Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

All new to this site and this forum, don't know where else to turn.

I've got at z550 H1 from 1982. I recently changed the tires and while doing so I also took the opportunity to bleed the breaks and change the fluid. Then me and my husband took turns in testing the breaks, and doing so my husband made a very sudden break where the rear lifted from the ground just for half a second...he's a heavy dude...

Since then my forks have lost pressure, and even if I fill them up with air they lose it almost immediately after. I suspect there is an O-ring somewhere in there that was crushed from his sudden breaking and has started letting air out. No oil leaking anywhere, only air.

Now. why I'm posting this.

Do either of you guys have experience from similar issue and can you then confirm or reject my suspicion about one of the o-rings being the cause here?

Also, have either of you restored forks with air leakage? Do you know where I can find decent instructions that could help me get this fixed? I intend to fix it myself but so far not sure if I will have to take apart the complete forks or if a smaller intervention could be enough. I have the Haynes manual and will resort to it in case there is nothing else to rely on...but surely hope the magic of internet could come to my aid and set me off in the right direction at least.

Thanks!
Anna

·
Super Moderator
1,622 Posts
Hi Anna and welcome to the site,

This has not happened to me so I have no direct experience and hopefully someone will post soon who has direct experience. But in the meantime there are a few things you can try:

How quickly does the air leak out? Can you hear it leaking?
You could mix dish detergent with some water and brush it on anywhere where it might be leaking. Even a slow leak should show bubbles.

You are right that there are o-rings involved. If you follow this link it will show you the o-rings but don't forget to first check that the air valve is not leaking because that would be the easiest fix.

Cheers, and good luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi! Thank you!

I will try the dish detergent trick, great idea! 🙏🙂

Hi Anna and welcome to the site,

This has not happened to me so I have no direct experience and hopefully someone will post soon who has direct experience. But in the meantime there are a few things you can try:

How quickly does the air leak out? Can you hear it leaking?
You could mix dish detergent with some water and brush it on anywhere where it might be leaking. Even a slow leak should show bubbles.

You are right that there are o-rings involved. If you follow this link it will show you the o-rings but don't forget to first check that the air valve is not leaking because that would be the easiest fix.

Cheers, and good luck.

·
Registered
224 Posts
My first thought was that the link pipe (51044 on the diagram) had somehow been dislodged or the forks had perhaps move slightly in relation to this pipe.

Each fork stanchion has a small hole which the link pipe covers, so allowing the air pressure to even out between the two fork legs. If these holes are now open to the atmosphere then there’s no way of keeping the air pressure inside.

It may not be this but it’s a quick fix if it is and certainly worth investigating first.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you! I'll definitely check this before doing anything more radical 🙂🙏

My first thought was that the link pipe (51044 on the diagram) had somehow been dislodged or the forks had perhaps move slightly in relation to this pipe.

Each fork stanchion has a small hole which the link pipe covers, so allowing the air pressure to even out between the two fork legs. If these holes are now open to the atmosphere then there’s no way of keeping the air pressure inside.

It may not be this but it’s a quick fix if it is and certainly worth investigating first.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dish detergent trick FTW! It's the lower 92055a on the right fork that's causing this.

Actually consider to only change all of the 92055a's and don't mind the rest of the forks, other than changing fork oil.

Thank you guys for your tips!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts