Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just torn down the old Z500 ('80 model) to replace a badly leaking base gasket.

While I've got everything apart, I'm doing the rings (oil ring worn/siezed in piston grooves) and have done an involved carb clean, with everything except for a caustic soak/ultrasonic bath (not worth the money).

The one thing I noticed with the block off is that the piston crowns and the head are covered in a black soot from what seem to be a rich condition. The exhaust valves are a tan colour, but the intake valve and the rest of the head are black.

Should I be dropping the needles in the carbs a notch (currently down one) to their lowest position, or will this make it too lean?

It's mainly used for commuting, but we get 40'c (up to 50'c road temps) days here in summer, and if we hit the country, it gets a thrashing (has hot siezed once, but started again after a few minutes).

Any advice will be helpful, as I'm useless at carbs beyond a synchronisation.

Cheers,
Jon.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What would be the best way to stop a high-speed stutter when you're cruising at 100kph & 6-8k rpm and wind (not snap) the throttle on then?

Only happens when the bike is hot, which is why I was thinking it was a rich condition.
I didn't have much crap come out of the jets, but the bowls were full of a fine rust/dust.

I know it's a bit hard to tune for all conditions, but the majority of riding is longer than 20mins.
Would be good if I could remedy this whilst the head is off, as it's the easiest way to service them.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts