Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I purchased an '88 ZL 600 A2 and have already invested in the bike and new intake valves. The machine shop said I should bore the cylinders, however I would need new o/s pistons and rings.

Any ideas ?? or would anyone know where I could pick up a in-spec cylinder and pistons?
Thanks for any info available
Ronnie

·
Registered
98 Posts
Are you sure its a 1988? I can see a 1987 listed on Partzilla but they don't show a 1988. Saying it should be bored is not the same as saying it must be bored. Why are they suggesting you bore it out? Have you explained the lack of parts to them? I am just suggesting that perhaps there is still life left in the old rings and pistons and if you are not touring the world, maybe there is no need?

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
Wiseco has piston kits for the ZL600. Not sure what over-sizes they have.
I did not see any Kawasaki OEM O/S pistons on EB.

From partzilla the ZL600 has the same cylinder block & pistons as some of the ZX600s,
so you might be able to find a good used block & pistons on EB.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good Morning,,,
WFO-KZ -- thank you so much for the questions.
  • Year - According to the title doc here in Germany it is a 1988. I believe that some websites do not keep a thorough track what might be available in outside countries or even simply updating data with what is available from manufacturers. I found this on wiki.org:
    ZL600[edit]
    The ZL600 produced from 1986 to 1997 had the same type of transplant as its bigger siblings: a slightly modified engine from the Kawasaki Ninja 600.
  • Boring - by using should, he meant that while the cylinders where at the service margin, they might leak, reduce compression or even smoke.

I did not want to chance any problems which would require opening it up again. And if I decide to sell it, I can be confident that I did my best with it. I enjoy working on bikes and do not want to leave any question about the parts and functionality of what I am working on. Unmatched cylinders can lead to the inability to adjust and sync carbs.

I bought the bike from a woman and I believe there was little maintenance performed like valve adjustment, carb adj,, etc. After determining that it had only 30psi on each cylinder, I knew the head had to come off. The intake valves where dished and could not seal properly. I bought all new ones.The exhaust valves were good, but there was so much carbon buildup in the exhaust ports that it took an entire day, with a Dremel and several attachments, to carefully clean it up. The carbs have been overhauled and now I have time to get back to the rebuild.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wiseco has piston kits for the ZL600. Not sure what over-sizes they have.
I did not see any Kawasaki OEM O/S pistons on EB.

From partzilla the ZL600 has the same cylinder block & pistons as some of the ZX600s,
so you might be able to find a good used block & pistons on EB.
Thanks Martin-csr for your info,

I had searched ebay in several countries and could not find anything which would be useable. Then finally I found a complete set of new o/s pistons and rings from Scheuerlein Motortechnik here in Germany. I was so lucky to have found them. They were delivered and then the cylinders were bored and honed to matching specs.

I have been busy with my daughter and family visiting and then our annual German Family Thanksgiving, now I can get back to the rebuild after a few Honey-dos this morning..

·
Registered
98 Posts
That's really good news. Glad you found what you needed. It looks like you will have a fine bike by the time you are done. Please keep us posted on your progress.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts