Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the engine number (Z1E......) and frame number (Z1F.....) have to match, or can they be different as long as they fall into the correct range for the year? Thanks

·
Motorcycle Momma
839 Posts
SoCal Mike,

Sorry no one as asnwered your post yet....I don't have the answer to your question, but if you also go down to the mechanics corner you may be a faster answer. :D

Welcome to the forum......we all love Kawis and talking about bikes. There is a lot of knowledge up here for the asking. Hope to see you up here often.

Heather

·
Registered
112 Posts
SoCal Mike, I'm still too "green behind the ears" in regards to these old Kaws, but I know you can get pretty much ANY question answered at kzrider.com A world of info there, along with some pretty cool members and some truly stunning Kawasakis. Check it out. Good luck. Jim

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
SoCalMike said:
Does the engine number (Z1E......) and frame number (Z1F.....) have to match, or can they be different as long as they fall into the correct range for the year? Thanks
They never match, Mike. As long as they fall into the correct range for the year, you'd be allright.

·
Registered
6 Posts
this could be your answer.

here is the only answer i can offer to you. i have a z1a and my numbers do not match exactly. they are roughly 40 digits apart. now this bike has been in the family for it's whole life. so unless my brother change out the engine without my knowledge than i have no doubt it is correct. good luck.

·
Obsessed by Z1's
520 Posts
Depending on where in the production run the bike is, the engine and frame numbers tend to bounce around. Kawasaki did not install engines in an exact sequence, so you can see engine numbers in the Z1's ranging from 50-100 under the frame number to 500+ over the frame number.

The engines were assembled and tested in the factory on a dyno - those failing the dyno run were pulled and rebuilt - as a consequence you can occasionally find engine numbers well out of sequence.

I have some copies of sales records of Z1's from a couple of European countries (showing both engine and frame numbers) and was surprised by the variation in numbers.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts