Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know enough about this bike, I read the cycleworld review but it was not what I wanted to know exactly. Currently I am riding a Ninja 250 and am looking for a street machine. I like the zx10r, zx6r, but I want something that takes on the streets well with low to middle end power and a comfortable ride with sport power and style. I pulled up next to a 2008 Z1000 and it looked and sounded awesome!!!!!! I love the way the bike looks on the street, it sounds like it handles well too. I was just wondering who loves their Z1000 and why? Are you comfortable on longer rides 1hr plus?

Thanks for your imput!

·
nu2kawi
2,707 Posts
I like mine. I can't compare it to other sport type bikes. It handles well, it's rather strong. I like the stock sound. No prob for me to take a couple hour ride. I guess I got more use to the seat. I don't do twisties with it but it feels like it could do well. Maybe not as well as bikes made for that kind of stuff. It can go fast...Some guy in a new Vet, yelled out to me 140 when we came to a stop. I wasn't racing him, but for some reason he was paceing me, and I didn't want to give it any more throttle, cause I was chicken. Wind screen really helps. eidien has done quite a bit to his, and is more familiar with this bike and I'm sure he rides his more than I ride mine. I'm 6'-0 and around 195.

A

·
0 Posts
I don't know enough about this bike, I read the cycleworld review but it was not what I wanted to know exactly. Currently I am riding a Ninja 250 and am looking for a street machine. I like the zx10r, zx6r, but I want something that takes on the streets well with low to middle end power and a comfortable ride with sport power and style. I pulled up next to a 2008 Z1000 and it looked and sounded awesome!!!!!! I love the way the bike looks on the street, it sounds like it handles well too. I was just wondering who loves their Z1000 and why? Are you comfortable on longer rides 1hr plus?

Thanks for your imput!
I like mine. It's great for 300 to 400 mile rides, which would kill me on my GSXR! The Z's biggest weakness is it's suspension! It's awful! In the twisties (at a good clip) you'll often get wheel hop, wobbles and other ill mannered handling behaviors! If you're a commuter or don't ride the canyons much or hard, it would probably be ok...

Engine performance is good, but don't try to hang with 750 or 1000cc sport bikes! They will leave you for dead!

Why did I buy one?

1) True Sport Bikes (I love 'em for an hour or so,) are way too uncomfortable!!! If you really ride a Super Sport for any extended period of time, it hurts you!

2) I grew up on Kawi inline-fours and I liked the looks.

If I was going to buy another bike though, it would be either a Ducati HyperMotard or a KTM SuperDuke. They're both a tad on the ugly side, but they are both great handling motorcycles!

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
The Z1 was the perfect upgrade for me after starting on the 500R. My check list in order of importance for my second bike was:

1. Ergos (check out my pics with the bike: http://www.kawasakimotorcycle.org/forum/want-show-off-your-ride/68725-sizing-up-bike.html)
  2. Low and mid-range power
  3. Fuel injected in-line 4
  4. Adjustable suspension
  5. Looks
The Z1 fit the bill perfectly. If you looked at the thread that I linked to you can see that the bike fits me perfectly. I've done 200 mile rides 60% twisties/40% freeway with absolutely no fatigue on the Z1--I've done 260 miles on the 500R with 70% twisties/30% freeway and bailed out of a turn and hit a dirt berm...inexperience was one small factor but the main culprit was fatigue. On the 500R, I noticed that I showed the same symptoms of fatigue that my friend did on his Ducati ST2 at the same time (we would stretch our legs or bend our wrists on straight aways while riding at the same time); when I rode with him again on the same roads on the Z1, I felt like a million bucks when I saw him stretching his legs and bending his wrists, so I know that my decision to focus on ergos paid off. I get off of the Z1 with two side effects after a long ride: 1) ringing in my ears and 2) a stiff butt (yes I agree, that seat is really a wooden plank with some material covering on it).

As for the suspension, I'm no expert but I did experience a very slight wobble once when I was decelerating from about 65 to 35 using engine braking once in the twisties, this might be what AlphaZed mentioned. I've got 3,800 miles on the bike now and I guess I'm used to the suspension but I really do want to get it adjusted for me. My guess is that is if all you've ridden is the 250R, you're going to find the suspension to be more than adequate--probably even more so if you get it adjusted.

