have no problem making a profit if you decide to sell come spring.

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
$1200 sounds very reasonable. Is that a brake line above the rear hub & rearward of the shock?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
wanted 1600 but they are friends of mine. Yes thats a brake line. Also I noticed the throttle has only cable and those vm's are supposed to have 2 cables. It rides fine without the second one. But am I missing something? Apparently it doesn't have to have the second cable. But would it be important to get a new throttle with cables. I know the carbs were designed with an attended purpose. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
I asked about the brake line becaue it doesn't look right & might be unsafe.... could it possible rub against the tire?

·
Registered
278 Posts
If it is in fact a 76 it could be or have parts from the 1976 900LTD. The LTD had triple disc brakes and cast wheels.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts