Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all! this maybe a long shot but any advise may be of help. i ride a 2003 z1000 and for the last 12months or so the electrics have been a true nightmare. To start with, i wasn't getting any charge to the battery. i got a new battery and a new regulator/rectifier, but no joy. I then changed the fuse/junction box and all was great for a few weeks. The electrical gremlin has decided to move onto another part of the bike just to upset me yet again just in time for this fantastic weather. I'd been out for a blast n stopped for a coffee etc, i went to start the bike and the starter motor just wouldn't do anything. We bumped the bike n got home no problem. Once home i thought i'd try turning the bike over again, now this is where i could do with any advice,,,, I turned the key and all the electrics seemed to be fine, clocks, lights and even the starter motor worked but there seems to be no power going to the fuel pump? Any Z1000 owner knows that when u turn the ignition on, the pump and priming makes a noise like an old Spectrum computer loading up. this is no longer the case and does nothing. Any idea's peeps, my dealer says it would be best to change the entire wiring system but i'm not too sure. i'm hoping they'll be an easier n cheaper sollution!

·
Registered
11,328 Posts
I'd get some good electrical contact cleaner/preservative and spend a good day going through every electrical switch and connector removing any green crud from the male/female pins inspecting and cleaning the handle bar switches too. Be careful of the small springs and steel balls there.

A very good brand is made by Caig Labs called De-oxit. Their website is deoxit.com - Home of DeoxIT - CAIG Laboratories, Inc. I use it on my 82 GPZ1100 electrical system,my home audio system patch cables, and our cordless phone charging cradles.

De-oxit can be purchased a t the local Radio Shack. Do not use WD-40 as it will over time turn into a non-conductor(don't ask how I know!).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts