Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:p Any one help me with this one, I have a 1977 Z1000A chop project, the engine is unserviceable, I have been offered the engine from a 1983 Z1000J2, basically will this fit in the Z1000A engine mountings etc will I have to alter any thing for the J2 to fit?

Thanks

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,843 Posts
Well when it comes to the wiring, you're going from a charging system that used a separate rectifier and regulator, to one that's set up for a combined regulator/rectifier in the same housing. You'll also be going from a points type ignition to an electronic ignition. While I don't know all the exact wiring differences, you can count on the fact that it's not going to be plug and play. That would be a huge challenge for some while it might only be minor to others. I guess it all boils down to your abilities at figuring out how your going to do the changes.

·
This space for rent
687 Posts
If you're getting a bare motor, then it's going to cost some $$ (ok, Pounds Sterling) for the reg/rec, igniter, and the needed pieces of the wiring harness.
Plug that plugs into the reg/rec and at least 6" of the wiring. Plug that plugs into the igniter, and at least 12" of wire (6" will work), A wiring diagram for your bike. And a wiring diagram for a J2. And hopefully the electronic ignition stuff is still on the motor.

Get those and the rest is easy :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Stelle,

Thanks for the advice; the J2 engine offered comes with the rest of the bike! So I could use the writing harness etc, it is the engine mountings that worry me, having only one of them lining up, leaves more to manufacture. I have also been offered an engine & bike in an 81 LTD 1000; will this fit the existing Z1000 mountings? Appreciate all your help.

Many thanks

MAFED

·
Eddie Lawson is God!
5,683 Posts
Put the J motor in your bike. Solve your charging system dilemma by using YOUR stuff from BOTH ends of the motor. Use the COMPLETE charging system (EVERYTHING under the left side cover from the old motor on the J. And the WHOLE ignition from the 78 on the J motor. Use your carbs and manifolds.

The gaskets are the same for the ignition and the dyno cover.

You can figure out the mounts easily enough.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks elr658, I agree between the two bikes the wiring would not be a major headache, the mountings I would have to make up would be the problem as the chop has a powder coated one off frame, with drillings already made for the mounting bolts & brackets from the 77 Z1000, I assume I would have to manufacture some type of extensions to allow the J2 engine to fit securely?

Cheers and thanks for all your help

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.