·
Non Omnis Moriar
7,812 Posts
I wanted one bad, or at least wanted to sit on one and see how it felt. Unfortunately, they are near impossible to find within a 5-hour radius of here so I gave up on it.

Good luck.

·
Registered
11,821 Posts

Thanks for your imput!

This morning on my commute cruising around 80, I got passed up by a 08 Z1000...I of course sped to ride up to it and looked at it...Thumbed up the guy on it and waved and went to work...I love the way that bike looks...Eidian on the road that bike looks robust and bad arse...I would buy one. I sat on one at the bike show last year and liked the ergos. A tad tall for me but I am sure I could make the bike fit me. A 10R is comfy on the road for me but I needed rearsets to make it even better.

A

·
0 Posts
The Z1 was the perfect upgrade for me after starting on the 500R. My check list in order of importance for my second bike was:

1. Ergos (check out my pics with the bike: http://www.kawasakimotorcycle.org/forum/want-show-off-your-ride/68725-sizing-up-bike.html)
  2. Low and mid-range power
  3. Fuel injected in-line 4
  4. Adjustable suspension
  5. Looks
The Z1 fit the bill perfectly. If you looked at the thread that I linked to you can see that the bike fits me perfectly. I've done 200 mile rides 60% twisties/40% freeway with absolutely no fatigue on the Z1--I've done 260 miles on the 500R with 70% twisties/30% freeway and bailed out of a turn and hit a dirt berm...inexperience was one small factor but the main culprit was fatigue. On the 500R, I noticed that I showed the same symptoms of fatigue that my friend did on his Ducati ST2 at the same time (we would stretch our legs or bend our wrists on straight aways while riding at the same time); when I rode with him again on the same roads on the Z1, I felt like a million bucks when I saw him stretching his legs and bending his wrists, so I know that my decision to focus on ergos paid off. I get off of the Z1 with two side effects after a long ride: 1) ringing in my ears and 2) a stiff butt (yes I agree, that seat is really a wooden plank with some material covering on it).

As for the suspension, I'm no expert but I did experience a very slight wobble once when I was decelerating from about 65 to 35 using engine braking once in the twisties, this might be what AlphaZed mentioned. I've got 3,800 miles on the bike now and I guess I'm used to the suspension but I really do want to get it adjusted for me. My guess is that is if all you've ridden is the 250R, you're going to find the suspension to be more than adequate--probably even more so if you get it adjusted.
To put it another way, Kawasaki could have made the Z1000 a GREAT bike, but instead, they used dumbed-down ZX-9 technology, a rubber band frame and throw away suspension components. Had they created a naked bike based on ZX-10 technology and components, they would have hit the nail on the head! Even with the neutered ZX-9 motor, if it had the frame, suspension and brakes of the 10, we'd have the perfect motorcycle!

I love the looks of my Z and the ergos, but I'm undecided on whether I'll spend the $2000 to $3000 on the suspension to fix it or just sell it.

As advertised, the Z1000 "sounds" like the perfect naked bike and just one notch down from a true sport bike. But as someone who could directly compare (a GSXR and the Z,) I can tell you it's not even close! I will admit, of 13,000 miles I've put on mine, they've been a lot more comfortable than any I put on my GSXR or Ducati! Still, if Kawasaki had just made the Z handle, I'd be singing praises instead of ranting about it! :-(

I do like to look at them though!

A

·
0 Posts
I wanted one bad, or at least wanted to sit on one and see how it felt. Unfortunately, they are near impossible to find within a 5-hour radius of here so I gave up on it.

Good luck.
Buy mine and I'll ride it to Texas for ya! ;-)

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
I like to describe the Z1000 as looking like it could "...rip the balls off of the Cloverfield monster...".

ervins, you are the master of performance mods so there's no doubt in my mind that you could get a Z1 to be as bad @ss as your ZX-10R. A couple of weeks ago a guy on a '08 Daytona actually caught up to me to ask me what I was riding. He couldn't get over the looks.

This morning on my commute cruising around 80, I got passed up by a 08 Z1000...I of course sped to ride up to it and looked at it...Thumbed up the guy on it and waved and went to work...I love the way that bike looks...Eidian on the road that bike looks robust and bad arse...I would buy one. I sat on one at the bike show last year and liked the ergos. A tad tall for me but I am sure I could make the bike fit me. A 10R is comfy on the road for me but I needed rearsets to make it even better.

A

·
0 Posts
I like to describe the Z1000 as looking like it could "...rip the balls off of the Cloverfield monster...".

ervins, you are the master of performance mods so there's no doubt in my mind that you could get a Z1 to be as bad @ss as your ZX-10R. A couple of weeks ago a guy on a '08 Daytona actually caught up to me to ask me what I was riding. He couldn't get over the looks.
I get TONS of great feedback on the LOOKS of my Z! That's a given. But there's not a chance in hell that a Z1000 will EVER run and handle like a ZX-10R! NO WAY!!! (Well, short of spending a gallizion dollars on it!)

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
All valid points but I think that if Kawi would've made the bike that you described, we'd be looking at a bike that might cost as much as the VFR800. How many VFR's do we see on the street? Not many...and it's not because of the quality, that fully faired, single-sided swing arm V4 is a quality bike--it's the fact that it's $10.8k. At $8.6 I think that the Z1 is the perfect FI litre bike for city riding with good capabilities for the twisties if you're a modest rider like I am. Remember, the only other bike I've ever ridden is my '03 500R so it may be difficult for you to imagine (because you ride SuperSports) but the Z1000 is perfect in every way. I never really thought of a Z1 as being "one notch down from a sport bike", I kind of thought of it as a standard street bike that really kicks @ss.

And taking it to a different level, people like ervins who do have a ZX-10R still end up doing performance upgrades anyways (rearsets, exhaust and brakes to name a few, right ervins)?. So in-the-end, a "really good" bike is the best we could ever get from a stock bike.

To put it another way, Kawasaki could have made the Z1000 a GREAT bike, but instead, they used dumbed-down ZX-9 technology, a rubber band frame and throw away suspension components. Had they created a naked bike based on ZX-10 technology and components, they would have hit the nail on the head! Even with the neutered ZX-9 motor, if it had the frame, suspension and brakes of the 10, we'd have the perfect motorcycle!

I love the looks of my Z and the ergos, but I'm undecided on whether I'll spend the $2000 to $3000 on the suspension to fix it or just sell it.

As advertised, the Z1000 "sounds" like the perfect naked bike and just one notch down from a true sport bike. But as someone who could directly compare (a GSXR and the Z,) I can tell you it's not even close! I will admit, of 13,000 miles I've put on mine, they've been a lot more comfortable than any I put on my GSXR or Ducati! Still, if Kawasaki had just made the Z handle, I'd be singing praises instead of ranting about it! :-(

I do like to look at them though!

·
Registered
11,821 Posts
Every bike I owned got something thrown on to make it better...You should have seen me in the height of my dirtbiking days...Generally I will do what it takes to make the bike "fit" and "feel" better for me. Be it rearsets, a lowering, grips, seat shaving (some seats are like sofas), winshields, stomp pads, master cylinder, brake lines, calipers, brake pads, etc...All this to make the bike feel right for me...Is it worth it...Yes. I ride this thing every day for the most part and if it were stock, I would really not feel comfy at all or feel good about it.

You see my computer thread...I tweak my PC hard...I am about to order a new vid card (my existing one is less than 6 months old and another HD)...We all tweak our stuff to get the most out of it...

Nothing wrong with stock if it fits you...Now me...I like it to fit right and feel right...Nothing wrong with making it pretty at the same time.

A

·
0 Posts
All valid points but I think that if Kawi would've made the bike that you described, we'd be looking at a bike that might cost as much as the VFR800. How many VFR's do we see on the street? Not many...and it's not because of the quality, that fully faired, single-sided swing arm V4 is a quality bike--it's the fact that it's $10.8k. At $8.6 I think that the Z1 is the perfect FI litre bike for city riding with good capabilities for the twisties if you're a modest rider like I am. Remember, the only other bike I've ever ridden is my '03 500R so it may be difficult for you to imagine (because you ride SuperSports) but the Z1000 is perfect in every way. I never really thought of a Z1 as being "one notch down from a sport bike", I kind of thought of it as a standard street bike that really kicks @ss.

And taking it to a different level, people like ervins who do have a ZX-10R still end up doing performance upgrades anyways (rearsets, exhaust and brakes to name a few, right ervins)?. So in-the-end, a "really good" bike is the best we could ever get from a stock bike.
Agreed, but look at the Z's naked competion: The Duc Hypermortard, KTM SuperDuke, MV Brutale, Triumph SpeedTriple, etc. There's room for a price increase. I'd pay it for a bike that handles!

