Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

New to the forum wanted some info on a Z1r. Looking at a 1978 that is pretty much a basket case. I wanted to know:

If any other kawi wiring harness fits this model

Was this engine the same as other 1000 engines of this time period and can i swap another model engine into it.

Any other info with regards to problems that maybe encountered with a resto of this model would be greatly appreciated

Cheers

Thib

·
Registered
344 Posts
I worked for Kaw when the z1-R came out. They sold for 3695.00. The controls would be same as the KZ1000 but the wiring harness, I'm sure wouldn't fit correctly due to wire length, etc. You could cross check part numbers between the two but I'm they would be different. As far as the engines are concerned the only difference between the 1015 cc engine in a Z1-R and a Kz1000 were the carbs. I think the R's had 28's or 29's while the 1000's came with 26's. Both had the same point ignitions, timing was the same, etc. I think the engines are inter-changeable but if I'm wrong it would only be because of the mounts on the engine case and I know someone will correct me on that aspect.(In otherwords, I don't think Kawasaki made a separate casting for the motor. I never changed engines in one. This was the first bike to run under 12.0 in the 1/4 mile. The Z1-R is suseptible to tire profile mismatch. Kawasaki recommended they be retired with the stock Dunlops, which were a matched pair. We had success with the matched pair of Continental Twins. If you get this thing back on order put only matched tires on it. I would think parts may be hard to come by. You should check a Kaw dealer to see what's available. Good luck with it. Dealer cost was about 2795.00.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow,

That is some awesome info, thanks. Just doing research at this point and I am going to the Kawi dealer to see what is availble. When you talk about matched tires do you mean having the same brand front and back or something else? Wish I could pick one up for the price originally listed on them. That was alot of money back then.

Thanks again

Mark

·
Eddie Lawson is God!
5,683 Posts
Wiring harness are different due to self cancelling signals and gauges in fairing.
Z-1Rs had 28s, others had 26s. The 18" rims do NOT take tubeless tires (fit tubes) The seat's an upholstered cinder block. The brakes are wooden (and have a weird cable operated front master cylinder. It's easier to put a tractor trailer on the centerstand. Parts are a drag to get. They wobble like a hippo in heat. I suffered through one five years and 80K miles. Did I mention I want another?

·
Registered
344 Posts
Come to think of it, the above is true. They were the first type cafe racer style bike, but only for looks. They really didn't sell that well because you couldn't do much-like add accessories for touring or carrying things. They didn't handle well, compared to bikes now. We sold one, put out by American Turbo Pack and Kawasaki. It came with a special paint job (black with pinstripping, I think.) Sold for $5000.00 and no warranty. Pretty much an uncontrollable bomb, in more than one way. All it caused for everyone was problems! More than a couple of lbs. of boost and well..........................

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was just talking to Z power across the pond and they tell me that 1972-1980 fit in these type of frames, Basically any engine that has the kickstart and is 903cc or 1015cc and chain drive. Anyone have additional info

Mark

·
Registered
792 Posts
Hey Mark.
Welcome :)

How is the Z1R comming along?

I'm also in Ontario. About an hour North of Toronto.
Where are you?
Rob

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was sure that i replied but here we go,

I have found most of the parts, carbs are redone sending the motor out for some freshening. I am in Belleville where are you exactly pretty familar with that part of Ontario

Hey Mark.
Welcome :)

How is the Z1R comming along?

I'm also in Ontario. About an hour North of Toronto.
Where are you?
Rob

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all,

New to the forum wanted some info on a Z1r. Looking at a 1978 that is pretty much a basket case. I wanted to know:

If any other kawi wiring harness fits this model

Was this engine the same as other 1000 engines of this time period and can i swap another model engine into it.

Any other info with regards to problems that maybe encountered with a resto of this model would be greatly appreciated

Cheers

Thib
Z Power do a wiring harness for the Z1r. Z1000 harness isnt the same.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts