·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After being without a bike for many years i recently bought a
1984 zn1100 ltd. The bike has only 7000 miles on it and runs great. When
you shut the bike off and put it on the kickstand it leaks gas. It seems
when it is on the center stand it doesnt leak as bad or not at all. Anyone
have any ideas, i cant seem to find the leak.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

check your tank seams,fuel hose connection,petcock,carb,etc - it should'nt be too hard to find
:wink:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks

for the reply, i just checked the bike and it is still leaking but i cant seem
to find the point the gas is coming from. it is not pouring from anywhere
just seems to make a puddle overnight. thanks again

·
Registered
27 Posts
i suggest putting a cup under the overflow lines from the carbs they will be
by the swing arm if they are leaking your floats my have to be ajusted

also use a sheet under it to pinpoint where it is coming from also replace the fuel lines if they are original . i have one of these myself great bike
fenny777

·
Registered
17 Posts
here is what i found happening to me on my 84 zn1100 ltd...it has smoothbore carbs on it, but it has the stock vacuum regulated fuel valve...i left home with the bike on the center stand and a trickle charger...1.5 months later i come home to find the tank empty...thought maybe i ran it pretty dry the last time i rode it...so i fill the tank, she fires up and i go riding...come home park her on the centerstand and next morning GAS EVERYWHERE....here is what i think happened...bike sat for too long and the carb closest to the main fuel line got gummed up and the float got stuck...add to this the fact that i had the fuel valve on prime...so the gas just flowed like crazy...i turned the valve to the "on" position and PRESTO, no more problems...which means the vacuum function of the valve still works...I still probably need to get the carbs cleaned eventually, but she actually idles and runs perfect so no need just yet....

·
Registered
17 Posts
p.s....i found out which carb it was leaking from by looking at my air filter..if you still have an airbox i suggest taking it off and then wait for it to leak..that will probably tell you which carb is doing it if not all of them

1 - 6 of 6 Posts