Also, I DO try to ride mine like a Super Sport. And riding with my Gixxer/R1/CBR-RR riding buddies is precisely when I HATE the Z. However, riding with other nakeds (FZ-1's, Buells and such,) I don't seem to have a problem! Hmmm? Maybe, I've been too harsh on my little Z? I'm not really comparing apples with apples, I'm comparing a Chevy Malibu to a Ferrari's. Forgive me Z1000 Gods! ;-)

However, I think Kawasaki might come around to my way of thinking since Suzuki has raised the performance bar with the B-King. (One hideously ugly and over-weight bike, btw, but still considered competition for our Z's.) Hopefully, the next gen Z will be based on a ZX-10 and not a ZX-14. The 14 is a GREAT bike, but less is more (weight that is,) in naked bikes. IMHO...

·
Registered
11,821 Posts
Agreed, but look at the Z's naked competion: The Duc Hypermortard, KTM SuperDuke, MV Brutale, Triumph SpeedTriple, etc. There's room for a price increase. I'd pay it for a bike that handles!

Also, I DO try to ride mine like a Super Sport. And riding with my Gixxer/R1/CBR-RR riding buddies is precisely when I HATE the Z. However, riding with other nakeds (FZ-1's, Buells and such,) I don't seem to have a problem! Hmmm? Maybe, I've been too harsh on my little Z? I'm not really comparing apples with apples, I'm comparing a Chevy Malibu to a Ferrari's. Forgive me Z1000 Gods! ;-)

However, I think Kawasaki might come around to my way of thinking since Suzuki has raised the performance bar with the B-King. (One hideously ugly and over-weight bike, btw, but still considered competition for our Z's.) Hopefully, the next gen Z will be based on a ZX-10 and not a ZX-14. The 14 is a GREAT bike, but less is more (weight that is,) in naked bikes. IMHO...
Now those bikes you listed are nice...I would own any of those...The Duke especially.

It is tough when you ride with someone who has a better bike performance wise...I remember when I had a 636 and a couple of buddies had a Gixxer 1k and a 1000rr...I could keep up in the twisties...Then off in the straights, it was a walk away.

A

·
0 Posts
Now those bikes you listed are nice...I would own any of those...The Duke especially.

It is tough when you ride with someone who has a better bike performance wise...I remember when I had a 636 and a couple of buddies had a Gixxer 1k and a 1000rr...I could keep up in the twisties...Then off in the straights, it was a walk away.
I'm a twisties guy and if my hardware can't hang with me, I get a little upset. The Z loses to SS bikes both in the straights and the twisteis! :-( But don't you think the Z1000 would have been a MUCH better bike had it come with 636 suspension (like all the folks at riderforums.com are retro-fitting theirs) in the first place? That probably wouldn't have added that much to the cost, since Kawasaki was already tooled up for it...

In a production bike I know I'll have to modify it somewhat, but seriously, to "fix" the Z1000 just doesn't make economic sense! Suspension mods are EXPENSIVE!!! Do you agree?

And great debate, btw, guys! :)

A

·
0 Posts
And btw Ervins, mutual friends (forum members) say we'd make compatible riding buddies. We should ride some time! We've got a gig starting in San Rafael on Sunday, if you're interested...

·
Registered
11,821 Posts
I'm a twisties guy and if my hardware can't hang with me, I get a little upset. The Z loses to SS bikes both in the straights and the twisteis! :-( But don't you think the Z1000 would have been a MUCH better bike had it come with 636 suspension (like all the folks at riderforums.com are retro-fitting theirs) in the first place? That probably wouldn't have added that much to the cost, since Kawasaki was already tooled up for it...

In a production bike I know I'll have to modify it somewhat, but seriously, to "fix" the Z1000 just doesn't make economic sense! Suspension mods are EXPENSIVE!!! Do you agree?

And great debate, btw, guys! :)
I agree...I am looking to do the suspension on my 10R soon...I hate that I have to spend !$2k to make it mine but then again, it is my ride...Would I rather spend $1k? Yes...Would I rather not have to do it all? Yes...The thing is though, these bikes were made for guys who are I guess average build...I am short and robust...So no tweaking will make this bike suspension better...It is either to harsh and after tweaking it, too soft...Thus I need a spring and shock...I need to get this going is all I know.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts