Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
jbabb
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am playing around with an old z650. I notice the points are broken . The points cover is also cracked so it seems as thought the bike was dropped on its side at some time or another.

Can anyone tell me what the points condenser actually does. I know the basic idea of points. Is it necessary to replace the condensers with the points....I notice they are sold separately.

Thanks in advance,

jbabb

·
This space for rent
687 Posts
The capacitor is used to absorb the back EMF from the magnetic field in the coil to minimize point contact burning and maximize point life.

Ignition system - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Condenser: Those same principles of inductance create a kind of paradox, because when the points open and the coil magnetic field collapses it also induces a current in the primary as well. It's not very much because there are only a few windings in the primary, but it's enough to jump a small air-gap, such as the one between the just-opening points in the distributor. That tiny spark is enough to erode metal away from the points and you'll 'burn' the points. It prevents the points from arcing and prevents coil insulation breakdown by limiting the rate of voltage rise at the points.

Point Type Ignition Systems

They're cheaper than dirt so why not replace them?

·
Registered
2 Posts
throw them out and get yourself a set of electronic pick ups ,iv fitted quit a few of these and the best by test would be the dyna s ,simple three wire set up ,no need to ever worry about the points again,

1 - 3 of 3 Posts