Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The pics below are of my 1974 Z1 streetfighter, in the beginning stages. I didn't take any "before" pics of the frame so I shot a pic of the swingarm and centerstand. The engine was just as ugly as the frame was.
I got the frame powdercoated "Smoky Chrome." The front end is from a Kawasaki ZX11C. I also have a boxed aluminum swingarm from a 1981 Suzuki GS1100E.
As far as the engine, I have a Wiseco 1105cc piston/cylinder set-up, and a head with some mild porting and polishing work. I still have to buy a set of rings and find a pair of mild, street-use cams.
Of course I'll keep everyone posted on the progress. 8)
I've found that if you click on the pictures they will appear a lot clearer. I don't don't know what I did wrong.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Pic #2

Here is a pic of the frame.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Finally, a pic of the half-completed engine.

·
Motorcycle Momma
839 Posts
inline4,

Welcome to the forum....looks like a great winter project. We can't wait to see the final result.

Keep us posted with lots of pics.

Heather

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

that's a tear down sure enough :lol:

good luck and keep us posted :wink:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Now that's a nice looking frame. If you see this, what kind of research goes into deciding on different forks, swingarm? Old Kaws were notorious for wallowy handling, I take it that the '80s models are not? I was thinking of adding metal to my '82 for that reason, maybe not necessary?

Anders

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Anders, check out kzrider.com. A world of info there. Granted, no matter what mods you do to a 30 y/o bike, you are still dealing with 30 y/o technology. I'm just doing suspension upgrades to "enhance" the performance and looks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Shocks for the bike

My friend has a 75' Kaw that he just got done restoring. You should check out a company called Wilbers. If your looking for looks and performance nothing beats these things, I have them on my 800B. They look great and are fully adjustable. I even got the high and low speed compression damping. They are fairly new over in the USA, but Ive heard only great things, plus they have a 5yr warranty. Email this guy over there at Wilbers I think his name is STeve at [email protected] he could shoot you over some pics and info. They respond pretty quick over there. Give it try good luck with the bike. Tristen

1 - 10 of 10 Posts